• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone care for The Boy Wonder?

47 posts in this topic

I don't understand how almost all major Timely heroes and quite a few major DC heroes ended up with a sidekick (or goofy non-powered follower), but Superman didn't. It would seem, in retrospect, that if sidekicks were catching on, editors would be falling all over themselves trying to invent one for Superman.

I've wondered that myself as well, Thank God they didn't.

His name was Jimmy Olsen. Okay I realize he didn't really achieve that status until the 1950s. In the 40s, the creation of Superboy probably made a kid sidekick seem redundant.

What about Krypto? Can any Superman scholars out there give us a first appearance?

I think it was Adventure 210?

I don't understand how almost all major Timely heroes and quite a few major DC heroes ended up with a sidekick (or goofy non-powered follower), but Superman didn't. It would seem, in retrospect, that if sidekicks were catching on, editors would be falling all over themselves trying to invent one for Superman.

His name was Jimmy Olsen. Okay I realize he didn't really achieve that status until the 1950s. In the 40s, the creation of Superboy probably made a kid sidekick seem redundant.

What about Krypto? Can any Superman scholars out there give us a first appearance?

Wouldn't that be Adventure Comics #210 which in my personal opinion is a hugely overpriced book in guide since I don't really place that much importance on Krypto.

Of course, the other argument for its high price is that it is an extremely tough book to find in grade. My counterpoint is that so is a lot of ther DC books from that particular time period and we don't see them being priced anywhere even remotely close to Adventure #210.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif aside from the fact that Superboy wasn't created until the late 40's versus all the other side-kick, your comment did remind me that while there was a Cpt Marvel Jr, the Big Red Cheese never had a side-kick either.

Billy Batson was the sidekick Capt Marvel, so to speak.

No Kryptonian kid kicking around? confused-smiley-013.gif I mean, it's tough to be the last one of your race.

Yeah, but that didn't stop Doiby Dickles, Percival Popp, and similar types of non-powered humorous tag-alongs from ruining countless superhero stories of the mid-1940's. How did Superman avoid getting one of those?

They were called Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen. gossip.gif