• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlas Horror thread.....

142 posts in this topic

Another cover that I like very much.

1402125-AdventuresIntoTerror%2322.jpg

AtlasT: Is this Burgos?

I'm 99% certain this is not Burgos, but I cannot attribute it with any certainty. Norman Steinberg???

I can see that as Steinberg -- but I'm no Steinberg expert.

On most Atlas covers with a triptych on the left of the cover, the 3 panels are by the same artist who did the cover illustration. The skull at the top of the triptych could never be an Everett skull, nor could the girl in the bottom panel be an Everett girl. I will grant you the the main cover image is probably too good to be Brodsky; how about Sam Kweskin?

Ooops. Just reading this. I do agree with your concerns about the triptych art -- I've heard the same as you that the cover artist did it as well without having any info other than the titles of the stories. I'll take another look at Kweskin but the pose/art is really strong and just not something I can see Kweskin doing -- though he did occasionally turn in quite a good story.

Good point! Here's a Joe Maneely cover:

aiww3.jpg

One of my all-around favorite Atlas issues! cloud9.gif

Good point! Here's a Joe Maneely cover:

aiww3.jpg

One of my all-around favorite Atlas issues! cloud9.gif

Maneely absolutely rocks! I often wonder if he had passed away when he did, how different the silver age of Marvel comics might have been. Maneely Hulk? Spider-Man? Who knows? Wasn't he supposed to have been very fast? His imprint would have been all over the Marvel age.

one of two copies I own. AtlasT knows how cool this books is.

AdvWW10.jpg

I think I like the interior story better than the cover. wink.gif

Wolverton didn't do many horror stories but they're all good and a few, like the one in JIW 15, rise to the genius level.

AdvWeirdWorld27.jpg