• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You Ever Get The Urge To?

44 posts in this topic

Sell it all confused-smiley-013.gif

Say to yourself what the heck I am doing will all this stuff?

Why the hell do I have multiples of this issue?

What am I thinking with these books encased in plastic all over my house?

Only to get a box from the mailman, open it up and go cloud9.gif

I love this eee yay.gif

I love this eee yay.gif

Yeah...you love the eee you just get...

But then you have to go back and look at all the stuff inside again as you add to the pile... Christo_pull_hair.gifinsane.gif

Jim

I love this eee yay.gif

27_laughing.gif...Oh ya...just check my eBay auction right now acclaim.gif

Funny thing is, the same day I was busy listing my collection, I got my latest eBay winning delivered at my door...so I added it to the group. insane.gif

...and I'm still searching for books to add to my collection. 27_laughing.gif

yea sometime i do. i sometimes wonder what the hell i’m doing with all this craap.

but then i start thinking of the history of the medium, how the comics are a snap shots

into our own history, how i feel like i’m in some small way preserving that history, and

how much my son will (probably) enjoy them when he is my age, and i fall in love all over

again.

I know frown.gif

I go downstairs and its a disaster with books/slabs/statues/OA all over the place.

For the first time in my life I finally decided to actually put them in a spreadheet. I figure I should be done by the end of the year acclaim.gif

I'm selling more than I'm buying because I need the extra money. Personally, I have a lot of fun rummaging through my many many boxes of comics, finding treasures I had forgotten about. It helps when you have 80% of them disorganized. Only to the extent that comics could be converted into cash that I could use to pay bills (and really fix up the house we just bought) do I feel that way and selling comics (unless you dump them in a lot) is time consuming, so I can't just get rid of all of them right away.

But then when i sell off some nice SA or GA book for $300-$400 and realize that this will pay for one frigging replacement window in a house that could easily have 20-25 windows replaced (they're almost all original --- 100 years old), it depresses me. Or that much is what it will cost for one day of work out of a contractor to fix up the back porch that is in need of repair, or one month of homeowner's insurance...or 3 days of babysitter for my kid....uhg, it's all depressing!

I love this eee yay.gif

No but I often hear " Ti einai aftes Oi Malakies pou exeis tora" from my Familly.

i'm a dork

nice when you can re-read one of your posts and apply on the spot critique like that.

But I can't judge to harshly...I am doing the same thing for my son. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sell it all

Say to yourself what the heck I am doing with all this stuff?

Yep.

I do it a lot right after I buy something and am feeling guilty for spending money on more funny books.

Sometimes it gets as far as pulling out several boxes so that I can decide what to sell first. I never get past the letter A's before I'm putting them back.

I get the urge to sell everything all the time, but a couple of things usually stop me:

1.) Resale value - If there was a magic buyer standing behind door No. 3 waiting to buy my entire collection at 20% over FMV, I would have probably sold my collection a long time ago during these depressing times. However, as others have mentioned, by the time I start thinking about all the logistics involved with selling (Ebay, consignment, waiting months for book to sell, shipping, etc.), that emptiness mood has already passed.

2.) Since I'm not married or have any kids, there really is a small void in my life that gets filled with my comic book collecting. If I could find a cheaper hobby that I'd enjoy as much as collecting comic books, I'd probably consider selling everything. However, going out, watching TV, socializing, work, etc. do not fully satisfy my needs, so I always come back to comic book collecting.

3.) When I only collected semi-HG BA and SA books, I knew that I could easily replace my collection by paying slightly over FMV. However, now that I collect golden age good girl art books, there is no guarantee that I can replace my collection years down the line. Heck, I've been looking for certain copies for over 3 years and still no luck.

All this being said, I do believe that once I do get married, I'll probably make some major decisions concerning my comic book collecting habits.