• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What~Huh?! Can we buy a vowel -- "G.R.C.& C. Nickel Grade 7, Fine 2"?

14 posts in this topic

Hey there fellow forumites! hail.gif

I usually don't start this kind of post, as sadly it leads to seller-bashing... but this time it's so worth it! I know these guys, G.R.C. & C. (Grass Roots Comics and Collectibles) have been an entertaining topic here before.

Last time, Sid mentioned a rougher grade on a purchase here ---->

RIPPED OFF ON EBAY... G.R.C.&C. "Grading Scale" laughs too!

Now, this one is simply too much... "G.R.C.& C. Nickel Grade 7, Fine 2" -- WHAT?! 27_laughing.gif Yet, even in the photo their inclosed grading label (and Nickel, I assume) actually only mentions "Fine 1", however?

Observe, share and discuss ---->

CONFUSING GRADING and BAD SPELLING = A GOOD TIME ON EBAY!

Pounding prospective buyers w/ a confusing grading system and unending poor spelling is still a good business model, though -- right ? screwy.gif

** For bonus points: How many spelling errors can you find? (Hint: Even the title is spelled wrong.) thumbsup2.gif

bumpit.gif Yo Sid! Wow, thanks there bud... finally a reply to my post.

I thought it was a funny listing and even a seller/ topic that was addressed before, yet NO comments until this AM?

<Sniffle-Whimper> Golly, I just wasn't feelin' the love out there folks... sorry.gif

bumpit.gif Yo Sid! Wow, thanks there bud... finally a reply to my post.

I thought it was a funny listing and even a seller/ topic that was addressed before, yet NO comments until this AM?

<Sniffle-Whimper> Golly, I just wasn't feelin' the love out there folks... sorry.gif

If I remember correctly, this guy's err, rather unique, highly dubious and very silly "grading scale" has been discussed before, but it's worth mentioning again, if only to remind everyone how things were before grading got more standardized....

Nothing personal mate!...I think it's only that we've discussed this goofball seller umpteen times before, both here and in the GA forum.

Note the new disclaimer in his auctions:

there is no return on this graded comic.

So anyone can just completely invent their own nutty grading system, and then claim "no returns" because after all, they've accurately graded the book according to their own system. You really can't make this stuff up... foreheadslap.gif

Nothing personal mate!...I think it's only that we've discussed this goofball seller umpteen times before, both here and in the GA forum.

If I remember correctly, this guy's err, rather unique, highly dubious and very silly "grading scale" has been discussed before, but it's worth mentioning again, if only to remind everyone how things were before grading got more standardized....

Point well taken, gents. I usually don't dabble enough in the GA Forums to have realized the repetitive nature of this recent thread. Therefore, like this thread, perhaps we need to simply let it be, eh? -Neal

Point well taken, gents. I usually don't dabble enough in the GA Forums to have realized the repetitive nature of this recent thread. Therefore, like this thread, perhaps we need to simply let it be, eh? -Neal

I wasn't having a go at you - quite the opposite. I said it was worth mentioning. confused-smiley-013.gif

I wasn't having a go at you - quite the opposite. I said it was worth mentioning. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ok...ok...we get the point that you're tired of reading about this seller. Why are you being so mean about it?

Ok...ok...we get the point that you're tired of reading about this seller. Why are you being so mean about it?

tongue.gif

I just had 1 question for him, which if he had answered without getting upset I probably would've dropped the whole issue. How does dynamic grading standards to fit "your" need help the hobby as you claim?

His reply was, the numbers represent more then just appearance but completeness and page quality. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif The "9" I got has pages so brittle I can't even move it in and out of bag without chipping the 893censored-thumb.gif thing.

I just had 1 question for him, which if he had answered without getting upset I probably would've dropped the whole issue. How does dynamic grading standards to fit "your" need help the hobby as you claim?

His reply was, the numbers represent more then just appearance but completeness and page quality. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif The "9" I got has pages so brittle I can't even move it in and out of bag without chipping the 893censored-thumb.gif thing.

Were you assuming that the higher the number the better the quality?

I was assuming that as a dealer he'd know enough to grade books, I put a lot of faith in sellers when I buy which is my big downfall I guess. If he said "9" I bid up to a VF copy for the book. And if I list a book as a 9 vs a book as a 5, would you assume 5 is a better copy? confused.gif I guess I don't get your angle.

I was assuming that as a dealer he'd know enough to grade books, I put a lot of faith in sellers when I buy which is my big downfall I guess. If he said "9" I bid up to a VF copy for the book. And if I list a book as a 9 vs a book as a 5, would you assume 5 is a better copy? confused.gif I guess I don't get your angle.

Just riffing on the fact that his grading scale is so non-sensecal and convoluted from what I can see, that it is only an assumption that the condition rises with the numbering. Normally a logical assumption with most sellers, but with this con-artist who knows? Did you file a complaint with ebay - GRCC is exactly the kind of scum that gives ebay a bad rep.

Wowee... now I feel the love angel.gif, but sometimes love hurts, eh?

Nah, seriously -- no offense taken! I wasn't insulted, I simply require constant encouragement... and have a deep-seeded need for peer approval. shy.gif

Just riffing on the fact that his grading scale is so non-sensecal and convoluted from what I can see, that it is only an assumption that the condition rises with the numbering. Normally a logical assumption with most sellers, but with this con-artist who knows? Did you file a complaint with ebay - GRCC is exactly the kind of scum that gives ebay a bad rep.

Well one thing that was different on this one was, instead of his usual double grade such as "nickel 9, fine 2" BS, he had just "High Grade 9" written on it. And this was the first time dealing with the seller and I didn't look at his other items. I did file a complaint with ebay who ushered me to paypal where these claims apparantely take months to resolve. I might drop paypal permanently and ebay for buying if I run into 1 or 2 more of these people.