• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : Round 4

103 posts in this topic

Chill out guys! CGC beefed this one, plain and simple. Not worth beating yourselves up over. I thought I was being very generous giving it a 9.0! 893whatthe.gif

I told Nik I was debating between 7.5 & 9.0

I went with 9.0 because I had the feeling that the ULC was somewhat production related...and CGC wouldn't hammer it.

more than half the folks missed this one by 3 grades insane.gif and 98% undergraded the book............. confused.gif

That's a pretty good indicator that CGC grossly overgraded this book.

Actually, all it really indicates is . . . "GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting. "

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

All I know is if someone sent me that book raw, as a NM-, I would send it back without giving it a second thought. I have books CGC graded as 8.0 which look nicer than that one. Is there a Neal Adams bump?

I agree. Nothing against Nik here, but that book isn't a 9.2. I have 7.5s that look way nicer.

Isn't there a different mindset at CGC for the older books. Maybe that played a factor.

I gave it a 9.0. Thought about a 9.2, but my inclination was to grade downward on it.

I'll tell ya I missed one pretty badly in my early submission days. It was one of the Byrne/Claremont X-Mens--the one with Dazzler on the cover. Thought to myself, "I'm going to get a 9 this or a 9 that". I ended up getting a 5.5 I think. tonofbricks.gif Pretty humbling. Since then, I've paid closer attention to what I've submitted and I have gotten anything less than a 9.4. acclaim.gif