• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what's the deal with the ads on the headers and footers now?

39 posts in this topic

Somehow this strikes me as a conflict of interest; to have ads from people that sell comic books on a website that impartially grades comic books.

Is it just me? Sorry if this topic has been brought up before... crazy.gif

Somehow this strikes me as a conflict of interest; to have ads from people that sell comic books on a website that impartially grades comic books.

Is it just me? Sorry if this topic has been brought up before... crazy.gif

CGC needs to make a living too.

The comics are still impartially graded. The graders don't see a name next to the books, just a bar code.

They have to pay for the use of that new building somehow. grin.gif

BTW it's very nice.

The comics are still impartially graded. The graders don't see a name next to the books, just a bar code.

So are you really trying to say if a stack of pre-sorted "this week's" Moderns regularly show up, they are going to be totally oblivious that they aren't Colossus' 9.8 submittal?

Jim

So are you really trying to say if a stack of pre-sorted "this week's" Moderns show up, they are going to be totally oblivious that they aren't Colossus' 9.8 submittal?

Jim

Well, I don't see, how the ads on the CGC website is going to change whether or not, the graders no who's long box of moderns that show up.

I do know, that when I handed Eric a box of GA for submission, Steve wanted no part of seeing the submission. That's why he brought Eric out to the lobby.

I am a pretty good judge of charactor, and when I had lunch with Steve and Paul, I felt I was among very honest people.

I personally trust CGC and what I have said in this thread, is just my own opinion.

Mike

So are you really trying to say if a stack of pre-sorted "this week's" Moderns show up, they are going to be totally oblivious that they aren't Colossus' 9.8 submittal?

Jim

Well, I don't see, how the ads on the CGC website is going to change whether or not, the graders no who's long box of moderns that show up.

I do know, that when I handed Eric a box of GA for submission, Steve wanted no part of seeing the submission. That's why he brought Eric out to the lobby.

I am a pretty good judge of charactor, and when I had lunch with Steve and Paul, I felt I was among very honest people.

I personally trust CGC and what I have said in this thread, is just my own opinion.

Mike

Mike -

I can't disagree with anything you write, however....

Doesn't CGC have a duty to not only maintain impartiality in fact, but also maintain the appearance of impartiality and avoid situations where impartiality could be reasonably questioned?

The acceptance of ad revenue from big submitters just further deepens the perception that CGC **could** be indebted to certain parties and that they may strive harder to assure that the "customer remains satisfied."

The acceptance of ad revenue from big submitters just further deepens the perception that CGC **could** be indebted to certain parties and that they may strive harder to assure that the "customer remains satisfied."

Couldn't you say the same thing about Overstreet? A publication chock full of ads.

think more Consumer Reports... No ads. No apparent conflicts of interest.

But I really dont have a problem with who is placing ads here. I dont think any one will be spending so much as to upset whatever balances have been in place so far.... given the special interests already in our hobby, which, as we know have all been prsising and damning CGC for their grading. For all the shouts of insider deals and favors there are many complaints from the higher ups to the contrary.

Couldn't you say the same thing about Overstreet? A publication chock full of ads.

Overstreet is not selling a grading service. They release a price guide...once a year...

Impartiality is the core basis of CGC's business model and necessary for any third party grading service. To include exhibiting the appearance of impartiality within the hobby. See PGX to see how not maintaing that appearance can hurt you...

Allowing practices that puts your company's impartiality in question shouldn't even be considered...

Jim

Jim

Mike

Mike -

I can't disagree with anything you write, however....

Doesn't CGC have a duty to not only maintain impartiality in fact, but also maintain the appearance of impartiality and avoid situations where impartiality could be reasonably questioned?

hi.gif Steve:

I feel, that these ads are here for a combination of revenue for CGC and to be made available for us. The people paying for these ads, are going to benefit substantially from board members.

CGC does has a duty to maintain impartiality. My feeling is, that they do. They see hundreds and hundreds of book on a daily basis. When they grade a book, that's exactly what they do grade the book, and move on to the next. It is a repetitious job.

Overstreet is not selling a grading service. They release a price guide...once a year...

Impartiality is the core basis of CGC's business model and necessary for any third party grading service. To include exhibiting the appearance of impartiality within the hobby. See PGX to see how not maintaing that appearance can hurt you...

Allowing practices that puts your company's impartiality in question shouldn't even be considered...

Jim

Right, but isn't it a similar conflict of interest for Overstreet to accept ads from Metropolis when Steve owns the run of Pep Mile Highs(among tons of other books), or from Dave Anderson who owns the nicest copies of the some of the biggest keys? The possibility of that ad revenue affecting how Overstreet determines the value of the mentioned books is just as great as CGC's ad revenue affecting how they grade books or detect resto. Isn't impartiality the core of Overstreet's business, as well? To me, it's the same thing.

I should go on record as saying that I don't think ads in either Overstreet or here on the boards have any affect whatsoever on how Overstreet or CGC does their jobs.

Jim

Right, but isn't it a similar conflict of interest for Overstreet to accept ads from Metropolis when Steve owns the run of Pep Mile Highs(among tons of other books), or from Dave Anderson who owns the nicest copies of the some of the biggest keys? The possibility of that ad revenue affecting how Overstreet determines the value of the mentioned books is just as great as CGC's ad revenue affecting how they grade books or detect resto. Isn't impartiality the core of Overstreet's business, as well? To me, it's the same thing.

I should go on record as saying that I don't think ads in either Overstreet or here on the boards have any affect whatsoever on how Overstreet or CGC does their jobs.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

One's a yearly publication...the other is an ongoing grading service for profit. It's apples and oranges. It's kinda silly to compare the two...

Regardless, I don't think anyone has considered Overstreet "impartial" in many many years...if ever...and their business model doesn't have the dependence on "impartiality" that a third company grading company needs to survive...

Jim

Im surprised noone has ben upset about Matt Nelsons banner advertising restoration and pressing. I know its an old battle weary subject, but its still a first...

Why? CGC aren't anti-restoration, so why shouldn't they permit Matt to advertise to the extent they let any other dealer or comic-related business to advertise? Are you saying Susan and Tracey and others wouldn't be allowed to advertise their restoration and/or pressing services either?

Im surprised noone has ben upset about Matt Nelsons banner advertising restoration and pressing. I know its an old battle weary subject, but its still a first...

Why? CGC aren't anti-restoration, so why shouldn't they permit Matt to advertise to the extent they let any other dealer or comic-related business to advertise? Are you saying Susan and Tracey and others wouldn't be allowed to advertise their restoration and/or pressing services either?

But should he be described as a "Featured Partner"? I don't see any of the other advertisers given that designation. I have a problem with it because of the special status afforded a restorer, one who also happens to sell CGC slabs on eBay, than the advertising per se...

Jim

I said Im surprised noone was upset yet about its presence. I made no judgments about its propriety.