• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone care for The Boy Wonder?

47 posts in this topic

Robin is gay sumo.gif

I think this very elegantly and with great sensitivity towards political correctness, touches on a concern many of us have that may be effecting this characters collectibility and desirability. Well said Mad Dog thumbsup2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

The side-kick I always found really creepy was the little kid who hung out with Uncle Sam in National Comics. Seems like he's always manning a machine gun and enthusiastically gunning down people. 27_laughing.gif

Who? grin.gif -

1609958-USQuarterly4MachineGunning.jpg

He reminds me of Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket.

I got no problem with him but his appearance cut short the more moody, violent, and magic-oriented story-lines in the pre-Robin Tecs. I also happen to be a fan of the early 50s stories and Robin fits right in with those.

The only thing I really like about Robin is he made the sub-set of Detectives I want to collect much smaller....27-38!

devil.gif

For me, not only does the boy sidekick idea work against the crime and mystery setting of early and later Batman, but the primary colored, elf shoe, jacket and underpants look really clashes with the whole strike fear in hearts of criminals motif Batman was going for.

I always assumed Batman put Robin in such a bright costume to draw fire. confused-smiley-013.gif

For me, not only does the boy sidekick idea work against the crime and mystery setting of early and later Batman, but the primary colored, elf shoe, jacket and underpants look really clashes with the whole strike fear in hearts of criminals motif Batman was going for.

I always assumed Batman put Robin in such a bright costume to draw fire. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

I got no problem with him but his appearance cut short the more moody, violent, and magic-oriented story-lines in the pre-Robin Tecs. I also happen to be a fan of the early 50s stories and Robin fits right in with those.

The only thing I really like about Robin is he made the sub-set of Detectives I want to collect much smaller....27-38!

devil.gif

Now that's certainly an interesting and investment quality way of looking at it. thumbsup2.gif

I don't understand how almost all major Timely heroes and quite a few major DC heroes ended up with a sidekick (or goofy non-powered follower), but Superman didn't. It would seem, in retrospect, that if sidekicks were catching on, editors would be falling all over themselves trying to invent one for Superman.

I don't understand how almost all major Timely heroes and quite a few major DC heroes ended up with a sidekick (or goofy non-powered follower), but Superman didn't. It would seem, in retrospect, that if sidekicks were catching on, editors would be falling all over themselves trying to invent one for Superman.

I've wondered that myself as well, Thank God they didn't.

No Kryptonian kid kicking around? confused-smiley-013.gif I mean, it's tough to be the last one of your race.

No Kryptonian kid kicking around? confused-smiley-013.gif I mean, it's tough to be the last one of your race.

Yeah, but that didn't stop Doiby Dickles, Percival Popp, and similar types of non-powered humorous tag-alongs from ruining countless superhero stories of the mid-1940's. How did Superman avoid getting one of those?

Yeah, but that didn't stop Doiby Dickles, Percival Popp, and similar types of non-powered humorous tag-alongs from ruining countless superhero stories of the mid-1940's. How did Superman avoid getting one of those?

My second thought on this is the difference in editorship across the titles and the difference in writers. It'll take me a little more research to see if that theory holds water and time I don't have right now unfortunately so someone else should try and tackle that question for now.

His name was Jimmy Olsen. Okay I realize he didn't really achieve that status until the 1950s. In the 40s, the creation of Superboy probably made a kid sidekick seem redundant.

His name was Jimmy Olsen. Okay I realize he didn't really achieve that status until the 1950s. In the 40s, the creation of Superboy probably made a kid sidekick seem redundant.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif aside from the fact that Superboy wasn't created until the late 40's versus all the other side-kick, your comment did remind me that while there was a Cpt Marvel Jr, the Big Red Cheese never had a side-kick either.

What about Krypto? Can any Superman scholars out there give us a first appearance?

He had Lois. I also think he didn't need one, he was such a Top Notch super hero.