• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Marketplace '97 Ewert, Borock Ads

32 posts in this topic

I love the line "Even if you don't have books for sale, call anyway!"

I think I will give Steve a call tomorrow. You know, just to talk.

Combine that with "Call anytime day or night" and Steve will soon have an unlisted number devil.gif

I love the line "Even if you don't have books for sale, call anyway!"

I think I will give Steve a call tomorrow. You know, just to talk.

Combine that with "Call anytime day or night" and Steve will soon have an unlisted number devil.gif

John Verzyl is like that. I used to spend hours and hours on the phone with him and we rarely spoke about comics.

VIA was Ewert, Tom Brulato and Rob Ronin (and Michael Naiman handled their ebay sales for a while). They had some amazing stuff at the time, stuff you wouldn't see from any other dealers. I remember just being beaten to the Bethlehem TOS #39 in NM that they had listed ($7000!), which I found out later was purchased by Mark Arrand (the book was later graded as a 9.4 by CGC). As a consolation, they offered me another NM copy that they had, which I purchased for $6000 (which was later graded as a 9.2 by CGC frown.gif).

I always suspected they came into existence to blow out Brulato's triplicates. tongue.gif

VIA was Ewert, Tom Brulato and Rob Ronin (and Michael Naiman handled their ebay sales for a while). They had some amazing stuff at the time, stuff you wouldn't see from any other dealers. I remember just being beaten to the Bethlehem TOS #39 in NM that they had listed ($7000!), which I found out later was purchased by Mark Arrand (the book was later graded as a 9.4 by CGC). As a consolation, they offered me another NM copy that they had, which I purchased for $6000 (which was later graded as a 9.2 by CGC frown.gif).

I always suspected they came into existence to blow out Brulato's triplicates. tongue.gif

Does Brulato still have a ton of raw books?

VIA closed up shop but would have to get someone with a better memory than me to define exactly when that occurred.

VIA closed up shop but would have to get someone with a better memory than me to define exactly when that occurred.

I think Ewert is still in South America having his face work completed, although his passport and new identity are all done.

They don't call him Steve the Schmoozer for nothing.

Steve (Borock) is one of the most personable guys I've ever met in the hobby. He always impressed me as someone who really loves the books...well, maybe not now after grading about a million of 'em insane.gif

John Verzyl is like that. I used to spend hours and hours on the phone with him and we rarely spoke about comics.

I've spent hours and hours talking to John Verzyl, and I still have no idea what we were talking about 27_laughing.gif

Both good guys to have in the hobby (how's that for schmoozing?)...

STEVE

Michael Naiman's involvement with VIA is news to me. was Naiman in the picture when Ewert was selling as ejaenter?

Michael Naiman's involvement with VIA is news to me. was Naiman in the picture when Ewert was selling as ejaenter?

I think it was just in connection with running their ebay sales. VIA had closed up (and presumably Naiman's association with them had terminated, since he started selling on ebay under his own name) well before Ewert started actively selling on ebay.

I was just recalling some facts, and didn't mean to imply anything negative about anyone through their connections with VIA. Ewert was not always considered the anti-christ in comic collecting circles.

I think Ewert is still in South America having his face work completed, although his passport and new identity are all done.

then he plans to submit his resume to cgc to become a pre-grader.

VIA attempted to bring some corporate professionalism to the Comic market.

They partnered with the idea that Rob would work the West Coast, Jason the Midwest and Tom the East Coast.

Rob Ronin did the accounting. He did a few San Diego's but basically had no interest in dealing with comic collectors.

Tom provided the financing.

Jason did most of the work.

They did not come into existance to "blow out Tom's triplicates". Tom/Jason were doing deals together long before VIA came into existance.