• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of these scanners work for slabs?

55 posts in this topic

I'll be buying a scanner this wednesday I'd like one that scans slabs nicely.

The 3 choices I've found at the local walmart are:

the HP F380

the HP C3180

the HP F335

Has anyone here used the any of these models and do they work well?

Any information would be greatly hail.gif

Thanks Lawrence

I recently bought a new all-in-one (printer/scanner/copier/fax) HP 7310. It's great because it's one of the few that has a legal-sized scanner that handles slabs. I've never personally used any of the models you mentioned though.

can't help with those hps

is there a staples there?

I have a Microtek scanmaker x12 usl

legal size of course

ordered online and picked up 3 days later

yes it was a little pricey, but not the most expensive legal size out there

scans fast and does a great job, even cgc magazine size scans

you can see the scans on my site

web page

for those who have sigs off

We have an old HP 1170Cxi, and it produced excellent scans on slabbed books. It had a legal size bed as well. I would guess that HP's technology capabilities span the line of their products.

We now have a Dell, and it doesn't work on slabs worth a spoon.

Most HPs (or Epsons) should be fine although you'll need a legal size scanner to scan slabs in one pass. (Otherwise, you'll need to stitch two scans together.)

Stay away from Canon for scanning slabs. (Although I like their printers.)

I recently bought a new all-in-one (printer/scanner/copier/fax) HP 7310. It's great because it's one of the few that has a legal-sized scanner that handles slabs. I've never personally used any of the models you mentioned though.

Same here - like it a lot. Works well on slabs. I really like the Scan To function - you can sit at the scanner, put something on the scanner, and then Scan To the program or whatever you choose from the menu. Scan 15-20 in a row, then wander over to the PC you were scanning to and hit the Done button and all your scans pop up.

Also it's a networked device - so you don't have to plug it into a computer, you can plug it into your router. Install its software on any/all your pcs on your network and then those where you did the install can use it to scan/print/etc.

Only the PC using the HP has to be turned on, unlike in a sharing setup. If you try to share a printer/scanner between 2 PCs, you would always have to have the one running where it's attached so that the other PC could use it. boo.gif

can't help with those hps

is there a staples there?

I have a Microtek scanmaker x12 usl

legal size of course

ordered online and picked up 3 days later

yes it was a little pricey, but not the most expensive legal size out there

scans fast and does a great job, even cgc magazine size scans

you can see the scans on my site

web page

for those who have sigs off

This is what I use, and FFB, and comgeek(and I think another boardmember). I'm very happy with mine, as well. Here's an example...

thrilling11.jpg

Yes there is a few staples,bestbuy,futureshop but I have not seen the Microtek in stock!

Thery were no physically in stock at the staples I shop at either, I ordered it online, from staples, and had it shipped free to the local store for me to pick up.

Yes there is a few staples,bestbuy,futureshop but I have not seen the Microtek in stock!

Thery were no physically in stock at the staples I shop at either, I ordered it online, from staples, and had it shipped free to the local store for me to pick up.

The Problem is I am a good 2 hr drive to any major city tonofbricks.gif where these big box retailers are located.

The Problem is I am a good 2 hr drive to any major city tonofbricks.gif where these big box retailers are located.

gossip.gif I ordered mine online and had it shipped directly to my house.

Is that model fast?

I am using a HP Dinosaur (C4 I believe..the lid is missing)...but I have done 15-20,000 scans and she's still kickin' strong! And it'll do a full size scan in like 4-5 seconds. The bad thing is that it's kind of big & bulky. They can be had on Ebay for $20 used. But,I'd like to get one for my shop that has it all like the HP 7310. I have bought 2 other scanners recently and they are just too damn slow. Thanks! Joey

Is that model fast?

I am using a HP Dinosaur (C4 I believe..the lid is missing)...but I have done 15-20,000 scans and she's still kickin' strong! And it'll do a full size scan in like 4-5 seconds. The bad thing is that it's kind of big & bulky. They can be had on Ebay for $20 used. But,I'd like to get one for my shop that has it all like the HP 7310. I have bought 2 other scanners recently and they are just too damn slow. Thanks! Joey

I'm happy with my HP 7310!

I read all the other threads about scanners.

Here is a list of ones that worked well on slabs:

HP models:

3c

1170 cxi

3400c

5200c

3500c

3970 (most popular 1 person claimed to have problems)

Microtek models:

x12usl

i700

Canon models:

8400f

pixma mp 750

LiDE 25 (was claimed to work by some and not work by others)

4200f

Epsonmodels

gt 10000+

Mustek models

A3 (11x17 bed can fit OA as well as do slabs)

Scanners that do not work on slabs.

HP6210

HP5510

Canoscan n340p

lexmark 75