• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clip Those Coupons! Er.. But then how is it graded?

12 posts in this topic

I asksed this very question a few months back. The answer came back as 2.5 would be the highest technical unqualified grade it could recieve.

seriously? for coupons from inside the book that doens't effect the story? frown.gif

I used to just call any book missing a coupon as incomplete poor....

but when I get into GA books, I realize I'd rather have it than care and no one is going to sell me a Sweet otherwise Fine book with a small coupon cut fort the poor price.

I'd be hard pressed to pay a price over the Good value though....unless it was a very beautiful book otherwise. Not a huge upside resale potential on incomplete books unless you know how to restore/replace pieces.

Was the 9.0 GA a green/qualified label maybe?

Also for reference, there was a Superman #4 on ebay a month ago that looked 5.0-6.0, but had a 2" x 1.5" (guessing on the size) coupon torn out of the back cover. CGC'd as a 1.5 (Fair/Good) blue label.

Also for reference, there was a Superman #4 on ebay a month ago that looked 5.0-6.0, but had a 2" x 1.5" (guessing on the size) coupon torn out of the back cover. CGC'd as a 1.5 (Fair/Good) blue label.

My understanding is that you can move up to Good if the coupon isn't on the cover. However, I'm not sure how much futher up you can go or if Good is the stopgap. It sounds like it is. Which I find kind of odd, in a way, because I think there's a difference between a coupon clipping that effects story/art and one that doesn't.

In the end, it's all about personal taste I guess. But I wish I had a solid idea of how CGC treated it. Is that a thing they'd answer if I called and asked or is it some sort of secret grading criteria?

My understanding is that you can move up to Good if the coupon isn't on the cover. However, I'm not sure how much futher up you can go or if Good is the stopgap. It sounds like it is. Which I find kind of odd, in a way, because I think there's a difference between a coupon clipping that effects story/art and one that doesn't.

Hmmm...I know it's subjective, but a clipped coupon is still a piece of a page (even a non-story page) that's missing. If I bought a 4.0 or higher and found that defect, I'd be pretty unhappy. I can see the logic in calling the book 2.0/2.5 tops.

You are correct my bad.