• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adventure funnies

33 posts in this topic

As a comparison, here's the real deal:

SupermanComics9.jpg

That's not yours, right? sumo.gif

If you only knew how much I'd love to say yes. But, no. It's from an old Heritage auction. I'm trying to put together an album with a pic/scan of every known ashcan title. So far I have 51 I think. Yes Mark, I swiped some from your site. 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

I thought so but usually they had watermarks. confused-smiley-013.gif

Fair use swiping for academic purposes is totally appropriate! thumbsup2.gif

I remember seeing that thread before. He didn't do his homework though - ashcans were used to trademark the title and the logo. His lettering is off. That's an easy fake to spot. As Mark said earlier, we pretty much know all the DC copies that there are. I believe Moondog has actually been to DC & seen what they have in their vault. If they don't know about it, there's no way some guy's gonna "magically" produce a previously unknown one. A nice attempt though. I'll give him a VG 4.0 for the effort. 27_laughing.gif

Raven IS Ashcan/Comics. He changed it a year or so back.

The Batman was an early attempt to see if we would bite on it being real. And he actually had me going for awhile. It's actually a pretty good facsimilie of an ashcan. The Adventure Funnies, Green Lantern and Superman are dead on - at least what we can see here.

Ashcan/Comics/Raven, where did you get the old velox paper? And I must thank you for posting these here and indicating that they're fakes.

--Gary

gary if you held it in your hand you would feel and smell how real the actually seem.

ashcan/comics

purchased the velox paper from old book store which also has old photography paper as well. 1579078-ashcansuperman1.jpg

Gary it is vintage everything about it is from 1939 it feels,smells, looks i just do not know what else to say, you would have to see it to believe it, even if paper was tested for age it would come back that it is from the 1930's.

Perfect book for me the ultimate superman fan!

Let's have as many opinions as possible, be critical on what is good about it and what is lacking.

Raven/Ashcan/Comics: What are your trying to accomplish? Obviously you're a very clever fellow who has created some amazing fakes. I understand that they are for your own amusement, but why do you continually ask for comments? I think it's actually a bit creepy that you continue to ask for opinions - when it's clear that most of us here think that what you can do is interesting, but also potentially dangerous.

This is not the same as using Photoshop to create some patchwork comic book that we can all laugh at. It's more like a counterfeiter delighting in the fact that he's been able to fool people into thinking his bogus cash is legitimate.

I still contend that Justin, Mark and many others (besides myself) would be able to identify them as fakes. If you believe differently, just send them to me and I will honestly comment.

--Gary

Let's have as many opinions as possible, be critical on what is good about it and what is lacking.

Raven/Ashcan/Comics: What are your trying to accomplish? Obviously you're a very clever fellow who has created some amazing fakes. I understand that they are for your own amusement, but why do you continually ask for comments? I think it's actually a bit creepy that you continue to ask for opinions - when it's clear that most of us here think that what you can do is interesting, but also potentially dangerous.

This is not the same as using Photoshop to create some patchwork comic book that we can all laugh at. It's more like a counterfeiter delighting in the fact that he's been able to fool people into thinking his bogus cash is legitimate.

I still contend that Justin, Mark and many others (besides myself) would be able to identify them as fakes. If you believe differently, just send them to me and I will honestly comment.

--Gary

Just wait until he posts scans of some repro. 100 dollar notes and ask for comments... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think he's just having fun on the boards like a lot of other people. A guy with this skill could have kept his mouth shut and probably fooled many so called experts. We'll never know now because he's an honest person having a little fun.I didn't notice anything creepy about his postings.

I agree with Gary that it's a bit discomforting knowing that these are being physically produced. I'll also agree with Black Hand that since he's posting them here, I'm content that he's doing these mock-ups for fun & apparently to keep for himself. On that point, Ashcan/Comics, I think you're very creative & they're very cool looking!

As Mark said earlier, there seems to be a limited group of collectors that are willing to lay down some good cash for these pieces of comic history (I don't know of anyone on these boards besides Moondog, Esquire, TomG & myself that own any). Knowing that there's good quality fakes out there makes you think twice about buying one. But again, I'm glad that we know where many (maybe even most) are located.

I agree with Gary that it's a bit discomforting knowing that these are being physically produced. I'll also agree with Black Hand that since he's posting them here, I'm content that he's doing these mock-ups for fun & apparently to keep for himself. On that point, Ashcan/Comics, I think you're very creative & they're very cool looking!

As Mark said earlier, there seems to be a limited group of collectors that are willing to lay down some good cash for these pieces of comic history (I don't know of anyone on these boards besides Moondog, Esquire, TomG & myself that own any). Knowing that there's good quality fakes out there makes you think twice about buying one. But again, I'm glad that we know where many (maybe even most) are located.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

guys relax like i said before i collect mostly early actions and pre robin detectives but i am a huge superman fan and there is two books that i will never own ashcan superman nn# and a complete action 1 so these are the next best thing and the adventure funnies i just thought would be neat esspecially i next to action 7 superman 3 is my favourite, anyways the superman 3 always looked like it was drawn early than 1940's which it was it was a panel in action comics #8 as info.

ashcan/comics