• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Mag. size comic books

43 posts in this topic

Thought I would try this for each forum and hope these become well received threads. I'm always looking for a good speculative investment. So here's a couple of my picks to start. (Hopefully your posts will be for more than just liking it, like a long running series or low print runs of quality stories.)

Of course Heavy Metal #1 seems too good of a buy at current prices.

Really enjoyed the beauty of this book with Richard Corben work: Fantagor #5 (Fantagor Presents Brood).

I personally think that all magazines are under-valued, including the popular titles like Vampirella and Savage Sword of Conan.

The subject matter of most magazines was usually much more mature than their comic sized counterparts and often times showcase some of the best work by artists such as Jusko, Wrightson, and Adams.

I personally think that all magazines are under-valued, including the popular titles like Vampirella and Savage Sword of Conan.

I just don't think there's enough interest in mags to keep prices high on these issues. I'm not buying like I once was (I completed my Vampi run), but it seems like sellers have had to lower prices on Vampi's to get them to move. A lot of the past price inflation I account for as very nice raw condition copies being speculated upon for CGC submission. Now that that furor has died down prices (IMO) are very soft as the number of mag collectors is much less than the number of CGC speculators. I think this applies to most other mags as well. That being said I. I can't really think of any mags I would call undervalued. I'd love to be wrong and if someone wants to counterpoint this please feel free (I'd jump for joy to be wrong!).

I'd agree with the argument that these larger format books are under appreciated rather than undervalued right across the board but feel that the significance and quality of certain books\runs is such that there is most definitely the potential for price rises over time.

Metal Hurlant, though, was a foreign publication, so there would naturally be even less interest in it, so it's got two 'black marks' against its value (the first being its magazine size).

For someone like me who grew up in the 70's, Heavy Metal still feels kind of like a 'recent' magazine, at least as compared to the Warren output, the Marvel mags, etc. So that might affect value amongst old-timers. Also, I think Heavy Metal came during a time when people knew to salt issues away w/ bags & boards, so there is a glut of high-grade issues to hold values down.

I just don't think there's enough interest in mags to keep prices high on these issues. I'm not buying like I once was (I completed my Vampi run), but it seems like sellers have had to lower prices on Vampi's to get them to move. A lot of the past price inflation I account for as very nice raw condition copies being speculated upon for CGC submission. Now that that furor has died down prices (IMO) are very soft as the number of mag collectors is much less than the number of CGC speculators. I think this applies to most other mags as well. That being said I. I can't really think of any mags I would call undervalued. I'd love to be wrong and if someone wants to counterpoint this please feel free (I'd jump for joy to be wrong!).

What about Skywalds? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The last time I looked at skywalds (6 months ago or so) prices had pretty well collapsed. I asked about it on this board and one of the members told me there had been a glut of skywalds from warehouse hoards released onto the market.

yeah, but I think that hit all at once like a year ago, I saw more auctions than usual for this stuff. but if you look now there aren't tons of them up. they're not going for big money either, though the shipping charges seem to be a lot, which turns a $5 auction win into a $10 magazine. I can get these for $10 or less in nice shape from my LCS when they get them, don't need to roll the dice on ebay.

whatever warehouse find occurred, there are vastly fewer of these than their warren counterparts. not that the warren books are commanding big bucks.

Though it's not a rare book, Creepy 1 is something that's a tad undervalued, I think. not in guide, but in actual sales prices.

3 mags that I think are way undervalued:

Spirit World

In the Days of the Mob

Elfquest

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Good choices and I'm with you on the two Kirby books. The Elfquest though...............I don't know. confused-smiley-013.gif

Spirit World

In the Days of the Mob

Elfquest

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Good choices and I'm with you on the two Kirby books. The Elfquest though...............I don't know. confused-smiley-013.gif

Being a big Wendy Pini fan could mean that I am slightly biased...however....the Elfquest books were really populer back in the day with the Fantasy resurgance in full swing...Come to think of it....methinks Wendy Pini is underrated as well... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Spirit World

In the Days of the Mob

Elfquest

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Back before ebay, I searched forever to find the Spirit World mag. Interesting mag.

sw1.jpg

Is the Spirit World mag fully illustrated or is it an amalgam of text-n-strips?

It's fully illustrated panel style. Mixture of illustrations & the photo montage stuff Kirby use to do. It was printed in blue ink, kind of like a blue sepia tone effect. Very odd book.

Mark

I would also add the following Warren mail-away books:

The Vampirella Special HC and soft cover version

The Spirit Special

The Vampi HC definitely. Probably far less than 250 in existance. I wont repeat it's history to avoid being a stuck record.