• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Painted OA

26 posts in this topic

How does one go about purchasing a painted piece of OA? I collect Spiderman OA and would love to own something that was painted by the original artist.

When I search around I have only seen 1 page that was painted. Make sense?

Does it matter to you if it was published or no? If no, then it is easier to find.

BTW......I love painted pieces cloud9.gif and own about 10 of them.

I would always like published work, but am open to unpublished as well. I'm trying to stay away from comission pieces at this moment in time.

I have seen some painted stuff and it was just fantastic!!! I am trying hard to foucs my meager collection on Spiderman with a narrower focus on Spiderman with Hobgoblin.

I too have been looking for a nice painted piece (published).

I'd dearly love something by Alex Ross but 10,000 is out of my budget.

Someone on here or on the comicart-l got a wicked deal on a Hawkman page from Kingdom Come that the ebay seller at the time was really sketchy and in Europe somewhere so I avoided. Man that deal haunts me to this day as I would've easily paid more but was too chicken to bid. frown.gif

I too have been looking for a nice painted piece (published).

I'd dearly love something by Alex Ross but 10,000 is out of my budget.

Someone on here or on the comicart-l got a wicked deal on a Hawkman page from Kingdom Come that the ebay seller at the time was really sketchy and in Europe somewhere so I avoided. Man that deal haunts me to this day as I would've easily paid more but was too chicken to bid. frown.gif

Tis I! It was like $800 IIRC. But they were here in the US. (Oklahoma or Pennsylvania or something. I forget.) And only sketchy because they didn't know much about comic art. I feel like the page was a gift or something.

Ross art is fantastic, but you have to buy it on the aftermarket. The stuff is almost across the board worth less than 50% of the artist/rep asking price. Only the VERY best examples are worth anywhere near the ask price. Most everything else has been selling well below, and there are plenty of deals to be had. If you really want "anything" painted by Ross I recommend a Battle of the Planets or Terminator Burning Earth piece.

To discuss a step further, you don't see as much Ross art on the market because people have a lot of sunk cost into it. They bought the page when Ross was hot for, say, 10K. Now that same piece is worth less than half, so not many folks want to take the hit. And he's been producing new work at such a good clip, there's really no shortage of it. I would buy more if it were priced reasonably! I love both my KC Ross babies and am always on the lookout for more.

Just to rub it in, here's the aforementioned page! devil.gifdevil.gif

Kingdom Come Hawkman

OK, then I suggest you go after the ASM 261 cover, painted by Charles Vess!

(easier said than done...)

That Vess cover is awesome. It was hanging at the Comic Art Museum in SF last Halloween. It was great to see up close. I took a non comic friend to the museum and was able to open her eyes to how talented these artists are in this field.

Just to rub it in, here's the aforementioned page! devil.gifdevil.gif

Kingdom Come Hawkman

Ah it was someone in here. Thanks for reminding me. Hehe. I just spent the better part of 10 minutes ogling it. If you EVER decide to part with it please keep me in mind. angel.gif

I agree with your sentiments about Ross' art in that people have overpaid in the past and now won't sell it at a loss so not much of it gets out in the aftermarket. frown.gif

There are a ton of really nice Ross prelims and character studies floating around. Those are certainly more reasonable than the paintings.

Yep but I only collect published art so I restrict myself. Plus he's known for his painted art, not his pencil drawings. crazy.gif

There are a ton of really nice Ross prelims and character studies floating around. Those are certainly more reasonable than the paintings.

Yep but I only collect published art so I restrict myself. Plus he's known for his painted art, not his pencil drawings. crazy.gif

Additionally, it's REALLY worth saving up for something you WANT, rather than just a second choice prelim, that, while well rendered, really isn't worth the relatively big bucks you'd have to shell out for it. Because Ross has "the name" people who think they can't afford his painted work sometimes throw their money away on a lesser piece when they could just save up a bit, and bide their time till the right opportunity presents itself!

I know a couple people who have several KC pages who would love to sell them but just can't stomach losing thousands upon thousands per page. It's a shame Ross is so artificially high priced. He could have a really active and brisk market at more reasonable prices.

So basically you're restricting yourself to published, painted art...

...but you can't afford it.

confused.gif:

The reason Ross' stuff was priced so high was due to it selling at that price. Now the market has dropped and his collectors are left holding the bag if they thought they were going to sell those pieces down the road. I've been saying for years that Ross is a terrible investment due to his prolific nature. Everything hits the market. It's not like he lets out only a few pieces per year.

Bob Larkin Did a nice Spiderman painting once to a spidey TPB. It might be a little cheaper than the Vess Spidey covers and definitely cheaper than the Ross Painted covers. If you are going to NY You might try to commission Dell Otto to do a water color. Or you can go to splash Page art and buy a Paulo Rivera page they are all painted but they can get pricey.

So basically you're restricting yourself to published, painted art...

...but you can't afford it.

confused.gif:

Not at all. I think you're getting confused in this thread. Where did I say I can't afford it?

I can't afford 10k for a page but a couple k when the opportunity presents itself then sure I can afford that. I'm patient, a decent page will turn up eventually that I like and and it will be added to my collection. I don't need to have it right this minute.