• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore

Are you a fan of Moore's work?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of Moore's work?

10 posts in this topic

I only haven't read the Superman annual. I have Secret Origns covered because Phantom Stranger is one of my favorite characters.

One only has to read his novel Voice of Fire to understand why Moore is the best in the business IMHO. The guy doesn't create exclusviely with elements just from within his own medium but has a more than fundamental understanding of literary tools and devices. Even someone who I completely admire like Gaiman - who is as literaly-adroit as they come in the field - isn't quite on the same level (even after having several respectable novels to his credit - none of which I think exceeds his Sandman Run, excluding perhaps his collection Smoke and Mirrors).

He's basically the antithesis of the curent House of Ideas which makes him snonymous with quality.

Just a big fan of Moore. cloud9.gif

I'm a fan of some of Moore's work, and one of these days I should get around to reading MM and Swamp Thing by him.

I've read enough solidly mediocre work by him to feel he is too prolific for his own good, but when he's good he's very good.

Neil Gaiman is more problematic for me, while it's clear he's quite literate and imaginative, I find him to be too magical for my own tastes.

Interesting results so far.

16 fans - 6 non-fans

20-2 have read Watchmen. Not surprised about this, as Watchmen is very well-known and very highly regarded by most.

16-6 have read The Killing Joke. Considering how many printings of this issue there are, the high number of readers isn't surprising.

14-8 have read V for Vendetta. I'll bet that 2 years ago, this number would have been quite a bit lower. I know news of the movie finally motivated me to pick up the TPB, even though it had been on my radar for awhile.

13-9 have read Saga of the Swamp Thing 21. I guess the next question is how many have read all, or the majority of, Moore's Swamp Thing run.

11-11 have read Miracleman. I assume the relatively low numbers here compared to the acclaim the run gets are due to availability/cost of the issues. This is the only thing I included in the poll that I haven't read, for the reasons mentioned.

Tied at 10-12 are Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and For the Man Who Has Everything (Superman Annual 11). Obviously the bias against Superman that so many seem to have is showing here. 893naughty-thumb.gifpoke2.gif Actually, these haven't been reprinted a billion times and the individual issues are relatively expensive and hard to come by, so...

Lowest is Secret Origins 10 at 7-15. No surprise to me, as the issue isn't particularly well-known and features the Phantom Stranger (hardly the best selling character of all time), although it is probably the best of the series. For those who don't know, the issue contains 4 short stories by different writer/artist teams concerning possible origins for the Stranger. It is definitely worth the $1 for those of you who haven't read it.

Superman Annual 11 was the first Moore work that I owned. I picked it up out of the back-issue bin at Styx when I was 12. That was when I first started buying comics regularly and I didn't know who Alan Moore was at the time, but I definitely recognized how good the story was. I learned a lot more as time went on and haven't yet come across a Moore story that I didn't like. On a side note, I've never seen another copy of Annual 11 in person. It's not high on my list or something that I've searched long and hard for, but I wouldn't mind getting an upgrade if I come across one since my copy isn't very good (well, actually, it is Very Good tongue.gif).

I guess the next question is how many have read all, or the majority of, Moore's Swamp Thing run.

hi.gif In my opinion it is still his best work and certainly his most influential, and completely came out of left field (at least for American readers).