• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Painted OA

26 posts in this topic

Over here, in the UK, painted comic-strip art kicked-off from around 1950 - with the advent of EAGLE (which contained a variety of comic-strips and features in the mag). Using a printing process called 'photogravure', it was possible to reproduce directly from painted originals.

While modern-day Brits like Brian Bolland, Alan Davis and others are very popular with American audiences, UK artists of the 1950s and 60s remain largely unknown (due to the fact the work was intended for home audiences).

Ask a few of the British artists, currently big names in the US, and the home-grown (UK) influences that would have left their mark on them, would include people like Frank Bellamy, Frank Hampson and Ron Embleton.

We live in a color world . . . how can anyone not be impressed by painted original art, when created by artists with real talent?

Frank Bellamy MONTGOMERY OF ALEMEIN painted strip (Episode # 11):

2wphsaq.jpg

Hi,

First post here (been lurking for awhile). I'm a huge fan of painted OA (check out my gallery here: http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/gqfp8), especially Bob Larkin. I've got a few key Marvel pieces Bob's done in his illustrious career -- but I'm still waiting to get my first Alex Ross.

I found your post very enlightening in terms of the value of Ross' work -- because you're right, his rep puts sky-high prices on his work.

I'm curious about the covers to the Marvels series. Did he sell those too -- and if so, has anyone ever seen one of them back on the market? Also, remember that cool piece he did on the Wonder Twins? (OK, maybe not so cool for some of you) Has anyone seen that piece up for sale?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Mike

I've only really paid attention to his DC work, so someone else will have to chime in about Marvels.

HOWEVER, I was searching around for Ross art (this thread got me jonesing) -- Haven't found any Kingdom Come pages, but I did find this:

Alex Ross Terminator Page - $650

It's Alex Ross. It's painted. It's $650. It must be the page someone's looking for!? Anyway, Comiclink auctions has a comparable page for $3000, so I figured this one was a deal for someone wink.gif

Hi,

First post here (been lurking for awhile). I'm a huge fan of painted OA (check out my gallery here: http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/gqfp8), especially Bob Larkin. I've got a few key Marvel pieces Bob's done in his illustrious career -- but I'm still waiting to get my first Alex Ross.

I found your post very enlightening in terms of the value of Ross' work -- because you're right, his rep puts sky-high prices on his work.

I'm curious about the covers to the Marvels series. Did he sell those too -- and if so, has anyone ever seen one of them back on the market? Also, remember that cool piece he did on the Wonder Twins? (OK, maybe not so cool for some of you) Has anyone seen that piece up for sale?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Mike

Here's the cover to the MARVELS tpb:

http://www.virtualcomicartcon.com/0130.jpg

No Wonder Twins, but our own Comicartfan owns a Ross SUPER-FRIENDS piece:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=113722&GSub=16967

Enjoy!

Michael,

Nice to see you on here. - We've talked before via email (about the Ross SF cover)....

Ross stuff is really crazy money and I know that occassionally Burkey will put something of his up for sale...but other than that, and of course his rep Sal, I don't know where else to look...

Michael