• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OO collection and the "L"

28 posts in this topic

There is that large group of GA being touted as original owner up on ebay right now, and most have a cursive L on the front. I bought a Detective #85 from Metro in November with the same L. So , did some books leak out from the collection? Was the L put there on purpose by someone recently, Was it a distributor code, or is this not an OO collection? It would seem my book has similar page qualities to these others, so I am thinking it is from the same source. Any thoughts?

My Book

1507557-tec85.jpg

Examples from seller godiva1218

f084_3.JPG

227b_3.JPG

I've seen a lot of books over time with a L on them and I wondered at first if they were Larson's and then I wondered if someone was trying to make people feel like they were Larsons. Other than that, I don't know. But they've been around.

My first thought was that it was pu there to fool people about Larson back in the day, but I don't think thats the case. I am leaning towards distributor mark, but who knows. It would be great to figure out where the books originated. Somebody must know where the L mark was used.

My first thought was that it was pu there to fool people about Larson back in the day, but I don't think thats the case. I am leaning towards distributor mark, but who knows. It would be great to figure out where the books originated. Somebody must know where the L mark was used.

Books with an L on the cover have turned up from countless collections from all over the country. I do not think they originated from a single source.

S

confused.gif What's so confusing? As a collector the last thing I would want to do is soil my books by writiing on them, especially my high grade copies. It just contradicts the mentality of trying to preserve them in great condition. Would you even think of writing on your books? Actually I can't think of one person on these boards who does so why the foreheadslap.gif

I've seen a lot of books over time with a L on them and I wondered at first if they were Larson's and then I wondered if someone was trying to make people feel like they were Larsons. Other than that, I don't know. But they've been around.

Larsons don't have an initial "L". They either say "Lamont", "Larson", or have a numeric code.

confused.gif What's so confusing? As a collector the last thing I would want to do is soil my books by writiing on them, especially my high grade copies. It just contradicts the mentality of trying to preserve them in great condition. Would you even think of writing on your books? Actually I can't think of one person on these boards who does so why the foreheadslap.gif

I Thought you were saying, if you bought these books today, you'd erase the markings. I would imagine the people who wrote their names on things when they bought them either took great pride in ownership, and putting their name on them was like a rite of ownership, or they were compulsive, or fearful of theft? Who Knows. I never wrote names on my comics as a kid, but I did in my paperbacks... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm bidding on more than a few of this guys books but it just occured to me there's something, well, not fishy per se, but odd about the listings.

I don't think this is a comic person because most of the listings from this "original owner" collection say "Untouched in 50 years". Yet many of the books are CGC'd. Oversight? Probably. Hopefully. Erm... I guess that's why PayPal insures purchases...

He just posted a Suspense #3. It's a 1.5, but a VERY presentable 1.5. cloud9.gif

It would be nice to know who's currently bidding on this book....I hate this cloaking of bidders policy.

I KNOW! I mean, wouldn't you want to know ahead of time if bidding was futile? There're certain bidders that if you're up against them, forget it. I'd like to know not to waste my time. It drives up the prices for sellers in theory but it hides shills.