• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 on eBay

26 posts in this topic

I have looked at this copy rated a 5.0 and the other one rated a 7.5 and I do not see why the 7.5 is supposed to be so much better. This happens too often with restored books . sometimes you get the feeling the feeling that when it comes to restored boos (even action 1s) they tell the graders "Hey it's restored, so who gives a spoon. Just glance at the thing for two seconds and slap a number on it. Save your time for the important stuff, like that stack of Ultimate AvengersLimited editions. You need to go over them with a microscope to see which ones are 9.5s and which are 9.8s.."

Along with the still-visible defects, the 5.0 grade could be because of interior page issues or interior cover issues (non-recreated interior art/text on the cover being a common culprit of the "nice looking, low-CGC-grade restored book" quandry). I have seen several restored books that looked horribly undergraded in a scan or at a quick glance at arm's length, but upon close inspection (especially if the book is seen out of the slab, which was the case with the first restored AF#15 I bought a few years ago), the "hidden" defects causing the lower CGC grade were apparent.

Then there is also the fact that this book has some long, dirty edge tears on the back cover, plus some sizeable creasing still visible on the front cover. It's a great looking 5.0, but I don't think it looks much better than that from the scans.

I was going to make a similar comment. It only takes one tear, to lower the grade considerably. I have at least one book, with a 1/2 inch tear, that can't be seen from the scan. Otherwise, it's a nice looking book.

I will add, that I believe the Action 1 looks much nicer than a 5.0 in the scan.

Very nice looking book. A live auction, and a 22 1/2% buyers premium added to the winning bid. Heritage should do alright on this book. The cover is extremely clean, and white to off-white pages.

Too clean, my FF edition one looks more real.

After seeing A1K's copy in scans so many times, I would rather have any blue label than a purple, no matter how high it's graded. shy.gif

hello all...

Tis true, the book is scorching...Filter81 and I are looking for a nice copy (restored or not), so if anyone knows of a nice 3.0, give me a call smile.gif

rick

ps-GO GATORS

I will add, that I believe the Action 1 looks much nicer than a 5.0 in the scan.

Some books are made for the holder, some are not. A 5.0 can look like an 8.0 in the holder if it has a clean 3" spine split not visible in a scan!

West

Some books are made for the holder, some are not. A 5.0 can look like an 8.0 in the holder if it has a clean 3" spine split not visible in a scan!

West

Agreed! thumbsup2.gif