• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRE 2010: SIGNATURE SERIES: QUESTIONS & ANSWERS THREAD

288 posts in this topic

I have a comic signed by the author without signature series proof. At an upcoming con, I have the opportunity to have the same book signed by the artist with a CGC rep overseeing.

If this book where to be sent off for SS grading, would it get the SS label or the qualified label with some notes?

It all depends on where the author signed the book at the first unwitnessed (by CGC) signing.

Interior - yes, it would qualify for SS with writing on the interior.

Exterior - qualified.

Ok. Would the Qualified label still be able to state the fact that the artist's signature was witnessed and verified?

Or could it be a SS label, stating the artist's sig was witnessed, but there is writting on the cover (the author's sig)?

A quick check with Paul and I'm going to revise my earlier answer.

Based on current CGC policy, the book would get the SS label and the label notes would read:

Signed by *** **** on **** ***, 2007, name "*** ****" written in **** on cover.

The grade of the book would be affected (downgraded) by the presence of writing on the cover from the unwitnessed, unverified signature.

I realize that it might be impossible to accurately gauge, but just how downgraded would a book get? If the only 'drawback' is the unwitnessed sig, how much does that effect the grade? I am sure you can guess that I am a complete newbie in terms of grading, although I am a long time collector.

I do thank you for your help and answers thus far.

Bit of a follow up question then.

If I wanted to get a comic signed as per SS rules by 2 different creators that are at 2different conventions, what would I need to do? Get the first one viewed and signed, slabbed and graded, and then at the next con, get it cracked by a CGC rep, viewed and signed by the next creator, then slabbed and graded again?

I realize that it might be impossible to accurately gauge, but just how downgraded would a book get? If the only 'drawback' is the unwitnessed sig, how much does that effect the grade? I am sure you can guess that I am a complete newbie in terms of grading, although I am a long time collector.

I'll have to check on this, but writing on the cover might take an otherwise NM book down to a 7.0 or lower.

Bit of a follow up question then.

If I wanted to get a comic signed as per SS rules by 2 different creators that are at 2 different conventions, what would I need to do? Get the first one viewed and signed, slabbed and graded, and then at the next con, get it cracked by a CGC rep, viewed and signed by the next creator, then slabbed and graded again?

Yes. If, say, you were to submit the book at the CGC booth at one show, the book would be mailed back to you. Then you would have to bring it to the other event the second creator is signing at, and we would crack the book out, get the book signed and then resubmit and mail it back to you. You would have to pay the $27 (if it's a modern) price TWICE.

OR you can make arrangements with an authorized CGC Witness to get both signatures for you - and they will hold your book between the two signing events. They are allowed to do that for short intervals and they will likely charge you for the additional effort in obtaining two signatures on your behalf.

I'll have to check on this, but writing on the cover might take an otherwise NM book down to a 7.0 or lower.

That sounds a little off. I just found multiple ebay auctions for a Qualified 9.6 comic with a signature on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-1-Signed-CGC-9-6...1QQcmdZViewItem

That sounds a little off. I just found multiple ebay auctions for a Qualified 9.6 comic with a signature on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-1-Signed-CGC-9-6...1QQcmdZViewItem

He is saying that the first sig (unverified by a CGC sig witness will be noted as a defect and lower the grade while the new Sig will be verified and the book will be allowed to have a yellow SS label. You won't be able to get a qualified grade and have the 2nd sig verified at the same time.

Thanks Mephisto.

Qualified (green label) is essentially saying this book looks like a (for example) 9.6 BUT it has writing on it (an unverified signature). It is graded as if the defect (writing) wasn't there.

A Universal label (blue label) is an "as is" graded comic, and writing would count as a defect. Writing on the cover has a larger effect on the grade than writing on the interior.

Signature Series is essentially saying this book looks like a (for example) 9.6 BUT it has a verified autograph on it. It is graded as if the verified autograph wasn't there.

Qualified and Signature Series, while similar in concept, cannot be "married" on the same label, as vgorgol is suggesting.

What CGC is saying is that in the scenario vgorgol is suggesting, they will grade the book "as is" for the unverified signature (as if it were for the Universal grade), counting the exterior writing as a defect. The second verified signature will allow it receive the Signature Series label and will not affect the grade further.

Ah. I think I get it now.

So basically, it really doesn't pay to get a Signature Series submission for a book signed outside those guidelines then.

So, if a book comes in with a unwitnessed signature on it, do you grade Universal or Qualified? Can a submitter request which they prefer?

It's probably going to depend on the condition of the book. If it's a 9.8 without the signature it would probably be given a qualified. If it's a 6.0 wihtout the signature it would probably be given a universal label.

With Qualified v. Universal it does depend on the overall condition and age of the book in question. Based on experience, a high grade modern with a signature, such as a DF book, will usually get a Qualified grade, while a silver age Marvel with, say, "Romita" on it will usually get the universal grade.

Perhaps Paul could answer this one for us on when and where they make the cut off, and whether or not the customer can request in advance Qualifed v. Universal.

More questions.. =)

-When I arrive at WW Philly and go the cgc booth will I drop off the comics I would like to have signed and graded under the yellow label? Or how does it work, do you plan when to have the signing done, book a time?

-Will I know if the artists I would like to sign are available? For example I read that Quesada does very few signings at these shows.. Is that right?

-How early do you need to arrive at these cons? Never been to one before.

-Do you get a big advantage if you get the witness vouchers you can buy at Wizards homepage?

thank you -T

-When I arrive at WW Philly and go the cgc booth will I drop off the comics I would like to have signed and graded under the yellow label?

>> Yes, the sooner the better.

- Or how does it work, do you plan when to have the signing done, book a time?

>> Usually I coordinate with the CGC Witnesses, as well Wizard and the Hero Intitiative. I try to do all of the books for specific guests at one time.

-Will I know if the artists I would like to sign are available? For example I read that Quesada does very few signings at these shows.. Is that right?

>> If they are listed as convention guests, and they have not cancelled, we will work on getting them signed over the weekend (usually by Saturday night for on-site grading). If we can't get them signed we return them and make sure you aren't charged (for credit card payment) or give you your money back. At certain shows (Wizard, Paradise) the convention staff actually work with us to get the books done, even if the signings are limited.

-How early do you need to arrive at these cons? Never been to one before.

>> Whatever your schedule will permit, and what your tolerance for standing in line is like.

-Do you get a big advantage if you get the witness vouchers you can buy at Wizards homepage?

>> The advantage of the Witness vouchers are that they will walk with you to the front of the line where you get your own books signed. Then you walk over to CGC and submit them with me. If meeting the creators is an important part of the process for you then the voucher is your "front of the line" ticket. Plus, you know the book will get done.