• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 sales talk from Joey Q

3 posts in this topic

Where is Joe Collector now? grin.gif

From an interview with Joey Q:

NRAMA: Speaking of sales, this week Diamond revealed the final year-end 2006 sales figures. Civil War dominated the Top 10, but that said, overall, the Top 100 “split” with DC was essentially identical to last year, as were the market share levels in relation to your closest rivals.

Now sales grew for the industry overall, and Marvel and Civil War were no doubt a large part of that, but that said, as someone who in the past has encouraged a rivalry with DC, and who understands it is a competitive environment, any reaction to the ratio of titles sold from Marvel and DC pretty much remaining steady?

JQ: I think it’s great news for everyone and I don’t see what your point is exactly… Didn’t we beat our closest opponent again? Ultimately, what was incredibly important for us as well as significant for us as a publishing division is that after five years of plugging away, according to our sales analyst folk, we've finally overtaken DC in the collections department. But hey, I¹m not a math guy, I just make the comics.

Bottom line, and something that goes well above and beyond the Top 100 split, is that sales for the entire industry is up over 2005 by over 10%! So the rivalry, the stories we are telling, whatever you want to attribute it to, has been bringing in more relapsed and new readers, which is something that cannot be denied, and is only encouraged by the enthusiasm the comic fans of today have for the industry.

NRAMA: And given that 52 made up nearly half of the titles DC placed in the Top 100 for the year, are you sure Marvel isn't going to launch a weekly series of their own? [laughs]

JQ: As I've mentioned before, we will not be doing a weekly comic in 2007. I repeat, NO WEEKLY comic in 2007.

NRAMA: Finally, any thoughts of your own on sales for 2006? Anything strike you as good, bad, noteworthy or interesting in any way?

JQ: Nothing outside of the fact that it was one of the best years ever in the sense that not only did we have incredible market growth and consumer awareness, but so much of it is all new readership. That's the best part for me, people reading the books.

linky

They are not doing a weekly comic, not by choice, but because it would never ship on time.

The interesting part would be to compare the results of 52 versus the books where the creative team left or is still on them. Most of Johns' non-52 books have been pretty sad and I bet sales have dipped significantly. It's possible that the toll of 52 being weekly is being felt elsewhere.

Pat