• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Very tricky spoof email NOT from eBay BE CAREFUL!

15 posts in this topic

Almost fell for this one. I did forward it onto spoof@ebay.com.

Aw-Confirm@eBay-members.com +Add contact

Reply-To:Aw-Confirm@eBay-members.com

To: dwalthrop@hotmail.com

Subject: Message from grewstrop: #3246151344 -- response required

eBay New Unpaid Item Message from grewstrop: #3246151344 -- response required

Dear member,

eBay member grewstrop has left you a message regarding item #3246151344

View the dispute thread to respond.

Regards,

eBay

Also to note, "View the dispute thread" was actually a link to this: THIS IS NOT AN EBAY URL SO DO NOT ENTER YOUR INFO!

believe it or not I fell for one of those about a year ago and typed in my password info. Fortunately I realised it right after I finished it and immediately changed my passwords for ebay and paypal. Being paranoid, I also changed any other password I had that was remotely similar. Being even more paranoid I cancelled the credit cards listed on paypal and ebay and got new ones.

None of these emails are "tricky" if you just go to your ebay home page if you suspect something. All disputes/messages will be listed there.

Give him some slack, he is from the Lone Star state afterall... gossip.gifgrin.gifpoke2.gif

I got one of those a couple months ago. I knew it wasn't legit, but what really gave it away was that it was for an item where I not only left positive feedback for the seller, but he did the same for me. Hmmm...he leaves a positive, then files a non-payment notice months later. 27_laughing.gif

If you're not familiar with these scams, some of them can fool a lot of people.

Well, I know that... all I'm saying is that this is the first time I've seen one as an "unpaid item dispute"

I get one of those at least once a week makepoint.gif

...and I get them at least once a DAY! They have gotten much better...many of them even manage to reference an item in which you actually were the winning buyer or the seller. But I get SO many they have become really easy for me to spot...all have misspellings, improper grammar and other obvious errors, plus the type fonts are incorrect.

But aside from checking your My eBay messages, a faster and easier way to validate these is if you just point your mouse at the "log-in" link, the REAL url you are actually being sent to pops up at the bottom of your screen. And trust me, scammer url's are VERY easy to recognize!