• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are posts counts important to you?
1 1

88,978 posts in this topic

tallyhoing the tallywhackers tonight teddyboys?

I haven't seen a teddy boy on the streets of London since the early '80s. Or rockabillies, psychobillies, mods, and rockers.

I rarely, if ever, see any punks, skins, goths, etc. on my city's streets anymore either - must be at least a decade, although there are occasionally the odd goth types lurking around Camden market. But it's very unusual.

You go to gigs these days, everyone dresses roughly the same. Do I miss the days of tribal London, the seedy rundown hellhole of the late ' 70s?

Not really.

How COOOOOL is this!?!?

THE KING!

Great footage. :applause:

It's odd looking at interviews with the King, especially from that era, when he was sort of out in the cold - he hadn't been rehabilitated by fandom at that point as the greatest comic creator in history.

One thing is noticeable - he's a quiet, fairly introverted man in that clip, very much the opposite of the garrulous Mr. Lee. He wasn't given all that much airtime to be fair - the format of the segment ( the usual relentless biff! bang! pow! bollocks) being somewhat belittling.

Anyone notice that they referred to The Clash (and Kirby) as being on the fringes of pop culture? How dare they!!!!