• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventure 40 - worth it?

42 posts in this topic

I'm not sure where Bill got his $4-5K estimate from without the information of being a piece out of the back cover, but here's a pic of one that sold this past year for around 4K and it was a F/G, and we know Heritage got 10K for a G/VG, so 6K for a solid GD+ sounds right on to me. Plus the fact that it has excellent eye appeal for the grade.

And even though this one has more artwork on the right edge, I doubt the other is trimmed unless it was done 30 years ago. The browning of the edges and rounded corners just aren't consistent with a trimmed copy.

adv40.jpg

I was kidding with him about the $5000 price, as Rick and I are both looking for a copy and was teasing him into not buying it....

poke2.gif

Also, anyone who buys this book should send it to CGC for review, not one of the other restoration professionals.

agreed...CGC would offer the preferred restoration check, but in this case, grading the book during the "review" period prior to purchase runs the risk of the seller backing out when he finds out his book is a 5.0, not 2.0 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hence my suggestion of Susan Cicconi

This is a walkthrough book, which means it is graded the same day it gets there. CGC would get it turned around faster than Susan Cicconi would.

hello all...

I have a scan of the back cover (been talking to the seller about this book ,and several others this past weekend)...here is what the seller told me about the book:

Staple is loose on bottom, rear cover has 2 small 1/4 to 1/2 in. pieces missing at the top and bottom of spine (he has not disclosed page quality yet, but looking at the exposed paper from back cover missing pieces, appears tannish in those spots, likely due to exposure)...I too told him that I thought he had possibly undergraded, and that the book could be a 3.0 or better...at first glance, it does look trimmed on the RHS, but I compared it to a number of copies, and found it to be consistent with all but 1 copy...so I am unsure if trimmed or not (hence, have resto check done)

I had been thinking about buying the book too, but wanted to have it "checked" first ....the seller suggested we cgc first, and I was sending him a submission form...but, like bill said, likely not more than a 4-5K copy, due to weakened demand for the character if it is a 2.0, but if it is a solid 3.0 or better, then a good price (although a nice key, none the less)...

the seller is a "timely" guy, has cap 1, Marvel 1, HT 1, etc...

rick

Is the guy's name Oliver Turner? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not sure where Bill got his $4-5K estimate from without the information of being a piece out of the back cover, but here's a pic of one that sold this past year for around 4K and it was a F/G, and we know Heritage got 10K for a G/VG, so 6K for a solid GD+ sounds right on to me. Plus the fact that it has excellent eye appeal for the grade.

And even though this one has more artwork on the right edge, I doubt the other is trimmed unless it was done 30 years ago. The browning of the edges and rounded corners just aren't consistent with a trimmed copy.

adv40.jpg

I was kidding with him about the $5000 price, as Rick and I are both looking for a copy and was teasing him into not buying it....

poke2.gif

I have other scans of this book which sold on ebay last year I believe because I inquired more scans of the book. Is this the same book as the one for sale?

I've had a day to get over my initial excitement. I'll probably pass. I have my want right now list to work through more than my want some day list. gossip.gif unless he really wants to unload quickly and I can talk him down a bit.

I'll still meet with "Craig" if he happens to come by my way. (I live close to his brother.) If that happens, I'll ask to take a look at the book.

btw, he wrote, "One of the staples is loose from the book, Loose pages result. The back looks to have a 1/4 in' piece missing at the staple, But other then that it is in great condition."

hello all...

I thank Jay for bringing up the book here, as with the exposure, he "convinced " me to buy it (with Jay now backing out, I feel better, as I hate to compete with our GA brothers out there for a book)...craig emailed me back this afternoon that he would agree to my terms of submitting to CGC for a resto check, before we complete the purchase, so that worked out well....of course, this means I will probably only own it a short time before bill gets it smile.gif

the piece out of the back cover is pretty "ugly", and the paper underneath looks tan, but the books should grade a solid 2.0 maybe a 2.5...

rick

compared to the ratty loose copy, the one on the fotress sure looks trimmed an eighth of an inch on the right. look at the guys head. only the tip of the sideburn is left and it ends at theh top of his eye.

Im just saying....

compared to the ratty loose copy, the one on the fotress sure looks trimmed an eighth of an inch on the right. look at the guys head. only the tip of the sideburn is left and it ends at theh top of his eye.

Im just saying....

hello all..

that was my initial thought, trimmed on the right (but if it was restored, they should have done something about that piece out of the back cover, it has been there a while based on the tanning of the page underneath it)...but in reviewing the heritage archives, it is in line with all but one copy, so that is another reason for the cgc check before I purchase..

thanks

rick

Im just saying....

yowch you may be right as the amount of art on the left hand side is the same so its not like its a cover shift to a miswrap on the back 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Im just saying....

yowch you may be right as the amount of art on the left hand side is the same so its not like its a cover shift to a miswrap on the back 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hello all..

true, but if you look at most of the ones in the heritage archives, they are all like that...only one copy seemed to have "more" artwork on the RHS (so maybe it was a miscut to big?)...hopefully we will know soon enough

rick