• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Canadian editions?

26 posts in this topic

If u are referring to the b/w Timely Annuals, Capt America published in Canada 1942. Marvel Mystery published in USA 1944 for Cdn distribution only. Thick 144 pg b/w reprints with no ads. Last page or center page is a crossword puzzle page depending on placement of the interior reprints. Back covers are blank.

What about the late 1940's Canadian Marvel Comics editions? I just picked up a nice Canadian copy Marvel Crime book from 1949 (the title escapes me right now). How sought after are these books?

I have seen a lot of interest in Candian edition Timelys on here. Just curious, what is the difference? What time frame were they released? Are the values the same as US editions?

Thanks

Here's some other rare Canadian versions of US comics.

This cover was redone from the original Pep 22, which depicted the Shield in an Ameircan flag costume, not a Union Jack, and the boot originally had the Japanese flag on it. Canada removed it because they had no beef with Japan, only with Germany.

Oh, and this also contains the first appearance of Archie. To my knowledge, this was printed essentially at the same time as Pep 22 in the U.S.

Super1Pep22Canadian.jpg

And here is another Archie issue that may be more rare than the Canadian Pep 22. It's a one-shot with blank back cover much like the Marvel Mystery annual.

FYI, this is the same copy that's currently up on ebay.

Archie1Canadian.jpg

There are fair number of late 40's Timely Canadian editions. From memory they were either published by either Bell or Superior Comics in Toronto. Generally, the issues have the same content as the US editions but with Canadian ads. The printing quality is, however, inferior to the US Timelys.

There are fair number of late 40's Timely Canadian editions. From memory they were either published by either Bell or Superior Comics in Toronto. Generally, the issues have the same content as the US editions but with Canadian ads. The printing quality is, however, inferior to the US Timelys.

Are these books in any demand though?

I have seen a lot of interest in Candian edition Timelys on here. Just curious, what is the difference? What time frame were they released? Are the values the same as US editions?

Thanks

Superior Publishing did a handful of issues in the late 1940's for runs like the Human Torch, Captain America and the Sub-Mariner. I think their value is on par with the U.S. counterparts mainly because for every 10-12 copies you see of the originals you might be lucky to find 1 Canadian copy kicking around. The Cap #74 CGC 8.0 that PGC sold in 2005 (still on their website) went for around $7,000. I have only seen 2 of these and if you look at PGC Mint's description they described the 2002-2003 Heritage listing of the book as the "only known copy". Maybe they were referring to the CGC census but I still haven't seen a 3rd copy and there are alot of great collectors/collections that post on these boards. Still only 2 copies in the census.

Sure these were only printed in Canada but if you collect Timley's these are great additions. Marvel Mystery Comics #92 was actually published by Bell Features and I didn't realize until last week that there was even a Canadian print of this issue. If someone had a master list of which Timely superhero books were reprinted please post it.

I have posted these to death in the last few years but am always willing to do so again if someone asks. shy.gif

i hope i can speak on behalf of timely collectors [superhero collectors, anyway]--there is NO demand for the books per se; in other words i know of no U.S. timely collector who is in active pursuit of one of the Canadian versions [unless it would be the annuals, which i don't count in any event]. Where the demand does come in tangentially is when a run is getting close or a particular book is simply hard to find, and the Canadian copy is used as a stop-gap. I don't have any in my hard-core runs, but do, i think, have an early venus, one Young Men, and maybe one other i can't recall.

And note that they can be different, in interior content AND cover-wise. The hardest in the blonde phantom run is 20--the u.s. copy has a red banner; the canadian depicts the same scene, but with a white banner. there's an astonishing with a cover entirely unlike any in the u.s. run. i'm sure there are alot more, and i don't claim to have exhaustive knowledge on the similarities/lack thereof, but these are just a couple i'm familiar with because they crossed my radar screen. i had a couple shots at a canadian blonde 20 when it was the last one i needed to close the run, but held out and finally got a real pretty red one.

bottom line, if you really need a certain copy badly, can't find a u.s. copy, then fill it up with the Canadian. you will not have the ease of getting rid of in the market someday as you would the u.s. you should also not be paying the same amount you would offer for the 'real thing.'

Billy that surprising but maybe because I'm Canadian. wink.gif I also think that the rarity of these books probably has something to do with your sentiments because its almost like trying to chase down Aschan's (only a handful available so why bother). The Cap #74 is probably the best example of a Canadian copy selling at par to its US counterpart but I'm sure that there are a few others that would fall in this category.

and maybe one other i can't recall.

i remember; it's a 'casey, crime photographer.' i know, i'm a big geek. i have a good heart, tho'.

Billy that surprising but maybe because I'm Canadian. wink.gif I also think that the rarity of these books probably has something to do with your sentiments because its almost like trying to chase down Aschan's (only a handful available so why bother). The Cap #74 is probably the best example of a Canadian copy selling at par to its US counterpart but I'm sure that there are a few others that would fall in this category.

sometimes the canadian seems more plentiful, cap 70, for one.

Billy

When you are ready to sell some of your Canadian Timely books let me know.

As a Canadian I know how scarce and or rare some of the titles are. I think American collectors are not aware or have no knowledge of these books so they have no interest in them. Overstreet doesn`t list the true Canadian books such as Wow, Triumph , Dime , Tang, Slam Bang etc. etc. etc., out of site out of mind. If Overstreet started listing these books you would see a greater interest in Canadian versions as well as the true Canadian titles by collectors in the U.S. let alone higher prices.

John

I think that a US 8.0 Cap 74 would sell for more than the Canadian. Currently the highest graded US copy is a 7.5.

I think that a US 8.0 Cap 74 would sell for more than the Canadian. Currently the highest graded US copy is a 7.5.

I agree and given the rise in value in the past year and half I'd say the Canadian copy could fetch more than $7,000 today. Last summer Harley wanted $1,500 for my 4.0 copy Canadian copy and I gladly paid him. I bet I could easily get $2,500 for it today which is roughly where a US copy would fall (maybe slightly higher). Same situation with my Sub-Mariner #32, was fortunante to get it at a great price from a board member and I'm sure I could easily double my money with it.

In addition to Canadian copies of U.S. titles, which seem mostly to be published by Superior - who also did the EC reprints, I've seen Canadian books with Timely/Atlas content but uniquely Canadian titles. Most look to have used interior splash panels for cover art. One I wished I chased a little harder on ebay a number of years back, had a Human Torch cover, I forget the title, but I don't think the cover art was from a U.S. cover.

Does anyone have a copy of the original Captain Marvel vs. Human Torch comic from Brazil - from the 50's I think - featured in Alter Ego awhile back.