• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OO COLLECTIONS

41 posts in this topic

what constitutes an original owner collection? does it have to have been purchased off the racks?

does it have to have been collected before a certain time period? and how do you know if they are

for real?

i have my own felling but i was hoping to hear others thoughts.

what constitutes an original owner collection? does it have to have been purchased off the racks?

does it have to have been collected before a certain time period? and how do you know if they are

for real?

like everything else being discussed on these boards, i'm pretty sure there are varying opinions.

i possess (still have 80+% of it) an Original Owner collection. Almost each and every book was purchased by me off the rack at the same store (Sid's Luncheonette) from around 1957 right up to the beginning of 1965.

it's comprised of most of the Superhero books of that time. the quality varies because in the 50's and early 60's i was younger and fandom hadn't really come into it's own yet. by 1962/3, the Hobby of collecting was starting to take off and i was getting older and more careful with my possessions.

if more of the late 50's DC's and the early Key Marvel books were in HG, i would have pushed for Pedigree status, but alas, that's just not the case..........i've got most of everything from that era, but much of the collection is Midgrade. i've got loads of 1st, 2d or 3d top census books in the 60's, but nothing before that.

so, overall a nice Original Owner collection...............and you only have my word on that.................. smile.gif

....acquired directly from the newstand.

Where else can a "one owner and only one owner" buy them???

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Technically they all could have been subscriptions insane.gif

But sadly, my collection is about 9% Original. My childhood friends and I did a lot of trading.

....acquired directly from the newstand.

Where else can a "one owner and only one owner" buy them???

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Technically they all could have been subscriptions insane.gif

But sadly, my collection is about 9% Original. My childhood friends and I did a lot of trading.

It would be awesome if there was a prescription pedigree

where hundreds of thousands of issues collected were in VF/NM

shape...

excluding the prescrption fold.

hail.gif

Subscription? (That was my answer, but I was a little late.)

These are the Sid's Luncheonette books I own. I had a few others which have gone to other places....good places.

Even the 6.0 looks fresh. I get a kick out of knowing that aside from Harry, someone I know personally, I'm the only other person to own these.

Red

sidsgroup.jpg

I have portions of two OO collections, and all of another one.

The first one I obtained from a woman whose son had died in the Vietnam War in about 1960. From what I saw of his room in 1977 or so, she had shut his bedroom door and never opened it again. It was like a time capsule, down to the sports pennants on the wall. The books themselves were mostly in the VG-FN range, but hadn't been touched in 15+ years.

The second was a complete collection purchased from a co-worker in 2002. He'd kept his collection of about 600 comics - mostly Archie titles from the late '60s to mid-'70s - in boxes in a storage locker for 20+ years. While the older books were in the FN to VF- range, the books from 1972-74 were truly pristine; many of them seem to have never been read and grade out to 9.2s to 9.8s.

The third is about 100 books I've bought over the past few years from my neighbor, who moved in next door after his father died. He basically moved back into his childhood home, and his collection was still stored on shelves in an unused room. Marvel and a few DCs and Barks duck books from 1961 to 1970. The grades were/are all over the map, but the books that had just sat in stacks (as opposed to those in boxes) were sweet, especially those in the middle of stacks. Some of the FFs, Nick Furys and Spideys grade out to VF or a little better.

Always fun to come across such collections!

A collection of books bought from one person. For the most part, a collection of books bought back before they cost crazy money, call it 1980. Yeah yeah, I know OO technically means original owner or one owner but the idea is that its practically a pedigree and has a nifty aspect to it since it was collected by one person. You get to see what they like and how they collected.

I bought a monster collection of 60's to early 80's books and i consider it an OO with about half the books coming from the late 70's on up bought at comic shows or stores when they came out. Sure the 60's books clearly were bought second hand but since it was all one owner I could see his tastes and other aspects.

Coming across a collection that hasn't been cherry picked is just a great feeling especially if you get a chance to buy it outright. Second to that is going through it and understanding the story behind it. The Pedigree stuff is cool with those histories but behind every collection is a story; often sad, in that somebody died. Even then, it's still cool that you are remembering a fellow collector and got to see how, what, and why he collected. If I died tomorrow and my wife had one of you over to buy my entire collection, you'd see my CGC Bugs Bunnies and WDCS as well as my Spidey's and X-men among other books. You couldn't help but think "who was this guy and what and why did he collect what he did" Always a cool aspect of finding a collection.

I've shown this a few times. This was a picture of the OO I bought last year that I spoke of above. I had a one bedroom apartment at the time and this is where I kept this collection for over a week in the middle of a move. Good times.

Charmlot.jpg

does it have to have been collected before a certain time period? and how do you know if they are for real?

I think the answer to your initial question is pretty self-explanatory - a collection of books bought by the original owner (as in, none of the books were bought used/second hand, they could be from a newstand, could be subscription books, could be from a direct market comic store, etc.,.). Your third question makes me think that what you're really asking is what constitutes a "Pedigree Collection", and you may find more information on that right here on the boards.

They're sweet. thumbsup2.gif
Does Harry have X-Men 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

of course........but my OO run ran out at issue #10, i believe.

i was 17 years old and felt foolish being seen buying funny books. i have since accumulated probably around 250 or so of the first 300 issues.......... grin.gif

They're sweet. thumbsup2.gif
Does Harry have X-Men 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

of course........but my OO run ran out at issue #10, i believe.

i was 17 years old and felt foolish being seen buying funny books. i have since accumulated probably around 250 or so of the first 300 issues.......... grin.gif

Harry, that's what cracks me up. At seventeen, you feel childish for buying stuff that 10 year olds buy.

At 30/40/50/60, you simply don't give a 893censored-thumb.gif! 27_laughing.gif

So if I buy some comics from an original owner, they're not original owner comics anymore since now they're owned by a second owner? How many hands can they go through before you can't call them original owner comics anymore? poke2.gif

One. confused-smiley-013.gif