• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Explanation for the newbie

10 posts in this topic

It would be most appreciated, if someone could provide an explanation on how the whole signature series process works. While I hope it doesn't lead to an addiction, I would like to have one in my collection. What are witnesses? What is the typical cost?

Thanks!

moderns are 32 per book. Witnesses are people authorized by CGC to obtain autographs for SS for customers and themselves. I am a witness send me a message with your desires and I will see if I can help.

Thanks. What if you had a SA or BA book that you were interested in having autographed?

http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/SignatureSeries.asp

Every year, hundreds of thousands of comic books and graphic novels are taken by fans to comic book and popular culture conventions around the world. They also tote their books to comic book stores and varied public events with just one goal in mind — to have their comics signed by their favorite creators.

Getting comic books signed by creators has been a part of our hobby since early fandom. But signature authentication is a tricky venture. Photographs and videotapes are fine methods, but are not foolproof. Certificates of Authenticity (COA), although accepted in our hobby, are definitely not foolproof either.

There have always been concerns surrounding signature authentication and verification. Now there is a solution!

Collectors can have their comic books and comic magazines signed by their favorite creators in the presence of an exclusive CGC authorized witness. These comics can then be authenticated, graded and certified by CGC under the prestigious CGC Signature Series label.

The prestigious CGC Signature Series label (yellow) is applied to comic books that have been signed by someone of significance to the comic, under the direct observation of a CGC employee or select CGC authorized witness. The signatures are then authenticated by CGC with the labels indicating who signed the book, the date it was signed, and in some cases the location of where it was signed.

After the comic book or comic magazine is signed in the presence of a CGC employee or CGC authorized witness, the book is immediately submitted to CGC for grading and encapsulation in CGC's patented, tamper-evident holder, to become a treasured part of your collection. When buying and selling comic books, the prestigious CGC Signature Series is the hobby's only 100% Authenticated Signature!

Frequently Asked Questions About CGC Signature Series

What if I get the book signed before submitting the book to CGC?

Unfortunately, if the signing is not witnessed by someone authorized by CGC, then the signature cannot be authenticated for the Signature Series label. Testimonials, photographs, and video recordings are not accepted.

What information goes on the label?

The name of the person(s) who signed the comic, the date it was signed, and in some cases the location, such as the name of the convention or store.

What signings are approved for Signature Series?

Most signings are prearranged. Any signing where a CGC witness is in attendance is eligible. This includes comic book conventions and public signings, such as ones at comic book stores.

How can I set up my own Signature Series signing?

If you are already a CGC Member Dealer, it may be easier then you think! Call CGC Customer Service at 1-877-NM-COMIC to find out today.

How do I get my book signed if I am not going to a convention?

CGC can set you up with a CGC-approved witness! Call CGC Customer Service at 1-877-NM-COMIC to find out today.

COSTS

These are the prices that CGC charges if you go to them at a show with a Signature Series request for a guest at that convention:

Moderns (post-1975 valued under $200) $27

Economy (pre-1975 valued under $250) $34

Standard (valued between $251 and $1000) $54

Express (valued between $1001 and $4000) $84

Walkthru (valued over $4001) $5 above 2.5% of fair market value.

Additional autographs, add $5 per signature, unless the creators are right next to one another, in which case there is no additional charge.

Return shipping charges are extra.

At a convention where CGC is doing modern on-site grading, such as Wizard World Los Angeles in March, then the cost is $34 + $5 for additional autographs.

Some Witnesses may charge additional costs above the prices listed above to cover the costs associated with travelling to conventions. Unless they are based in that specific city where the convention is held, they have to pay for flights, hotels, meals and so on.