• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Prices for Billiken Models?

19 posts in this topic

sign-offtopic.gif

This may be way off topic....but. I have some billken model kits a friend of mine wants to sell. I am going to list them on ebay for him. I have no idea what these are worth at all. I dont wanna list them for super cheap if he has something good and someone else buys them and flips them for a mint. I did an ebay search for them and most of the ones he had were not there. I thougt comic fans out there might be able to help me. he has...

frankenstein

war of the colossal beast

predator...(which i did see sell on ebay)

the she creature

the saucer man

all unpainted and still in the boxes.

Are there price guides out there for these? Please help me out here! Pm me or post on here. Thanks!

Frank

What kind of time frame are we talking here?

I can ask around, but it may take a few days to get back with an answer.

(I am pretty active in an online modeling community. Those guys will know what fair prices are, but it will probably take a couple days to get enough input to get a good idea.)

Billiken's are generally hard to find and expensive. There are some books out there that give ya a idea of prices. "The Garage Kit That Ate My Wallet" by Terry Webb is a good one for price info. Also model magazine MODELER RESOURSE can give you an idea. There is the Polor Lights models board that has a chat room full of people in the know about Billiken models. You shouldn't have a problem finding someone that wants your Billiken's. The problem will be finding someone that will pay the high price they are worth. Good luck!

This thread made me think about an old garage figure kit I've had sitting in the closet forever...

"The Man From Planet X". While I've built my share of resin figure kits, this one is off the charts intimidating. crazy.gif "75 kits produced", lots of detailed parts including making it lighted and vacuformed clear helmet halves. About a foot tall.

I still think it should be builtup by some master-level builder. Maybe someone who could photograph the whole process and get a Hobby magazine article out of it too.

ManPlanetX.jpg

The Colossal Beast and She-Creature kits were at least a couple of hundred each as of two years ago, haven't paid much attention since then (so I don't know if they've been knocked off more which could affect the price).

Found a few digging around, great stuff!

Godzilla 1954 $99

Predator Tin Wind up $200

Godzilla 1962 $75

Predator 12'' $70

Ultraman $50

Found a checklist ( I think it is just for the Monster kits though)

Billiken Frankenstein Model Kit

Billiken Dracula figure kit

Billiken War Of the Colossal Beast Model Kit

Billiken Saucerman Invasion Of The Saucermen

Billiken Gorilla 1 King Kong figure kit

Billiken ToHo Kong 1987 Kaiju Model Kits

Billiken Mecha Kong 1987 Kaiju Model Kits

Billiken Godzilla 1954 Gojira Kaiju Model Kits Goji 1954

Billiken Godzilla 1962 Gojira Kaiju Model Kits Goji 1962

Billiken Godzilla 1965 Gojira Kaiju Model Kits Goji 1965

Billiken Godzilla 1975 Gojira Kaiju Model Kits Goji 1975

Billiken MechaGodzilla 1975 Gojira Kaiju Model Kits Goji 1975

Billiken Godzilla 1992 Gojira Kaiju Model Kits Goji 1992

Billiken Cyclops Model Kit

Billiken Mummy figure kit

Billiken The Mole People Model Kit

Billiken Phantom Of The Opera figure kit

Billiken Creature From The Black Lagoon figure

Billiken The Thing figure kit

Billiken Ymir (Ray Harryhausen)

Billiken Rhedosaurus The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (Ray Harryhausen)

Billiken Metaluna Mutant figure kit

Billiken It Conquered The World

Billiken Laser Blast Alien figure kit

Billiken Predator model figure

Billiken Syngenor figure kit

Billiken Batman A Type

Billiken She Creature

Dug out my 2004 toys price guide

prices are EX,NM,MIP

Batman A 35,90,110

Batman B 35,95,140

Bride of Frankenstein 75,105,250

Colossal Beast 20,32,44

Creature From the Black Lagoon 70,100,160

Cyclops 75,105,220

Dracula 60,105,165

Frankenstein 60,125,180

Joker 40,95,165

Mummy 60,125,180

Phantom of the Opera 100,210,305

Predator 25,53,75

Saucer Man 20,32,44

She-Creature 25,42,55

Syngenor 100,160,275

The Thing 150,210,330

Ultraman 25,35,50

"Dug out my 2004 toys price guide"

......this guide lists the billiken models? thats the name of it. if thats the case i can get to a book store today and find a 2006 edition. thanks for everyones help so far. hail.gif

i figured some comic fans would know this info. also thanks for the info about the model message board. i found one last night (theclubhouse?)...i registered but i need to use a password to get on for the first time and i am still waiting for it. frown.gif

The problem with price guides on models is the same as price guides on comics.

They don't mean a whole lot.

Some kits are worth a lot less than listed in the guide as they seem to be plentiful on ebay, or there is just no demand for them.

Others are worth multiples of guide as there is strong demand and lack of availability.

Another thing that will affect the value is how the auctions are presented.

Make sure you have plenty of pics. Make sure the packaging.is visible in at least one pic.

Lots of recasts our there, and there are plenty of buyers that will steer well clear if they even think it might be a recast.

Also make sure they can see all the parts are there.

I have asked on the modeling board I help moderate.

Will post back with some of the responces I get.

thats why i wanted peoples feedbacks to the value before i listed them. i hate not knowing what i have. thanks alot for your help!!! i will wait to hear back from you before i do anything.

The problem with price guides on models is the same as price guides on comics.

They don't mean a whole lot.

Some kits are worth a lot less than listed in the guide as they seem to be plentiful on ebay, or there is just no demand for them.

Others are worth multiples of guide as there is strong demand and lack of availability.

Another thing that will affect the value is how the auctions are presented.

Make sure you have plenty of pics. Make sure the packaging.is visible in at least one pic.

Lots of recasts our there, and there are plenty of buyers that will steer well clear if they even think it might be a recast.

Also make sure they can see all the parts are there.

I have asked on the modeling board I help moderate.

Will post back with some of the responces I get.

The Clubhouse is where I am asking about them right now.

So far the consensus seems to be

Frankenstein - $175-200.

Predator - common and highly recast - $50-80...

Saucerman - < $60

Collosal Beast < $60

She Creature $100-120

Will update if I get some more replies to the thread or PMs.

thank you so much for this info! i also have a bride of frankenstein polar lights...creature from the black lagoon horizon...thanks i was inclear on the starting prices that i should list. should i try and sell them on the clubhouse board direct? again thanks for your help! you rule! hail.gif

The Clubhouse is where I am asking about them right now.

So far the consensus seems to be

Frankenstein - $175-200.

Predator - common and highly recast - $50-80...

Saucerman - < $60

Collosal Beast < $60

She Creature $100-120

Will update if I get some more replies to the thread or PMs.

You won't be able to sell on the clubhouse.

You have to be a member for a certain amount of time and have a certain post count in order to be able to offer things for sale.

(really cuts down on the scamers and the fly-by-night vendors)

Ebay would be your best bet.

If it were me, I would wait a couple weeks. People should be starting to get their tax returns, or at least know what they will be getting back. Tends to lead to a little higher prieces when people have extra cash burning a hole in their pockets laugh.gif

And just like with comics, a good picture is worth a thousand words.

The PL bride (sealed) will get you anywhere between $20-50 depending on who is bidding.

The $50 is really out of line, but I have seen plenty of auctions go that high. It's amazing what noobs will pay sometimes.

There are 2 versions. If yours is still sealed you can tell by looking at the box.

http://www.phrankenstign.com/htms/5005.htm

http://www.phrankenstign.com/htms/5005P.htm

The second link is the first run in glow plastic. You can tell by looking at the pics of the side of the box. It has the 800 number in big bold letters and talks about the newsletter.

It's a toss up which is worth more. Collectors like the glow plastic, builders like the regular plastic, as normal styrene glue doesn't work on the glow plastic. Just something you should note in your auction to cut down on questions.

Don't know anything about the Horizon kit. I'm mostly a styrene guy who dabbles in resin and vynil when it is a subject that gets my interest.

I'll ask though.

once again thank you for all your help! tay66 for president!!! hehehheh the polar lights stuff...has the plastic wrap removed. does that kill the price. also the billiken kit...some have wrinkled corners. something i should note? great idea for the tax refund time!!!! you rule! sorry for all these question...but i am a comic guy. these models he gave me are a mystery to me. once again thanks!

frank