• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My trip to Doug's (aka ... the most amazing books I've ever seen in person)

82 posts in this topic

Reynolds stored his collection very very well. Each book was graded on the back of each backing board. It's been a long time but I seem to remember him having other notes as well, might have been the price he paid for the book.

This collection spanned early silver through the bronze age. Vinny and I went to Vinny Gulla's house to see this collection. It was needless to say a great deal!

A few things- 1st off more pics of Tammy-less of Doug's overgraded collection ( I keeeeed about the comics being over graded-nice books sport).

Reynolds collection- This guy was meticulous- he would travel an hour to a show and go through boxes and boxes of dealer stock and sometimes only walked away with one or two books. He would write how much he paid, the day he bought it and the grade on the back of each book. I remember Bob and I visiting Vince Gulla (one of my partner's on the Show Must Go On Show- which became Big Apple) and meeting with Reynold. I looked over these books for hours with Bob. We knew we had to get these books. Eventually I negotiated a deal, we were both happy. Vince Gulla got the BA and MA books. Bob bought a bunch of stuff for his collection and then we retailed everything. Thanks for all the help Bob- you were awesome on that deal. This collection helped get my name out as being a guy with high grade SA. I think I still have a few books in my personals.

* Special note- Doug is awesome in basketball and stickball- but I'll whup him in badminton every day of the week

One of the things I've always appreciated about Doug is his willingness to show off his books to the people (like me and many others) who will never have the opportunity to own or perhaps even see books like that.

Contrast that with some other collectors who choose never to show off the books that are the hobby's finest treasures. Granted, it's their right not to show off their books, but I always appreciate it when people who have great books are willing to show them to others.

One of the things I've always appreciated about Doug is his willingness to show off his books to the people (like me and many others) who will never have the opportunity to own or perhaps even see books like that.

Contrast that with some other collectors who choose never to show off the books that are the hobby's finest treasures. Granted, it's their right not to show off their books, but I always appreciate it when people who have great books are willing to show them to others.

well said, but to add to that... sharing stories with Doug is a blast that makes seeing the books that much more of an experience!! thumbsup2.gif

Well you hear so many horror stories.

About someone stealing this and that.

Sometimes it is better not to - unless you can "really" trust someone.

Usually the people that rob you know what you have.

With that in mind that, the more people know that more

chances you have of being taken.

tongue.gif

Vince,

I remember driving to your place in East Rockaway to pick up my first batch of Reynold's books. That was on my drive back from Connecticutt when I had first seen the FF 1 at Dan's store and my mind was reeling. It was Dec 7, 1995 (I actually still have the invoice from you that day). I wound up getting that FF 1 a week or so later but i'll never forget that day of driving. Couldn't get that FF 1 out of my head and worrying about whether Tom was going to take it or not since Dan promised him 1st dibs. His loss was my gain, natch.

It was a few months later that I picked up all the rest of the BA and Modern stuff from Vinny Gulla. He brought in pizza and we looked over those books for hours. I think I traded him a Hulk 1 for all those books. It's amazing that it's 11 years ago!!

Your badmitton game has nothing on me, buddy. I challenge you to a game. Winner gets that new AF 15 9.4 you guys slabbed!!

Doug

Nerf,

I haven't smoked in almost 14 years. Those eyes were red due to complete tiredness (driving 3 hours back from CGC after congesting much wine the nite before and getting little sleep). The beard is a separate matter, though. Just lazy, I guess.

I probably had a collection of US bongs to match my ST run!! Those days are long gone.

Scott,

Having the books sitting in boxes is no fun. I love sharing the lore and history of the books and the stories behind aquiring them. It is so much fun to share these kinds of stories, etc. That's what makes collecting so much fun. I got such a joy seeing Paul really appreciate and semi-drool over the Strange Tales as he LOVES the run. I got a kick knowing how much fun he was having seeing high grade copies of his favorite title.

I'm contemplating writing an article about the different trades/purchases/post office meetings with Brulato/visits to Metropolis/dinners with Marnin Rosenberg, etc., etc that led to my collection. I just don't have the requisite time right now bit i'm going to do it as it has to be told.

Scott,

Having the books sitting in boxes is no fun. I love sharing the lore and history of the books and the stories behind aquiring them. It is so much fun to share these kinds of stories, etc. That's what makes collecting so much fun. I got such a joy seeing Paul really appreciate and semi-drool over the Strange Tales as he LOVES the run. I got a kick knowing how much fun he was having seeing high grade copies of his favorite title.

I'm contemplating writing an article about the different trades/purchases/post office meetings with Brulato/visits to Metropolis/dinners with Marnin Rosenberg, etc., etc that led to my collection. I just don't have the requisite time right now bit i'm going to do it as it has to be told.

Instead of that Doug... how about coming to the WW Philly dinner... I am trying to organize with a theme in mind that you would be a big part of... I'll email you soon about it.

Scott,

Instead of that Doug... how about coming to the WW Philly dinner... I am trying to organize with a theme in mind that you would be a big part of... I'll email you soon about it.

Er, how about "In addition to that," rather than "Instead of that," for those who won't be at WW Philly this year? poke2.gif