• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If ASM #43 is a $100,000 cover, what would happen?

29 posts in this topic

if every other piece of original art was made available for public sale, what would sell for the most (silver age wise)? I'm guessing FF#1, AF#15, ASM #1, Avengers #4 and FF#12 would be at the top of the list. I'm also pretty sure ASM #33, 39, 50, FF#5 and Hulk #1 or JIM #83 wouldn't be too far behind. Would you agree?

Secondly, would one of those covers crack the $200,000+ barrier?

Jim

if every other piece of original art was made available for public sale, what would sell for the most (silver age wise)? I'm guessing FF#1, AF#1, ASM #1, Avengers #4 and FF#12 would be at the top of the list. I'm also pretty sure ASM #33, 39, 50, FF#5 and Hulk #1 or JIM #83 wouldn't be too far behind. Would you agree?

Secondly, would one of those covers crack the $200,000+ barrier?

Jim

I'm pretty sure AF #15 would do better than AF #1. poke2.gif

I think AF #15 would get the highest price of that lot, and would definitely break $200K (god, I'm channeling KK foreheadslap.gif). I think X-Men #1 would also be up in that group (now I'm REALLY channeling KK foreheadslap.gif). ASM #1 would get a high price only because it's ASM #1. As art goes, it's incredibly mediocre in my opinion.

I would take out a home equity loan to pay $200K for AF15 or FF1, just for the flipping potential.

ASM 42 and Batman 11 sold for $200K. Those two covers aren't even in the same league as AF15 and FF1.

well 200k is a lot of moolah when it comes to comic art. iam pretty sure that if all them cover.s went on sale today only af # 15 would have a slight chance to break the 200k the rest would fall in the 125k to 175k range. i mean were talking about un charted water,s here.

if all those cover.s were sold at the same time we could be talking about a million dollar auction here. iam pretty sure that would wake up a lot of investers and make this prime time news for sure.

larry ;]

I would take out a home equity loan to pay $200K for AF15 or FF1, just for the flipping potential.

ASM 42 and Batman 11 sold for $200K. Those two covers aren't even in the same league as AF15 and FF1.

Yeah, AF #15 is not just a cover, its a monumental art piece in pop art history. High grade copies of AF #15 hit around the 200K mark. I think if the AF #15 cover ever came to market it would certainly sell for far more then any copies of the book have sold for. Every major collector/dealers and more would be trying to find a way to fund its purchase. I'd see this being in the $1 million range certainly. In the world of comic collectibles it would be one of the single most valuable pieces in existence, perhaps being only behind a couple select Golden Age covers if they ever came to market.

Greg Theakston told me he saw the FF#12 cover sitting on Jim Shooter's desk one time...

I have it on very good authority that the FF #12 cover resides in a known collector's hands... at least known to me... please don't ask me to say who; I'm not going to... I'm not in the 'outing' biz.

27_laughing.gif Original art collectors are weird stooges.gif They make it seem like its top secret classification! 893whatthe.gif

Noooooo, but I may want to buy it if it becomes available so why would I share the info with the world?? Just confriming that in my opinion; it definately exists. foreheadslap.gif

Dan Forman said:

... I'm not in the 'outing' biz.

Nits need to be picked. Cockroaches need to be squished. Especially when the behaviour they have exhibited towards specific people is utterly deplorable. The fact you don't feel the same way, and in fact pretended to be the person who has been 'outed', speaks volumes to me.

well for sure if anybody offered one million cash for the af # 15 cover i bet my last paycheck that it would make it way out to the public. unless the person with it is already has millions to boot.

larry ;]

I would say anyone who could afford to collect major OA pieces in this day and age could likely afford to spend $1 million. The key is that there is only 1 piece, and nearly every major player would have to be somewhat interested. I would think the only other pieces in that category would be Action 1, Tec 27, and Tec 31.

Though apparently the art for the cover to Superman 14 exists (it's on display in a NY museum ) so among 'known' pieces, I'd guess this one would go for the most. Is there any other similarly iconic cover that is actually known to exist? Batman #11 is fantastic, but not nearly in the same ballpark as Superman 14...

I would say anyone who could afford to collect major OA pieces in this day and age could likely afford to spend $1 million. The key is that there is only 1 piece, and nearly every major player would have to be somewhat interested. I would think the only other pieces in that category would be Action 1, Tec 27, and Tec 31.

I'd add Superman #1 to the list.

Though apparently the art for the cover to Superman 14 exists (it's on display in a NY museum ) so among 'known' pieces, I'd guess this one would go for the most. Is there any other similarly iconic cover that is actually known to exist? Batman #11 is fantastic, but not nearly in the same ballpark as Superman 14...

I would take the Superman #14 cover over the Batman #11 cover in a NY second.

S

I would say anyone who could afford to collect major OA pieces in this day and age could likely afford to spend $1 million.

I think we have some people here who "collect major OA pieces in this day and age". How many of you could "likely afford to spend $1 million [on a single piece]"?? confused.gif

It's one thing to be able to afford a $10,000 piece or even a $100,000 piece...$1 million is in another category altogether.

I would say anyone who could afford to collect major OA pieces in this day and age could likely afford to spend $1 million.

I think we have some people here who "collect major OA pieces in this day and age". How many of you could "likely afford to spend $1 million [on a single piece]"?? confused.gif

It's one thing to be able to afford a $10,000 piece or even a $100,000 piece...$1 million is in another category altogether.

Tobey could pay a mil for the AF #15 cover out of his tip money after all the cash he has made just from the 3 Spidey films..... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tobey could pay a mil for the AF #15 cover out of his tip money after all the cash he has made just from the 3 Spidey films..... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, but would he give a 893censored-thumb.gif? Is he an OA collector? The poster referred to people who already collect OA...

Besides, I have always felt that the _______________ (Hollywood, Wall Street, Silicon Valley, foreign, etc.) money argument for potentially boosting collectibles prices has always been a bit of a canard. Despite all the money out there (after all, we've seen the greatest explosion of wealth creation in the history of mankind in the past 15 years), it's funny how the vast majority of the best collections out there are not owned by the people who have the most money - they're owned by die-hard hobbyists who have used what money and credit they have and worked tirelessly over a long period of time to build their collections.

I think history has shown that simply having the money and interest are not sufficient conditions to get somebody to pay top dollar for material and build the best collections. Unless Tobey was a die-hard collector before he made his tens of millions, it's unlikely that he would have any inkling to shell out a seven-figure sum for something that he doesn't have a real passion for (playing Spider-Man on the big screen has everything to do with a passion for acting, celebrity, getting women and collecting a big paycheck and nothing to do with collecting), even though he could easily afford it. It simply doesn't fit the empirical fact pattern.

Gene