• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1 on Ebay.....seller claims "great shape"

30 posts in this topic

That might be the most beat up Famous First Edition I've ever seen.

Famous First?....do tell

Yep, look at the blue coloring along the top of the Superman logo and compare it to the real deal.

That might be the most beat up Famous First Edition I've ever seen.

Famous First?....do tell

Yep, look at the blue coloring along the top of the Superman logo and compare it to the real deal.

ah ha! I have never owned either book, so did not know to look for coloring variations. Wow....I started a thread about a key that is really a $10 reprint....almost embarassing tongue.gif

wow...thanks for pointing that quickly...I took out my Famous 1st edition copy and it looks exactly like that! wonder if the seller knows or he is just trying to scam someone?

Well, he didn't want to risk sending it to CGC... so that screams, "I'm gonna take your money!" 27_laughing.gif

Also another thing to note I believe that is different from the original is that the original back cover has black dotted lines running down the spot. WHen I saw this book, it didn't have any. I also thought that the coloring was a little too bright. With those assumptions, I have concluded that it is a reprint..

The seller does mention that he has some other "key"/"expensive" books in his safety deposit box. I wonder what other reprints he has?

That's sooooo bad. If I was a less honest person, I'd go and buy a bunch of reprints, roll them around in the snow a bit, and then EBay them.

But, I'm a better guy than that. Shame, really. 27_laughing.gif

I hate sellers that do this. He knows. He's bound to. They ALWAYS know.

I know its a famous 1st instantly because a Famous first has very high cover gloss shine that a real Supes does not have..However that very high cover gloss is the best immmeadiate indication.Also Famous First cover is much much thinner paper than a real Superman #1. Thin paper folds, rolls and creases differently than thicker paper. This is also a sure way to judge.Another indication of a fake is that the scammer will always show the famous first Edition with NO POINT OF REFERENCE in the picture.The fake will always be in the picture by itself with no holder, sleeve or anything. This will throw off your perception to realize that it is OVERSIZED[the fake] some 13x10 I think. Famous 1st are Never in a holder or bag or anything. There always shown to you completely unprotected and raw and with nothing but the rug it sits on to fool you into misjudging its size.

Please remember all this new guys.