• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Dumbest questions ever.

25 posts in this topic

So remember that big power outage in the East a couple years ago? I'm working for one of the nation's top internet providers. (I'd say the name, but I'm afraid later I'll say something really horrible about them and then... well, you get it.)

At any rate. Major power outage. Get a call from a subscriber in New York. "Yes, my internet just went out." "Are you getting an error message?" "No the tv isn't on." "You mean the monitor?" "Yes."

By this point, of course, I already know what's going on. But you're required to actually troubleshoot things despite the experiences we've all had where that doesn't occur. And I was in disbelief someone is really THIS uninformed.

"Can you turn the monitor on?" "No, of course not! The power is out!" "Unfortunately, the internet requires power. If it still isn't working when the power comes back, give us a call back. Thanks for calling **blahblah** technical support."

Oy.

Not exactly a question but funny situation.

I was working at my folks shop over the summer and we were having a sale 1/2 off everything for the day. A lady walked in, strolls for over an hour, picks out an item that normally costs a quarter and comes up. I ring her up, *sigh*, I think with tax it was like 16 cents. She offers me her credit card!!!!! I just looked at her like 'wtf' and asked do you have maybe cash and explained the charges would outweigh the purchase for us. She threw a fit for a long time, I ended up using the card and the *spoon* thing got declined. She put the item back and walked out never looking back. Customers waiting on line had some hilarious comments about it after she was gone.

So remember that big power outage in the East a couple years ago? I'm working for one of the nation's top internet providers. (I'd say the name, but I'm afraid later I'll say something really horrible about them and then... well, you get it.)

At any rate. Major power outage. Get a call from a subscriber in New York. "Yes, my internet just went out." "Are you getting an error message?" "No the tv isn't on." "You mean the monitor?" "Yes."

By this point, of course, I already know what's going on. But you're required to actually troubleshoot things despite the experiences we've all had where that doesn't occur. And I was in disbelief someone is really THIS uninformed.

"Can you turn the monitor on?" "No, of course not! The power is out!" "Unfortunately, the internet requires power. If it still isn't working when the power comes back, give us a call back. Thanks for calling **blahblah** technical support."

Oy.

27_laughing.gif Honestly I'd like to think this would only happen once in a lifetime but after dealing with some people I know better.