• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Universe: The New Mutants

14 posts in this topic

Hi, hi.gif

Long time ago i bought a run of the new mutants 1-50 after not having read them since the early 90'ies. I didnt expect much of them, as i reckoned i only liked them due to my age at the time i bought them the first time. tongue.gif

But instead i found them very entertaining, well written by claremont with catching arcs' and after a rocky start art wise, they really really took off with the Sienkiewicz run on 18-31! What amazing art 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif :applause

I love Sienkiewicz and the covers of that run he did on New Mutants is imo breathtaking cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif His style is special, i guess either you love it or hate it, i definetely love it! I think the title is underappreciated, reading wise and art wise, and i havent seen any threads about them, so i thougt i should start one grin.gif

I will kick it off with my favorite covers that i have of the first 50 issues , pls chip in with your books if you have them thumbsup2.gif and any thoughts on the title.

Mutant18.jpg

Mutant19.jpg

Mutant21.jpg

mutant23.jpg

Great idea for a thread, Mad Dog!

Back in the day, I started reading New Mutants with issue #23 (you posted the cover above), and definitely got the sense that "something was happening here" with the art. Tracked down all of the previous issues as well, and continued to read the title for a year or two. As I recall the stories were occasionally a bit spotty, but the art was just fantastic...Bill S was clearly taking chances with the art and it really paid off.

probably my favorite Sienkiewicz cover in the run smile.gif

mutant30.jpg

afterwards, rick leonardi stepped in with Sienkiewicz as inker, and still Bill's touch was the dominant part of the art. Not sure who made this cover, but i belive it was rick.

mutant38-1.jpg

Jacksom guice stepped in, not a remarkable penciler imo, but here with a pretty cool cap cover.

mutant40-1.jpg

and here with a decent sentinel shot

mutant48.jpg

Rick Leonardi and Dan green made this pretty Sienkiewicz inspired Magik (aka colussus' little sister) cover to no 50. Interior art still by Guice

mutant50.jpg

Great idea for a thread, Mad Dog!

Back in the day, I started reading New Mutants with issue #23 (you posted the cover above), and definitely got the sense that "something was happening here" with the art. Tracked down all of the previous issues as well, and continued to read the title for a year or two. As I recall the stories were occasionally a bit spotty, but the art was just fantastic...Bill S was clearly taking chances with the art and it really paid off.

Yearh Cloak & Dagger was the perfect characters for Bill's more "dark" art, the storyline was thoug, imo, not remarkable.

mutant40-1.jpg

Pretty cover...especially when you figure out that it's Barry W. Smith not Jackson Guice. Which doesn't take away from a decent thread, just wanted to point it out. BWS also did #48 too.

Ooops thanks for pointing that out blush.gif

I need to do find some new sources of information crazy.gif

afterwards, rick leonardi stepped in with Sienkiewicz as inker, and still Bill's touch was the dominant part of the art. Not sure who made this cover, but i belive it was rick.

mutant38-1.jpg

Actually this is Art Adams. Rick actually did the cover (Seinkiewcz inked it) but they never used it. I saw it back in 87 when Rick attended a Con. Of course he said he liked his version better....

Actually this is Art Adams. Rick actually did the cover (Seinkiewcz inked it) but they never used it. I saw it back in 87 when Rick attended a Con. Of course he said he liked his version better....

Art Adams did the cover to #38, how about that! It's kind of obvious now when I look at the faces, but I never knew who drew it. One of my favorite covers in the run. Would be quite interesting to see the alternate version.