• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mastro/Heritage OA Auction Results

40 posts in this topic

One of the problems in trying to establish "market value" for a one-of-a-kind piece of collectible art is that some outrageous prices may be realized by a piece coveted by a couple of people who bid it into the stratosphere. Or Let's face it, most Ditko Spidey panel pages will NOT sell for $30K. As we saw with the Mastro auction, some won't sell for $10K.

The problem occurs when the uneducated buyer applies mass collectibles sales logic to unique collectible piece sales. If somebody thinks their less-spectacular Ditko Spidey pages should sell in the $30 Gs just because this one did, they will be sorely disappointed when they try to sell them... And it may also lead to people overpaying for pages in the future thinking this is a harbinger of Dikto Spidey values overall.

Gene, another insightful post.

David, completely agree with you. Everyone focuses on the crazy ASM Ditko piece but the Romita 155 cover made just over 15K with the juice. We are seeing crazy prices for only the most extreme pieces while prices taper quickly for the B and C level pieces which have remained relatively flat.

My two cents.

I agree. The Ditko sticks out like a sore thumb. Take that out of the equation and I felt the auction was relatively subdued.

Hans made a good analogy on the comicart-l list a few months ago. Like the comic hobby, the best OA examples will command top, top dollar. There will also still be a market for the lesser examples because they'll be affordable to budget collectors. It will be the B, C examples (or mid-grade in comics) that will be in limbo. The high-rollers turn their noses up at them and the budget collectors can't afford them.

BTW, Rhino, there was another Mastro auction after the one with ASM #31. There were two Ditko ASM pages that went for a decent amount. They now look like bargains. I can't believe I just said that.

Anyone care to comment?

Some of the results have been...Amazing - to say the least.

I assume you mean the Spidey 29 page that went for $32K? Spidey 29 auction

Yeah, that's huge money. But it's one of the nicest, cleanest, action-filled pages I've seen in a while. I thought it would go in the mid-20s, so this was a little surprising. I think I can kiss my hopes of owning a really nice Ditko Spidey action page goodbye.... frown.gif

The Mastro auction of the entire issue of 31 had some reasonable prices realized, but I think it's because there were 22 pages hitting the market at once. Had they pieced out the pages here and there, they might have garnered higher prices. Unfortunately I was out of the country at that time and not in position to bid on anything anyway. Now I see some of the pages for sale at almost double what the auction price was.

confused-smiley-013.gif. Ah, capitalism! 27_laughing.gif

I agree.

It was a page where Spiderman was fighting a villain. You know. Hitting each other. I don't believe I've ever seen such a thing in a Marvel comic. The Spiderman #27 had much less hitting therefore making it worth less.

S

Anyone care to comment?

Some of the results have been...Amazing - to say the least.

I assume you mean the Spidey 29 page that went for $32K? Spidey 29 auction

Yeah, that's huge money. But it's one of the nicest, cleanest, action-filled pages I've seen in a while. I thought it would go in the mid-20s, so this was a little surprising. I think I can kiss my hopes of owning a really nice Ditko Spidey action page goodbye.... frown.gif

The Mastro auction of the entire issue of 31 had some reasonable prices realized, but I think it's because there were 22 pages hitting the market at once. Had they pieced out the pages here and there, they might have garnered higher prices. Unfortunately I was out of the country at that time and not in position to bid on anything anyway. Now I see some of the pages for sale at almost double what the auction price was.

confused-smiley-013.gif. Ah, capitalism! 27_laughing.gif

I agree.

It was a page where Spiderman was fighting a villain. You know. Hitting each other. I don't believe I've ever seen such a thing in a Marvel comic. The Spiderman #27 had much less hitting therefore making it worth less.

S

And I believe that the "closed fist" variety of hitting equates to a 25% bump in price, whereas if it had been the open hand or "Pimp Slap" variety of hitting you could only expect a 10-11% bump.

It is all very scientific when you break it down.

Chris

hi, thanks for the kind words.

actually the ASM #27 page knocked me out when i first saw it on Mastro. so i went for it.

by the way, i used my own logic for going that high (at the time) on an interior ASM page.

the way i saw it - im in the hobby since 2002 and in my four short years of collecting original comic art, i have never seen a DITKO ASM cover.

and i dont mean for sale, i mean i have never even seen one displayed on any website, comicartfans, etc.

so i figured since no covers will surface any time soon. and DITKO is the "creator", that i better get the best interior pages i can find, because that is all im going to find.

and to be honest, if a cover does surface for sale, im sure it will be 200k or so to get it.

that is why i think that these prices for the interior DITKO ASM pages will start to stick.

ps: i hope im wrong about this hypothesis of mine. because if their price does eventually implode back to $10k - $12k for a nice page, i will be more the happier.

nick

My logic is similar when it comes to Ditko ASM...for splashes. I believe it is the lack of available covers that has driven the splash pages to the $50K mark. Like the covers, there's only one splash for each issue. If you can't get a cover, a splash is a reasonable alternative. I didn't think panel pages, even nice action ones, would get dragged upwards so dramatically. But I guess that's how it trickles down. The panel page has become the alternative for the splash.

BTW, congrats on your score! That was definitely one of the best Ditko ASM/GG pages I've seen surface for sale(thumbs up

BTW, Rhino, there was another Mastro auction after the one with ASM #31. There were two Ditko ASM pages that went for a decent amount. They now look like bargains. I can't believe I just said that.

I was traveling through a lot of December and didn't even look at art -- didn't even see these on the Mastro site til you mentioned it.

WOW, Nik that's a KILLER page you got!! cloud9.gif

This is just my opinion, but OA prices are really driven by the number of buyers interested in the page and how deep the pockets are. For myself, I look at price trends but set my final amount I am willing to pay on how bad I want the art. As the bidding starts, I have often adjusted how much I will pay, sort of in the heat of the moment. To date, I have no regrets on anything I have bought but I have many regrets of the ones I didn't win. The Spider-man page on Mastro's auction is definitely the best Ditko page I have seen in any auction. I think the price was high, but not out of line and I think if it were to come to market in the next year, I think it could go higher.

any comments on the Jeff Jones paintings?

i wasn't surprised by the Conan painting, it seems like a classic... but i thought the Tarzan painting (which is in the Heritage archives as being sold at least twice) would have gone for waaaaay more...maybe it is that transparency thing again...i know i am turned off when i see items sell more than once in heritage auctions within a few years...

oh yeah, nice price on the lovely Morrow house of mystery complete story...

What did the Andru pages from ASM #152 go for? Did they hurt because so many pages from the same book show up at one time?

Nik, I'm not a Ditko guy, but even I can apprecaite the beauty of the your Spidey #27 panel, and I think hands down it is the nicest piece of work he has ever done.

Jim

What did the Andru pages from ASM #152 go for? Did they hurt because so many pages from the same book show up at one time?

The splash went for $4,332 and the pages went from between $717 and $1,434 (except for one with Spidey in only one panel which went for $227).

I wasn't particular impressed by any of the pages; the splash I felt was sub-par and the best page (the last one, which went for $1,434) had good action content but I wasn't really blown away by the quality of the art itself. I'm a big fan of Andru's work on ASM, but I did not feel like this issue really showcased his talent very well.

Nice price for the Conan piece. The Jones market is heating up. At the same time there is a LOT of material on the market so some bargains can still be had. I just picked this one up yesterday.

Jones.jpg

Very nice! Jones is so friggn moody...

hi david, this is nick katradis

so who got the Spidey #29 page?

nick

Hey Nick,

I have NO idea. Anyone care to volunteer?

Typically with high dollar sales - people like to keep it to private e-mails. That is, unless they showcase it in their CAF.

Ironically, in person, people are very forthcoming with information -- in cyberspace - not so much.

--David