• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My trip to Doug's (aka ... the most amazing books I've ever seen in person)

82 posts in this topic

Last Friday my wife, Tammy, and I arrived in Florida to begin a 7 day cruise but made plans to meet Doug and his wife prior to leaving the next morning to the Caribbean. Unfortunately, I got lost trying to get to find Doug's place, which limited our time, but I have to say for the time we spent all chatting and getting to know each other it felt like the whole evening. Doug was so gracious and his family is incredible. His son is a chip off the ol' block and is certainly proud of his comics just like his dad. thumbsup2.gif Doug and I shared some stories of collecting and what got us started into collecting. It was so nice to sit down with someone that is so passionate about collecting!!! I had an incredible time with Doug and just wish we had more time!! Here's a few pictures of the visit and next time Doug, the visit will include dinner and drinks and a lot more stories. I included a couple of pictures at the end of my wife Tammy looking unimpressed and humouring me...funny how both Tammy and Doug's wife, Lisa, could care less about these things while we're so passionate about them buddy confused-smiley-013.gif

Doug and I holding the beautiful 9.6 Fantastic Four #1 !!!

FF1shot2.jpg

Doug and I holding a couple of his ST babies !!!

PaulDougwithSTs.jpg

Awesome group shot !!

Groupshot2.jpg

The rest of the group shot!!

Groupshot1.jpg

Holding the best ST #101 I've ever seen!!

ST101inhand.jpg

A couple of my favourites... my wife Tammy pretending to actually read a comic (which bores her to tears, and then a shot of her true feelings about comics...yet holding the finest ST's around... she should be so lucky 27_laughing.gif

TammyReading.jpg

TammyImpressed.jpg

I'm going to be ill.

This board never fails to cement the fact that I'm a very small fish in a very large pond.

Don't worry... 99% of us are.

Nice pics D&S. thumbsup2.gif How'd you convince the wife to agree to a "comic summit" in the first place?

I'm going to be ill.

This board never fails to cement the fact that I'm a very small fish in a very large pond.

A lot of us think that! I don't have a huge collection, but I've got a few books that I'm proud of.....until I see some of the beauties on here.

Buck,

I don't even own toe nails any longer. How do you think I was able to trade for these Strange Tales?!!

All kidding aside, it was great meeting Paul and his wife. He's a great guy and the most passionate and the biggest Strange Tales fan in the world. When it's time for my son's Bar-Mitvah and the Strange Tales need to be expunged, he's definitely getting the first call!!

yep... I think it's in the pic of Doug and I holding the 2 ST books actually. I saw all of the ST's from #101 to #134 or so. All neatly placed into 1 CGC short box. The most incredible box of books I've ever had next to me. Oops.. my bad... I didn't post the pic of Doug holding the #101 and myself holding the #110 as we sat next to each other. foreheadslap.gif