• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Framing comics...

11 posts in this topic

I don't know a whole lot about grading but I am into comics. I have a few issues that I really like the covers on and I want to put them in a simple frame and hang them. My only question is that since I would just be buying a simple 8 1/2 X 11 frame and putting the comic in their, is it going to effect it at all from being pressed? I mean, since the frame is only designed for a peice of paper I'm assuming it presses on the comic quite a bit. I actually plan on leaving the comic in the sleeve since the backing will just be a solid black peice of construction paper. Lemme know your thoughts guys....

There are holders that are made to hang on a wall and protect the comic.

It's a nice thick frame and looks great on the wall.

I have a one and it's held the same book in it for the past 8 years or so without any problems.

I have no idea who makes them, but one of the other forum members may know.

Wow....fast responses, never used forum here before smile.gif Anyways, thanks for the help but you didnt' really answer my question, lol. The way I'm doing it only cost me about $1 total since I just bought a cheap frame. It's not a real valuable comic or anything and it probably won't stay up real long before I would put a different one up, they aren't in direct sunlight or anything either, although if I like it enough I might put up some of my better ones just to show em off if I like the way it looks enough. Since all I have right now is modern comics anyways it's only $16 to get cgc graded (right?). So if I need to spend more than like $5 I mine as well just get it graded and find a way to put the cgc holder on the wall smirk.gif

Hmmm.....well, I guess it would depend on the thickness of the comic and the particular frame you're going to be using. If it's just a regular thickness book (not a thicker comic)......then it may not be too big of a deal. But I wouldn't try it with books worth any money. Also, I'm not sure how comic covers react to (glass? supplied in cheaper frames) when pressed directly up against it for any period of time. I imagine this, combined with any variations in temerature and humidity might not be a good combination. You might want to try if for a while with a cheapie book and see how it does. But I'd be careful, since you're just improvising and not going with a framing system designed for this purpose. Hope that helps.

Yeah, that does kidna help. I'm keeping the comic in it's sleeve when I frame it so it's not pressed on the glass anyways. I guess my biggest concerns are that it's going to split the spine and or press the pages so that the cover doesn't line up exactly, ya know...so that you can see the pages around the edges on some sides. Or mabye I dunno what I'm talking about, lol, like I said I don't know much of anything about grading.

Maybe you can find some cheapo thicker frames that will allow for "matting" material (which shouldn't cost much). I don't know how familiar you are with framing supplies......but "mats" are the material that is used to decorate items in a frame. In the picture below, there is a white mat with a little larger than comic sized cutout which is laying directly against the glass. Then, there is a black mat with a cutout the same size as the comic behind it. Finally, there is the comic itself that rests in the "dead space" created by the matting.......so it's not being squished up against the glass at all.

My suggestion would be to get a piece of thick matting........cut a hole in it that would allow your comic to fit into the cutout portion of it. Then, when you frame it......the matting will take most of the pressure off of the comic so it won't get smashed as much. Just a suggestion that may work.

Fr106C.jpg

cool, good idea, I can probably just put matting the frames I have, since they are cheap ones the backing is just cardboard pretty much. I'll hopefully get somewhere tommorow to pick up some matting of some type and I'll post and let you know how it works out. I'd post a pick of the one I got now but my scanner isn't that great :| always get little white specks no matter how much or how I clean the glass.....sigh But yeah, I think it would be cool decoration for a house to have up some of my favorite covers. Looking at Uncanny X-men 290 right now, mabye it's just me but I absolutely love the cover on this issue. I'd post a picture of it but well...see above tongue.gif

If I may suggest.....if the idea is to show off the covers without harming the books, just rip off the cover - - -wait - -thats not right!

I suggest you just scan the cover, make a nice color print and frame that. That way people see th egreat cover image and your book remains in good condition, safe from UV rays and other potential damage. If they want to then see the actual book, tak eit out in th eslab and show it to them.