• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Mag. size comic books

43 posts in this topic

Here's one I think you will like IT... Help! #22

th_help22.jpg

While not entirely a comics mag... I would argue this might actually be the 1st appearance of Fritz the Cat, which I believe to be wrongfully attributed to R Crumb's Comics and Stories (conceived in 1964 but not actually published until just after the aforementioned issue of Help!). There is so much to love about this book... edited by Kurtzman, Wonder WartHog appearance, plus Gallery cartoons by soon-to-be UG stars Skip Williamson and Jay Lynch. This mag has underground pre-cursor written all over it!

Good shout OM. thumbsup2.gif

The Conan mags fit this bill but an abundant supply of copies will keep these relatively cheap for many more years. Savage Tales #1 is a must have for the long term.

I would add that there is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMO) devoted to the Conan universe due out in October. It has been in development for years and is anticipated highly. http://www.ageofconan.com/

I don't know what impact this would have on collectibility of Conan but it will certainly expose a lot of young gamers to the character and his world.

Harris just sold the Vampirella franchise (an out-and-out sale, not a licensing deal) to horror mag publisher Fangoria, who will be publishing Vampirella under the "Fangoria Comics" banner.

I am a huge Vampi fan (I have a complete Warren run and a good portion of the Harris issues as well, along with a good chunk of original artwork), and I am hopeful this change will be for the better. I didn't like the direction Harris had taken Vampi and it really seemed like the franchise was dying a slow death under their stewardship. I don't know if Fangoria can reverse this decline, but I don't think they can do much worse.

Sadly, I am the youngest hard-core Vampi fan that I know (and I'm in my mid-30s)...I fear that it will take some kind of film or TV deal and some Herculean efforts by Fangoria to build a fanbase for the next generation... sorry.gif

Gene, I am in my mid-30s also. I wouldn't call myself a "hardcore" Vampi fan but I have about 80% of the Warren run done and intend to finish the full run on the Warren issues. If I ever had to liquidate my collection it is the second to last thing I would part with, leaving my Tecs for last. I don't have interest in the Harris issues.

My interest and attraction to the mags is actually the great cover art. In my mind, I kind of classify it along with GGA, sexy female covers etc., which I would like to collect in the GA down the road. I hope Vampi doesn't completely fall off the map because I think some of the magazines have fantastic art.