• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Info needed: 1955 (3) SUPERMAN, Sugar Smacks promo mini-comics?

6 posts in this topic

Greetings to all and a Happy New Year! hi.gif

I'm hungry for knowledge, GA promo-comic knowledge... so, we'll go right to the sources! hail.gif

At a recent Estate Auction, I came across some curious items in one of my lots. I found 5 Superman mini-comics (2 being duplicates) that appear to be Kellogg's Sugar Smacks cereal promo items?

All 3 measure 7" by almost 3" (perfect box-top size?), are numbered "#1" "#1A" "#1B", have 31 numbered pgs. including the cover, all are in full-color, each has a 1955 Copyright and standard Superman/ DC Comics logos on the covers.

On the back of each one it says: "Be sure to get the other Superman comics books free in Kellogg's Sugar Smacks!" and seems to promote the two other mini-comic titles. So, there are only 3 different titles (for Sugar Smacks at least) perhaps?

They are entitled:

#1 "The Supershow of Metropolis"

#1A "Duel in Space"

#1B "The Superman Time Capsule"

I'd say that 3 of the 5 lie quite flat, only 1 or 2 seem to have a bit of water discoloring along some parts of the page egdes, yet are not wrinkled. The "Duel in Space" books appear to be in particularly choice condition for their age. Sorry folks, no scans or photos for y'all, but I'd certainly appreciate any additional info on these items.

So, what is the story on these? Did other cereals of the day offer different titles, etc? Most importantly, are they worth anything -- Individually... as a set of 3?

What then, say you folks...? shy.gif Thanks for your input...

According to Overstreet, there were only 3 of them; 1, 1a and 1b titled as you listed. It's listed on page 328 of the 36th guide. Values as follows:

1 GD 43 VG 86 FN 129 VF 260 VF/NM 390 NM- 520

1a/1b GD 40 VG 80 FN 120 VF 230 VF/NM 345 NM- 460

there's a start for ya. smile.gif

According to Overstreet, there were only 3 of them; 1, 1a and 1b titled as you listed. It's listed on page 328 of the 36th guide. Values as follows:

1 GD 43 VG 86 FN 129 VF 260 VF/NM 390 NM- 520

1a/1b GD 40 VG 80 FN 120 VF 230 VF/NM 345 NM- 460

More Superman mail order items from mid-1950s but these are from Frosted Flakes.

Guys, this is all great suff -- THANKS! thumbsup2.gif

So, were these Mail-in Premiums or packaged in with the cereal itself?

More, more... I need to know MORE ! So, what else say you...? hail.gif

bumpit.gif

Hmmm, I breezed through my trio and found nothing to confirm if they were Mail-Away or In-Package items.

They likely were not actually available inside the cereal, were they? I can't imagine that 1950's cereal packaging processes were so gentle as to insure that any copies would've been able to make it into the next century in any decent condition, yet Mail-Aways certainly might.

I simply must know more... where else can I look? Any other thoughts out there? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif