• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on the best comic story arcs of all time

44 posts in this topic

The Marvel Two-In-On and Avengers King Size annual crossover. Starlin ROCKED on that. Moore's run on Swampthing.

I believe I mentioned the Avengers Ann #7 & MTIO Ann#2 on the initial post, but I agree (see my sig) LOVE THAT ARC "Why for Death of course...." YESSSSS!!!! Great quote by Thanos

Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing is awesome (+pricey) Great reads in the supermarket back in the day

It's more of a run than a story arc but I think that FF# 35 to about # 67 was possibly the best run of a comic ever. Also the early Claremont X Men when they went round the Savage Land, Japan & Canada (I forget the actual issue numbers). As far as moderns go, Captain America "The Winter Soldier" hands down. Brubaker rocks. headbang.gif

The Marvel Two-In-On and Avengers King Size annual crossover. Starlin ROCKED on that. Moore's run on Swampthing.

I believe I mentioned the Avengers Ann #7 & MTIO Ann#2 on the initial post, but I agree (see my sig) LOVE THAT ARC "Why for Death of course...." YESSSSS!!!! Great quote by Thanos

Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing is awesome (+pricey) Great reads in the supermarket back in the day

You did foreheadslap.gifsorry.gif

Also...The Animal Farm arc of Fables

It's more of a run than a story arc but I think that FF# 35 to about # 67 was possibly the best run of a comic ever. Also the early Claremont X Men when they went round the Savage Land, Japan & Canada (I forget the actual issue numbers)

UXM 114-121

It's more of a run than a story arc but I think that FF# 35 to about # 67 was possibly the best run of a comic ever. Also the early Claremont X Men when they went round the Savage Land, Japan & Canada (I forget the actual issue numbers)

UXM 114-121

That's the one. Thanks thumbsup2.gif

Back in the days when Alpha Flight was a good idea.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any Valiant titles listed here.

Allow me to nominate Solar: Man of the Atom #1-10, Magnus: Robot Fighter #1-8, Harbinger #1-4, and X-O Manowar #1-6. cloud9.gif

X-Men: The Proteus storyline in the late 120's to the "Days Of Future Past" storyline. (What the heck, the Arcade storyline was great also. )

Kingdom Come

The Wrightson Swamp Things.

For more obscure:

How about the "Darkness Saga" in Legion Of Superheroes back in the early 80's? Or the JLA/JSA/New Gods arc in Justice League? Camelot 3000?

Allow me to nominate Solar: Man of the Atom #1-10, Magnus: Robot Fighter #1-8, Harbinger #1-4, and X-O Manowar #1-6. cloud9.gif

I would agree, and also add in the pre-Unity Eternal Warrior run (EW never gets any respect! Christo_pull_hair.gif)

I would also add Captain America 153-156 (the 1950s Cap saga) by Steve Englehart (who doesn't get nearly enough respect), and then some of the usual suspects:

Alan Moore's Swampthing run (particularly the first 20 or so issues)

Neil Gaiman's Sandman run (particularly the "A Doll's House" story)

Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man

Garth Ennis' first 15 issues on Hellblazer

X-Men 94-143

Roy Thomas' run on Sgt. Fury

That's by far my favorite storyline of all time!

Others include:

Avengers 164-166 The Nefaria Saga

Avengers 167-177 The Korvak Saga

Avengers 272-277 The Masters Of Evil storyline

Daredevil 1-8 Kevin Smith's run

X-Men 129-137 Dark Phoenix Saga

The Infinity Gauntlet 1-6

Spider-Man 30-35 The Morlun Saga

FF 258-260 Silver Surfer, Dr Doom & Terrax by Byrne!

Peter David's Pantheon Storyline in The Incredible Hulk may not be an "arc" per se but it totally rocked.

Actually Thor #337-#354 is the complete Surtur saga and #370-#382 is an equally brilliant arc. Might as well pick up the issues in between because Simonson was the best at weaving story lines from stuff he wrote about 20 issues prior. You'd be hard pressed to find better stuff to read. Considering the long list of Marvel's aces that have handled this series over the last 40 years Simonson's stint is widely considered to be the definitive Thor. cloud9.gif

I totally agree. I would love to see Marvel give this run the Omnibus treatment.

Same thing with the JR jr / Bob Layton run on Iron Man cloud9.gif

Other runs that I like a lot :

- Byrne's run on Captain America and the earlier part of his FF run

- Miller's Born Again run in Daredevil and Batman year one.

- The first issues of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run.

Someone else listed the Iron Man #123-128 stories as a great Tony Stark alcoholism arc. I agree, but would add the arc at the end of the Tony Stark battling alcoholism storyline: Iron Man #168-182.

I agree completely, some of the best story arcs ever. I also love the Kraven's Last Hunt arc. For some reason I always thought that Kraven was one of the best villians in Spider-Man.

Amazing Spider-Man #238-251 -- the first Hobgoblin storyline. Romita Jr. and Roger Stern at their very best..

Don't forget the issues #228-#229 (Juggernaut classic) and the #231-#232 vs Hyde was just awesome. Stern was the man.

Juggernaut thumbsup2.gif

scan0056.jpg

There is no pre-Unity EW run. EW#1 was a chapter in Unity. But I agree with you -- EW was great until a few months after Shooter left.

I would agree, and also add in the pre-Unity Eternal Warrior run (EW never gets any respect! Christo_pull_hair.gif)

I would also add Captain America 153-156 (the 1950s Cap saga) by Steve Englehart (who doesn't get nearly enough respect), and then some of the usual suspects:

Alan Moore's Swampthing run (particularly the first 20 or so issues)

Neil Gaiman's Sandman run (particularly the "A Doll's House" story)

Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man

Garth Ennis' first 15 issues on Hellblazer

X-Men 94-143

Roy Thomas' run on Sgt. Fury