• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Marketplace '97 Ewert, Borock Ads

32 posts in this topic

VIA attempted to bring some corporate professionalism to the Comic market.

Well Ewert definitely brought "something" to the Comic market.

Unfortunately it wasn't "corporate professionalism".

Actually I disagree Mark - you of all people should know better as they don't call it white collar crime for nothing. news.gif

Actually I disagree Mark - you of all people should know better as they don't call it white collar crime for nothing. news.gif

Right. Many corporations cut corners to boost the bottom line.

sign-funnypost.gif

trimming is inextricably linked to boosting the bottom line...

27_laughing.gif

I recall seeing "VIA Associates" at a San Diego con in the late 90s... I always thought that was a weird name for a comic dealer. They had some sweet stuff though. All books had crystal clear mylars... (Clean mylars make all the difference in the world!) All HG stuff ... Who would have known they might have been trimmed even then!

I do miss the cons before Ebay (and even CGC). Yeah- I know ebay, the internet and CGC make everything more user friendly and convenient, but there was something about the cons that I miss!.. Wandering about a huge convention (with real dealers and not just mass media). I remember seeing PCE for the first time in the mid 90s. They were all dressed in suits and wore gloves when showing the books! I really looked forward to the cons back then! They just aren't the same now.

I do miss the cons before Ebay (and even CGC)...

I really looked forward to the cons back then! They just aren't the same now.

Same here. Back then it seemed more like a hobby and less like a business. While that may not have been true, it was my perception.

For better or worse, CGC and dealers with words like "investment" in their names have completely shattered that illusion.

Moreover, the 24/7 convention known as ebay has taken some of the romance out of real world cons. While I miss the old paper smell of a real life comic con, I don't miss the more odiferous attendees. tongue.gif

Badda bing, badda bang. foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif