• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Hypothetical

37 posts in this topic

This post is inspired from an article I read about a US family who had the only 2 copies of an obviously rare movie one sheet. For those who don't know......they sold one copy as a one of a kind and destroyed the other one to ensure that it was.

Assume (after many years) that you have snared all 5 known copies of a gerber 10 GA book. The following are the facts:

Only one copy grades at HG of 9.4

The 9.4 price in OS is 5000

The total lay out cost to purchase the 5 books is 9000.

The book is not a key but is an early Cole cover

Now for the questions. If you destroyed the 4 lower grade copies what would the 9.4 be worth?

All moral and greed responses are welcome.

Would you do it?

Well, I wouldn't destroy the other ones. I just can't see doing that for any reason. I might withdraw them from the market at this time and leave it up to m heirs to figure out how to sell them. But I wouldn't destroy them.

For one thing, there's no way to ensure that another one of these things won't show up in some grandma's attic or basement or with butter smeared on it. It's not like they are one of a kind. Suppose some old buddy of Cole had a mound of them packed away in his attic and his grandkids find them. Then you're stuck with only one copy of the issue.

This post is inspired from an article I read about a US family who had the only 2 copies of an obviously rare movie one sheet. For those who don't know......they sold one copy as a one of a kind and destroyed the other one to ensure that it was.

Assume (after many years) that you have snared all 5 known copies of a gerber 10 GA book. The following are the facts:

Only one copy grades at HG of 9.4

The 9.4 price in OS is 5000

The total lay out cost to purchase the 5 books is 9000.

The book is not a key but is an early Cole cover

Now for the questions. If you destroyed the 4 lower grade copies what would the 9.4 be worth?

All moral and greed responses are welcome.

Would you do it?

You'd have to tell the world you destroyed the other 4 in order for it to be one of a kind.

The world would look at you like a nut! and a greedy [!@#%^&^]!

I don't like the idea of destroying comics books frown.gif... Hitler was burning books not so long time ago... mad.gif

Geez Osborn let's keep this a little light hearted. Anyway Hitler didn't burn books so that he could make money out of it.

i wouldn't disclose i have 4 higher grade copies blush.gif893applaud-thumb.gifacclaim.gifgossip.gif

Ah....but as Ares has said, you would have to prove the other 4 were destroyed.

The people with the movie poster provided a legal document to provve it was destroyed.

This hypothetical questions brings to mind the "upside down plane" stamp..(I don't know the correct term for it)...as far as I know there was only one existing block of stamps that were seperated and then dispersed individually...each stamp has extreme value as it's own entity...

I believe these comics in question could be catagorized the same way...if I owned all five copies I would then get them graded and labeled something like "From the Araich collection" and then disperse four of the five copies to whomever was willing to pay my exhorbitant price that I would demand...then i would sit back and let time determine the value and and historical importance of the books...I would in essance be creating...a legend.... acclaim.gif

I don't like the idea of destroying comics books frown.gif... Hitler was burning books not so long time ago... mad.gif

Geez Osborn let's keep this a little light hearted. Anyway Hitler didn't burn books so that he could make money out of it.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif agree, it was a little excessive and 893offtopic1.gif sorry makepoint.gif

I do think the notion of destroying the other four copies of the comic, or the other copy of the movie poster, seems pretty crazy... I suppose if you're just going to sell the 'surviving' copy, it doesn't matter that much, since the depreciation that would result from the discovery of one or more additional 'surviving copies' wouldn't impact YOUR sales price...

But still, you're taking it upon yourself to destroy something you didn't create, for monetary gain...

I think this plan might appeal to the likes of Dr. Evil, as long as the final price was at least...(wait for it)....one *million* dollars! muhahahahahahaha goodevil.gif

Personally, I'm not convinced that it's even financially worth it to destroy the other copies.

Let's take Action 1. What do you think the value of all the Action 1's on the planet is? Maybe $25m?

If there was only one copy, would it sell for $25m? I'm not convinced that it would. Perhaps; perhaps not, but it's not a sure fire scheme.

How about twisting the situation around. you own one of say ten copies of a book. By consistently submitting the book to CGC you pump up the census so the book is no longer rare. You then buy all the other available copies at big discount and send in the labels so they are removed from census.You now own several copies of a super rare book that you obtained at a great price. Nothing is destroyed except a dozen or so slabs.BTW there is an old detective story using the plot you mentioned,only with stamps. I think Columbo(with Peter Falk) adapted it for TV in the early 70s.

im sure you can request not to have CGC include your book in the census. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I certainly hope that is not the case. Are you saying that CGC would honor a request not to list a book they graded in the census. That would pretty much invalidate any useful information you would try to gather from it. In my scenerio I would want the books listed as they would indicate,falsely, that the book was much more common than thought.