• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All New Comics - Where's the Super-hero?

10 posts in this topic

I've been pretty much gearing my GA collection habits towards pre 1946 super-hero books. So I was quite excited to pick up All New Comics 9 and 10 from on online auction. Funny thing is when I attempt to read the books I found the characters featured on the front cover were no where in the book. Upon closer inspection I noticed a two page WRITTEN story telling the reader what the cover was all about. So basically its a Boy Heroes comic with a deceptive cover to, I guess, sell well on the news stands during the time frame.

(And by the way, why any comic would depict children running around Europe fighting Nazi's AND American military personnel a-okay with that is pretty darn funny. thumbsup2.gif )

Was covers like these a common practice of the era?

Not terribly uncommon for a GA book's contents to have little or nothing to do with its cool cover.

Sometimes, the cover artist may have had no knowledge of what the stories were going to be about. Other times, it was likely just as you say...a ploy by the publisher to get as many kids to plunk down their dimes as possible.

Not terribly uncommon for a GA book's contents to have little or nothing to do with its cool cover.

Not uncommon for any book's contents to have little or nothing to do with the cool cover. It's not just a GA thing.

Not uncommon for any book's contents to have little or nothing to do with the cool cover. It's not just a GA thing.

True. But this is the first instance I can recall where the character on the front page of the comic book wasn't even in the book. I do remember a few people mention something to that effect with Hulk books or other super-hero readers but at least the alter-ego was present in the pages. Just disappointing. Kind of a crummy way to start a GA super-hero collection. foreheadslap.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

True frown.gif and sorry to hear it, friend.

On the other hand, if you're looking to build a Schomburg superhero covers collection, you're still off to a great start. I really love those oddball 2nd-tier hero covers myself...

And by the way, why any comic would depict children running around Europe fighting Nazi's AND American military personnel a-okay with that is pretty darn funny.

Darn Fun -- there are quite a few of these, actually.

And by the way, why any comic would depict children running around Europe fighting Nazi's AND American military personnel a-okay with that is pretty darn funny.

Darn Fun -- there are quite a few of these, actually.

Boy Heroes, Boy Commandos, Commando Cubs - some things never change .

S2_4_Rights.jpg

Boy Heroes, Boy Commandos, Commando Cubs - some things never change .

S2_4_Rights.jpg

Have you read any excerpts from or reviews of "The Making, and Unmaking, of a Child Soldier" by Ishmael Beah. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Jack

nothing Funny about this Book