• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA grading

42 posts in this topic

oK So here's my new comicbook idea

Hoo Ha Comics Featuring Britney Spears

pubished by Foxing Comics

Now all we need to do is research any pub domain Cole covers and do a little color-jobbie until whatever Jungle Gal is blonde!

(Issue 1 could be vs. the Nefarious Mr. Federline who will become K-Fed in volume 2!)

Now all we need to do is research any pub domain Cole covers and do a little color-jobbie until whatever Jungle Gal is blonde!

(Issue 1 could be vs. the Nefarious Mr. Federline who will become K-Fed in volume 2!)

3186TerrorsoftheJungle19_2.JPG

Just cracked the D copy of Western Comics #1. CGC 7.0, label states off-white pages.

Those off-white pages sure are dark. Cream in the center and tan on the edges. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Sorry to hear that.

I've suspected that CGC was a bit optimistic about page quality on some of the D copies I've seen. Hard to be certain because you can't crack the slab before you buy.

sign-funnypost.gif Nicely done, theagenes!

Just cracked the D copy of Western Comics #1. CGC 7.0, label states off-white pages.

Those off-white pages sure are dark. Cream in the center and tan on the edges. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Sorry to hear that.

I've suspected that CGC was a bit optimistic about page quality on some of the D copies I've seen. Hard to be certain because you can't crack the slab before you buy.

Yup - which is why I won't touch a D book from the recent big haul.

I can learn to live with browning/transfer stained/oxidized interior covers if the pages are really nice, but books with tan page edges labeled as off-white....ugh.

I'm afraid this is going to slingshot back on CGC as more folk crack books and the stories get told.

STEVE

27_laughing.gif

That sucks. Somewhere on the boards recently I posted an analysis of page quality on books I have cracked. It seems to fit your scenario.

sign-funnypost.gif Nicely done, theagenes!

yes, very nicely done,.. leave it to CGC forum members to take an idea and run with it. 27_laughing.gif

It looks to me like there is definitely a small GA bump & special circumstance bump as well (Pay Copy anyone - imagine the fury that would be unleashed on these boards if a run of the mill SA book with that writing on the cover got a 9.0!)

There is also rumor of a SA DC downwards bump as well.

From some of the Heritage scans I have seen, I would have to agree that some of the pedigrees do seem to get a bit of a bump. Don't know if it's because the graders are intimadated by the status of the pedigree. Then again, I thought they weren't supposed to know the orgins of the particular book they are grading.

On the other hand, I also definitely noticed a downwards bump on any purple slab restored books. Probably a much easier target for them to hit since there seems to be some pretty sharp looking 8.5 purple slabs in comparison to some of the not so nice looking 9.0 or 9.2 blue slabs. confused.gif

HAW!

but that can't be that real Britney with a modest pose like that.

Come to think of it, the other themes on this thread were "cracked comics" and "undisclosed restoration". Curiously appropriate.

Jack

It looks to me like there is definitely a small GA bump & special circumstance bump as well (Pay Copy anyone - imagine the fury that would be unleashed on these boards if a run of the mill SA book with that writing on the cover got a 9.0!)

From some of the Heritage scans I have seen, I would have to agree that some of the pedigrees do seem to get a bit of a bump. Don't know if it's because the graders are intimadated by the status of the pedigree. Then again, I thought they weren't supposed to know the orgins of the particular book they are grading.

On the other hand, I also definitely noticed a downwards bump on any purple slab restored books. Probably a much easier target for them to hit since there seems to be some pretty sharp looking 8.5 purple slabs in comparison to some of the not so nice looking 9.0 or 9.2 blue slabs. confused.gif

I always thought that had to a lot to do with the suberb interiors of most pedigrees and the structure of the books.

I always thought that had to a lot to do with the suberb interiors of most pedigrees and the structure of the books.

Borock has said they give a small bump to quality pedigrees -- more in the nature of when a book is between grades that the pedigree might be given the benefit of the doubt and assigned the higher grade.

Don't know if it's because the graders are intimadated by the status of the pedigree. Then again, I thought they weren't supposed to know the orgins of the particular book they are grading.

Does anyone really think that when Borock, Haspel and Stephan look at a GA pedigree book, particularly with distinctive markings like a MH or D book, that they don't know what it is?

That is because a lot of restoration that looks good in a scan or through a slab looks a lot more obvious in hand, out of the slab.

Borock has said they give a small bump to quality pedigrees -- more in the nature of when a book is between grades that the pedigree might be given the benefit of the doubt and assigned the higher grade.

Give up the bump!

Gotta have that bump!