• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery #9?

87 posts in this topic

I am fascinated with this book...

popcorn.gif

As a non-Timely collector, please help me grasp the demand for and scarcity of MM9...it is treated very Grail like every time it is mentioned, so I know it's a BIG KEY book. In the world of Timely's, where would MM9 rank for most of you.....top 10? top 3? #1 of them all ???

popcorn.gif

As a non-Timely collector, please help me grasp the demand for and scarcity of MM9...it is treated very Grail like every time it is mentioned, so I know it's a BIG KEY book. In the world of Timely's, where would MM9 rank for most of you.....top 10? top 3? #1 of them all ???

For me, personally, I am a big fan of Everett and Burgos, so to have them drawing the same strip is very cool. The cover alone (a Schomburg) would make me want the book! The scarcity adds to the mystique , although if it were common, I'd still want it. 22 pages of battle , plus backup features like Electro and the Angel by Gustavson, thats plenty of good material!

In terms of Timely's, it would be in my top five for sure, and my top ten books of all time!

popcorn.gif

I'm not really a Timely collector, though I have a few, but I would rather have this book than most of the Timely first issue keys. It's a long time example of cover trumping content. The first Subby-Torch battle is in #8, and presumably would be of greater historical importance, but #9 is the first cover battle, and a memorable one as well, so it gets all the attention, deservedly so IMHO. Definetely in my top ten Timelys.

I think rarity is a big factor also. MM #9 is one of three issues that I need to complete my Marvel Mystery run. (the other two being issues #4 and #6) I've found many copies of issues 4 and 6 but have been waiting for the "right" copies to come along. With marvel Mystery 9 its just very hard to find, and if you want one, you pretty much have to take whatever copy comes along. In the past year, without even looking I've seen 5 or 6 easily affordable copies of MM #8. Marvel Mystery #9 is much more difficult to get.

popcorn.gif

Top 5 Timely for me no question. Cover has to rank as one of the greatest from the early GA era and as others have pointed out, extremely hard to find in any grade. Looks like this is going to be expensive.

I can't get past the mouse chews.Does that make me a bad person?

No that's good, stay away, far, far away. poke2.gif I worry that if I win this book I will defintely be cracking it out of the slabb but would I risk getting some kind of desease from 60 year old rat chews. Might be like opening a cursed Eygptian tomb. crazy.gif

I can't get past the mouse chews.Does that make me a bad person?

No that's good, stay away, far, far away. poke2.gif I worry that if I win this book I will defintely be cracking it out of the slabb but would I risk getting some kind of desease from 60 year old rat chews. Might be like opening a cursed Eygptian tomb. crazy.gif

Oh it's way over the amount my wife allows me to spend for single funny books that aren't Pep 22, anyway. I won't be driving this one up.