• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone explain this to me?

12 posts in this topic

So, I have a full run of these in about 9.2. Am I missing the boat here? Should I let them go? I've never seen anything like this for these.

Check his other auctions for the rest.

Selll em

So, I have a full run of these in about 9.2. Am I missing the boat here? Should I let them go? I've never seen anything like this for these.

I got beaten out by a forum member for a raw HG #1 and #2 about 1 month ago. They are very popular, they are DC and therefore not easy to find in HG (1970, 1971). These are the first graded 9.8 for the whole 6 book series.

It is currently sitting at about 6.5 times 9.4 guide.

It doesn't seem too crazy to me.

Insanity...and I doubt the grades are CGC comparable. Greggy asked the guy for high-res scans and didn't get a response. If you're gonna start claiming 9.6/9.8 on scarce books like these, you better at least be able to supply nice scans! High bidder on a couple of his books is big Joe S, maniacal collector of ultra-high grade early bronze DC's, hope he's happy with them!

Insanity...and I doubt the grades are CGC comparable. Greggy asked the guy for high-res scans and didn't get a response. If you're gonna start claiming 9.6/9.8 on scarce books like these, you better at least be able to supply nice scans! High bidder on a couple of his books is big Joe S, maniacal collector of ultra-high grade early bronze DC's, hope he's happy with them!

Exactly. Those scans suck, and they don't look like 9.8s to me, and even if they were, they're not worth the price.

I got beaten out by a forum member for a raw HG #1 and #2 about 1 month ago. They are very popular, they are DC and therefore not easy to find in HG (1970, 1971). These are the first graded 9.8 for the whole 6 book series.

It is currently sitting at about 6.5 times 9.4 guide.

It doesn't seem too crazy to me.

It was greggy!!!

Don't forget one important factor in considering the lunacy of the bidding. Notice that this seller double listed this item in toys and hobbies. Hot-Wheels collectors go bananas over these comics.

It's one of those double collectible field items. Both comic collectors & hotwheels collectors will be fighting over any issues of these double demand comics.

If you think that the price is crazy for the comics, check out some of the prices on the hot-wheels cars themselves ($1000+ for the right ones with the rare paint)!! You can buy the actual full size car, for the same price of what some of these different, rare, hot-wheels cars go for!!!

" He would then cherry-pick the finest 50 to 100 copies of the thousands delivered, keeping the two or three best for himself. Those books were bagged and filed, unread and vitrually unhandled, and kept in an ideal, climate-controlled environment for the past three decades. "

Can you match this better than mint description on your books?

I suppose it's possible, but I have read this type of description too many times to actually buy into it. How long does it take to sort thru "thousands" of books, let alone try to grade them while you do it. But then, this looks like a reputable dealer. Is this a standard comics dealer phrase? Like "Only driven to church once a week by a little old lady."?

" He would then cherry-pick the finest 50 to 100 copies of the thousands delivered, keeping the two or three best for himself. Those books were bagged and filed, unread and vitrually unhandled, and kept in an ideal, climate-controlled environment for the past three decades. "

Actually reminds me of the ebay seller barksduckduo or something like that if you remember him.

Can you match this better than mint description on your books?

I suppose it's possible, but I have read this type of description too many times to actually buy into it. How long does it take to sort thru "thousands" of books, let alone try to grade them while you do it. But then, this looks like a reputable dealer. Is this a standard comics dealer phrase? Like "Only driven to church once a week by a little old lady."?

I have bought several books from this seller in the past, and although described as 9.8's and cherry picked they are anything but! Nice books, but maybe 9.2-9.4, and not worth the premium he's getting.

Steve