• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRE 2010: SIGNATURE SERIES: QUESTIONS & ANSWERS THREAD

288 posts in this topic

With the increase of attention on the yellow label and frequent questions asked by fellow board members this thread is a permanent source of information on CGC Signature Series policies, and responses to questions that are answered by those that make the policies and are better suited to answer anything about Signature Series in detail.

All questions are to be answered by Kevin Boyd (director of Signature Series for a reason) and/or by CGC Vice-President Paul Litch (who is in charge of SS).

What if you have a signature that WASN'T witnessed by CGC witnesses, but the Artist in question VERIFIES it's his sig in front of CGC witneses...could it be submitted as SS then? Who knows his own sig better than an artist? Just curious is all...

Unfortunately CGC could not accept the book for the Yellow Label. The policy is clearly stated that the book must be signed in front of someone from CGC, or authorized by CGC to Witness signatures.

Testimonials (written or oral, even from creators), photographs, and even video recordings are not accepted as proof for signature verification.

Thanks,

Kevin

Or any non-existing policy we wish to come up with on the spur of the moment. Like the new: "Only Witnesses wearing ONE RED SHOE will be allowed to witness at the NYCC"

I'm kidding, Kris.

You mean about the wearing shoes part, right? "Walk softly and carry a big sharpie" is the motto for the SS crest for the Witness blazer... oh yeah, forgot to mention the blazer. Hope that's okay... I'm not even going to mention the SS Witness kilt and tartan socks... oops!

Sorry guys...

Kev

Under no circumstances would a CGC Authorized Witness or Employee agree to accept the book for Signature Series if they saw that happen.

You could get a creator to trace over his signature if you want, but someone still had to Witness that original signing to make it eligible for Signature Series.

Thanks,

Kevin

Just making sure...

What if it was officially witnessed on the front cover but was signed on the inside front cover?

Would it then be Yellow label for the front cover with a notation "SO and SO signed in ink on inside front cover?"

And when will Stan Lee be available at a convention?

Thanks!

>What if it was officially witnessed on the front cover but was signed on the inside front cover?

If the book was signed on the inside, then yes, the new signature on the cover that is witnessed would be eligible for SS in most cases. HOWEVER, as I understand it, the writing inside the book would be considered a defect.

>Would it then be Yellow label for the front cover with a notation "SO and SO signed in ink on inside front cover?"

No. It would be yellow label with the notation: "Signed by so-and-so on X/X/2007, name written on first page in ink. I've seen it two ways on the label... for example, if the creator was John Byrne, "name written on first page in ink" or "name 'John Byrne' written on first page in ink.

> And when will Stan Lee be available at a convention?

Stan Lee will be at the New York Comic Con in February. Signing times have not, to my knowledge, been announced yet.

Stan usually makes an appearance at San Diego Comic Con International in July.

Stan is doing a private signing for Signature Series in March, the day after Wizard World Los Angeles.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Is anyone witnessing for Stan Lee? If so, shoot me a PM.

I have a Captain America #100 signed by Jack Kirby on the inside front cover that I'd like with a Stan Lee signature. (Hence my question.)

Regarding interior sigs....does CGC take a picture or scan of the sig in question and if so is it available to the public?

(thumbs u

Here's another question: Sometimes I noticed a sig is done on a book but it is not noted what the signer did on the book (ie inker, editor, etc)...why is this? And am not talking about books that the signer did nothing on, although if they still had a link to the book (ie was the original creator of the character) it would be nice to have it noted what that link was.

The signature information line doesn't contain any information about the creator's role on the book. It just contains the Name, date and location (and sometimes the convention name or store name).

As I understand it, the information on the creator's role is the same information that would be printed out if the book was a Universal label, to the left of the bar code on the label. The completeness of credit information depends on what has been entered into CGC's database before the label gets printed. I know they strive for completeness, but sometimes ommissions occur.

Space is also an issue. Obviously the central creative team is of importance, writer, artist, inker. Colorists and editors get mentioned if there is space. Editor-in-chief, rarely.

Question... which you've probably been asked before,... but not by me !?

I'm mad on SS books and now have quite a few signed by different people, however this week I received a book with a print error on the yellow label (first time)

Book states "Signed.........Wizard World Los Angels, not Los Angeles

Significance, any?

Because I know these errors are rare, does it make the book rarer - with the obvious collecting and financial implications (well.... I am a collector!!)

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Cheers,

Phil

Just as long as you are mad ON SS books, not mad AT SS books.

Unfortunately data entry errors occur from time to time, and usually these are caught by Quality Control, but from time to time one slips thru, like this one. I don't see any real significance except someone forgot to type an "e".

I don't see how these would be more collectible, but if that floats your boat... (shrug)