• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are posts counts important to you?
1 1

88,978 posts in this topic

Thank you kindly for clearing up the Teddy Boy confusion,sorry if any one

was offended with the comparison with Rockabilly.I have honestly wondered about

the term Ted for around 25 years now since I first came across it.No one in Canada

could seem to give me any answer.

Psychobilly made me tear out my pompadour in the pretensions it arose with here

in Ottawa.

the term Ted for around 25 years now since I first came across it.No one in Canada

in Ottawa.

I doubt anyone here would be offended by that minor mix-up.... :cool:

Yep, the Teds are the original youth subculture in Britain, taking their name from Edward VIIth, whose style of dress they adopted (and also because the second hand stores in 1950s London had a surfeit of such turn of the century clothing, and it was cheap!). There may have been antecedents in the late Victorian era of gangs having an alternative style of dress and tribal markings, but the Teddy Boys are the ones that everyone remembers, as they arrived at the exact point when rock 'n' roll, the music they immediately made their own, arrived.

They had a major resurgence in the 1970s and lasted well into the 1980s, but to spot one these days on the streets of London would be extremely unusual. I haven't seen one in London for at least 20 years...they've all gotten old and lost their quiffs. Rockabillies are never seen either.

You may see a few Ted throwbacks in Southend (a timewarped Essex seaside resort, 60 miles east of London) though.

in Ottawa.

Yep, the Teds are the original youth subculture in Britain, taking their name from Edward VIIth, whose style of dress they adopted (and also because the second hand stores in 1950s London had a surfeit of such turn of the century clothing, and it was cheap!). There may have been antecedents in the late Victorian era of gangs having an alternative style of dress and tribal markings, but the Teddy Boys are the ones that everyone remembers, as they arrived at the exact point when rock 'n' roll, the music they immediately made their own, arrived.

They had a major resurgence in the 1970s and lasted well into the 1980s, but to spot one these days on the streets of London would be extremely unusual. I haven't seen one in London for at least 20 years...they've all gotten old and lost their quiffs. Rockabillies are never seen either.

You may see a few Ted throwbacks in Southend (a timewarped Essex seaside resort, 60 miles east of London) though.

Goldie knows this stuff because he was there. He has a Lazarus Pit in the cellars of his ancestral pile in Lestercesterwoostershire and is actually 4,000 years old.

The only hole in his story is that no one believes for a second that he has ever set foot in Southend. :ohnoez:

in Ottawa.

Goldie knows this stuff because he was there. He has a Lazarus Pit in the cellars of his ancestral pile in Lestercesterwoostershire and is actually 4,000 years old.

The only hole in his story is that no one believes for a second that he has ever set foot in Southend. :ohnoez:

Actually it's a portrait in the attic.

And I know I'm far too posh to go to Southend, but I have been there. Honest. :cool:

He's really Bill Grundy - Solomon's older brother.

You've got another five seconds. Say something outrageous.

You rotter.

:slapfight:

You're too young to know :baiting:

Thank you :banana:

:golfclap: