• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA cover original art...

17 posts in this topic

(There's probably an existing thread that this would fit, but can't find it so here's a new one!)

I went to the "Masters of American Comics" show at the Jewish Museum here in NYC yesterday. In addition to rooms full of original art by Eisner, Crumb, Kurtzman, Kirby and many others, there's a room devoted to GA superhero comics with some truly mind-blowing original art, including a great many covers. Among the work that blew me away:

--Covers to Superman #14 (!!) and #12 by Fred Ray

--Cover to Action #44 by Fred Ray

--Covers to Detective #70 and #71 by Jerry Robinson (there's also high grade copies of both in a display case, including a stunning #71 on loan from Steve Geppi that looks very close to NM)

--Covers by Schomburg: Human Torch #16, Speed #35 and All-New (#9? I think)

--A gorgeous Lou Fine page from Wonderworld #10

--In the Eisner section, tons of Spirit section covers and interior pages (at least one of which was on loan from our own Jon Berk)

--In the Kurtzman section, covers and stories from Mad, plus the complete story to "Corpse on the Injun" from Two-Fisted Tales (superb inking on this one)

All of the pieces on display impressed me, but I was astonished to see the covers in particular, as I truly had no idea some of these pieces still existed. So I'm curious now: what other early GA covers (say, the 1938-1943 period) are known to have original art that still exists?

(There's probably an existing thread that this would fit, but can't find it so here's a new one!)

I went to the "Masters of American Comics" show at the Jewish Museum here in NYC yesterday. In addition to rooms full of original art by Eisner, Crumb, Kurtzman, Kirby and many others, there's a room devoted to GA superhero comics with some truly mind-blowing original art, including a great many covers. Among the work that blew me away:

--Covers to Detective #70 and #71 by Jerry Robinson (there's also high grade copies of both in a display case, including a stunning #71 on loan from Steve Geppi that looks very close to NM)

--In the Eisner section, tons of Spirit section covers and interior pages (at least one of which was on loan from our own Jon Berk)

--In the Kurtzman section, covers and stories from Mad, plus the complete story to "Corpse on the Injun" from Two-Fisted Tales (superb inking on this one)

All of the pieces on display impressed me, but I was astonished to see the covers in particular, as I truly had no idea some of these pieces still existed. So I'm curious now: what other early GA covers (say, the 1938-1943 period) are known to have original art that still exists?

Stevie Fish has quite a few early GA covers. Check them out, they are astonishing.

Art!

"Corpse on the Imjun"

hail.gifhail.gif

I may have to take a visit -- it sounds like it might have as much quality artwork as Jon Berk's "museum" cloud9.gif

Thanks for the responses so far, folks. I'd forgotten about the covers owned by Metro. Detective 28 & 30, Superman 16 and a couple of other early ones. More wonderful stuff.

And the cover art to Batman #11 still exists, correct?

Any other major covers from 1938-1941 (or even earlier) still around?

Thanks for posting PF ... sounds like an excellent exhibit. Wish I lived nearer, I'd make the trip.

Here is the link to images in the exhibit, when it was in Atlanta:

http://www.cagle.com/hogan/features/breman/breman.asp

I HOPE this is the same exhibit, but how many Wonderworld #10 pages are there?? Maybe PT can verify this.

Hi Ryan, that's it exactly. Not everything in that Atlanta show is displayed at the NYC show, but most of the major pieces are definitely the same. Thanks for the link!

Thanks for posting PF ... sounds like an excellent exhibit. Wish I lived nearer, I'd make the trip.

I HOPE this is the same exhibit, but how many Wonderworld #10 pages are there?? Maybe PT can verify this.

The first time I saw a link to an.article regarding this exhibit somewhere, I swear there was a pic of the Human Torch cover, but I haven't been able to find it since. Does anyone happen to have a pic of the OA to that piece?

Any other major covers from 1938-1941 (or even earlier) still around?

Jon Berk owns the Planet Comics #1 cover.

I believe KK (if he is who people say he is) bought the Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 cover at public auction in the 90's. If memory serves Jon Berk and possibly others mentioned that on the boards.

Keif Fromm has an absolutely killer group of Golden Age original art covers in his comicartfans.com gallery -- Hit Comics #5 by Lou Fine, the iconic Master Comics #27 by Raboy, GA Ghost Rider #2 by Frazetta and some other nice GA covers.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3844

The first time I saw a link to an.article regarding this exhibit somewhere, I swear there was a pic of the Human Torch cover, but I haven't been able to find it since. Does anyone happen to have a pic of the OA to that piece?

There ya go . . .

4hsyj3n.jpg

I have a handful of 1940s (Pre-Trend) EC covers in my CAF Galleries.

There are three WW10 pages....The one on display and these two I have....

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5027

That will lead you to the Planet cover

This link will take you to a great Pep cover

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5034

Schomburg piece which if you look at it probably was the prototype for Suspense 3, especially if you read the interior piece on the "Story behind the cover" feature

SEE MY OLD CBM ARTICLE BELOW ON THIS COVER

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5137

intersting cover...probalby simon

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5034

Gill Fox covers

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5136

....and the wonderful gus ricca covers

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5160

Enjoy.....

There are three WW10 pages....The one on display and these two I have....

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5027

That will lead you to the Planet cover

This link will take you to a great Pep cover

I love that splash for the Ray!

Schomburg piece which if you look at it probably was the prototype for Suspense 3, especially if you read the interior piece on the "Story behind the cover" feature

Very interesting!! and yes, the similarities are way too striking to be coincidences!

Very interesting!! and yes, the similarities are way too striking to be coincidences!

Here is a short note I did on this theory for CBM. I am convinced it is the prototype

PROTOTYPE OR RE-TREAD?

Click.

The last issue of CBM spotlighted the run of Suspense Comics, and particularly the third issue with the classic Schomburg cover. Other than the postage size reproduction in the Gerber Photo-Journal and occasionally viewing the book from afar at infrequently attended comicbook conventions, I had never had an opportunity to view the third issue with any degree of care until it was reproduced in the color gallery of CBM 30. After looking at it a bit, it seemed oddly familiar, as if I had seen it in some other form.

Click.

I pulled out a copy of All-New Comics 8. There it was. Another Schomburg cover. As viewed, there was a bound blond threatened by an upturned sword. Both issues have the woman surrounded by monstrous Nazis, some hooded in Klu Klux Klan fashion. Both impending executions are set in a tropical locale surrounded by raised walls or land with desperate rescues in sight. In one, a Nazi shoots a revolver from the lower right to the upper left while in the other the shot starts from the lower left and goes to the upper right. Instead of the spear set to be flung from up above in Suspense 3, there is a machine gun firing down into the scene of impending mayhem. Of course, the All-New cover prominently features the “Red Blazer” and the “Boy Heroes”, the title’s resident heroes. However, the overall composition and feel of each cover are obviously similar. Mere coincidence?

Click.

Suspense 3 has an April 1944 cover date while All-New 8 has a cover date of May 1944- only one month apart! Logic would dictate that Schomburg had to have created these covers in close temporal proximity to one another. Commencing with issue 6, All-New’s prior sporadic output went on an every other month schedule. One could hypothesize that the owner of the title would want to insure a regular schedule by having several issues already prepared. The first Schomburg cover was with the seventh issue. Could Schomburg have created the cover for issue 8 well in advance of its scheduled release? Is it possible that the cover to number 8 was the prototype/inspiration for one of the classic comicbook covers of all time? Is it possible that the cover to issue 8 was created before Suspense 3?

Click.

All-New Comics contained a text feature that was entitled “The Story Behind the Cover”. The text would then relate a short story. The cover to a particular issue illustrated a dramatic moment from that story. Obviously the text piece and cover in issue 8 involved the comic characters of that title. Succinctly, the story in All-New 8 involved the abduction and planned execution by Nazis of the daughter of the French commander in North Africa. However, these plot elements apply with equal force to the cover of Suspense 3 as demonstrated by the following abbreviated excerpt from All-New 8:

Marianna Le Clair was of that startling beauty which

made all stop to stare...Yes, she was a famous general’s

daughter. The General was...[the French] commander of Camel Corps..[in] North Africa. [As she strolled through a bazaar] ...on hot sultry day...a dirty rough hand..went across her mouth... a sharp blow struck her temple....and she lost all

consciousness....

A shrill woman’s cry stabbed the sultry air ...

[T]russed by heavy rope, lying limp and helpless was pretty

Marianna....Over her hovered devilishly fantastic creatures,

garbed in weird costumes. To a side, a fiendish-face Nazi..

squatted. In the center of the piazza a ...man stood

raising a wicked short sword....

The cover to Suspense 3 had no relationship to the content of that comicbook. It may be stated that while this cover represents the ultimate “refinement” of the cover/concept of All-New 8, it is, nonetheless, a refinement. Clearly, the text piece of All-New 8 easily reflects the scene depicted on Suspense 3. Is the cover to All-New 8 the prototype for the cover to Suspense 3? Is the text piece of All-New 8 the inspiration for the cover of Suspense 3? You be the judge.

Click.

JSB 1996