• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you guys noticed the "burst" of GA keys available now??

21 posts in this topic

I guess the Holidays are over, and it's back to business!

Action 1 and All-Star 8 on Comic Link, Suspense 3 and Batman 1 on Ebay, 3 Tec 27's on Metro's website, including a CGC graded unrestored 6.0 .........

There's some fine pickins' out there right now! acclaim.gif

What else have you guys seen that I might not have listed? confused-smiley-013.gif

I does seam to rich, a plethera if you will. I can say, that all of Captain America books, KEYS for me that I haven't seen in 6-12 months that I need, have gone fast and for double to triple book. I am used to double but it hurts at triple when you don't win.

I've been privately offered quite a few GA keys recently as well. Supports the premise of some of us that it is very clear that there are significantly (far? a lot?) more copies out there, even of the major keys, than we know.

It will be very interesting to see how the influx of new copies ultimately impacts market price, whether to initially drive it up with record sales but then possibly either flatten out or even decrease with the flow.

One of the primary concerns I have with pressing is that the method will artificially increase the number of higher grade copies and possibly hurt the market in the process.

Time will tell for all. Just hope I time my purchases and sales right!

I've been privately offered quite a few GA keys recently as well. Supports the premise of some of us that it is very clear that there are significantly (far? a lot?) more copies out there, even of the major keys, than we know.

It will be very interesting to see how the influx of new copies ultimately impacts market price, whether to initially drive it up with record sales but then possibly either flatten out or even decrease with the flow.

One of the primary concerns I have with pressing is that the method will artificially increase the number of higher grade copies and possibly hurt the market in the process.

Care to share what keys 893scratchchin-thumb.gif A private PM IS always acceptable.

Mark,

Though I have used the "existing copies estimated" quotes as much as anyone, I've generally tried to qualify it with a remark that there "may be more" because I always believed there almost certainly are more. But over the years I've also been surprised that a big revelation of copies and a subsequent adjustment in thoise estimates has not become unavoidable. In some cases, we know there are just a few because they were undistributed or were made for special purposes (like ashcans), but those really are speciality items. When it comes to proper comics that were on a newsstand or distributed in some way it is hard to say there are only so many.

As to the market being depressed by lack of high grade issues, I think the golden age market has actually been hurt by the fact there are so few high grade examples and in some cases no examples in near mint that meet the same standards as a modern near mint.

It is crazy and counter0intuitive (which may be repteitive) but the rarity of high grade golden age books is one of the biggest factors in keeping the prices down across the board from what they should be.,

I've seen and heard numerous dealers pushing high grade as "the only way" to buy comics -- and that only a near mint comic is an "investment grade" comic. Which is clearly meant to imply hat if you buy anything less than high grade you should consider it something only to read and should never expect to be able to sell it for more. I heard that mostly from people who deal only in high grade and especially from people who deal only in the more modern books -- which are far more easy to obtain in near mint.

Look at how hard it is to find a copy of spider-man #1 in near mint. Not at all hard. And how hard is it to sell in near mint for more than guide. Not at all hard.

You'd think that would mean sales in low grade ASM's would plummet. Well, how hard is it to sell a low grade spider-man one for guide or more? Again, not at all. And how hard is it to sell a restored spider-man 1 for a decent price? Not at all.

That's not just because spider-man is at the moment bigger even than superman or batman. It's also because there are more high grade copies available. People hear about the high grade sales and say they can't afford them so they go for the lower grades "just to have one."

If there were several copies available in the coming year of Supeman 1, there would be several spectaculat sales.

I should say I do not think any of the above necessarily applies to books that are not well-known outside the hobby. The books that people don't really kinow about or have interest in until after they have collected comics for some time would be hurt the most by the revelation of significantly more copies out there.

But overall I think that, too, is even less dangerous to the value of biooks than the fact that the overstreet guide has steadfastly failed to reflect the market. With prices increasing by multiples iun the past years, we've seen the overstreet guide taling about the price increases in their market report -- only to show the same book increasing in single digits -- very often in very low single digits. And in some case absolutely zero percent. And we're talking about the same key and famously key books like action 1, archie 1, amazing fantasy 15 (.and that's just in the "A"s)

I think the way the hobby approahces restoration as if it were thought-crime is also problematic. I have seen a couple reporters do stories on comics and when they talk about the attitudes toward restoration it often comes off, I am telling you, as not just a cavrat for buying but also as subtle watrning that people can be crazy in this hobby.

But that aside for the moment, I think the biggest danger of all -- I must repeat -- is the overstreet guide. There is somply no way that people who get into the hobby hearing that prices are going up witlll be happy when they check that book and see their comics have gone up barely or not at all.

And they will tell their friends that buying comics is a bad use of your money:

If it were true that comics were stagnating that would be just the way it is. But that's not the way it is. Why the bloddy F-ing hell does the guide insist on reporting things as it knows they aren't????

Answering both previous replies.

My point was not that I feel I need the guide to be correct in choosing the right price to pay for something.

Point is that it's consistently wrong information and that causes all kinds of problems. If you want to say don't use it or I don't use it, fine.

But why say it doesn't matter that it's wrong?

Why say it's only me saying the guide is wrong in the same breath you agree it's wrong? And when other people on the boards say it's wrong?

The "stop talking about it" argument would never fly if I said hey isn't it a shame that people restore books and don't disclose it?

Why tell me , essentially, you want me to stop talking about the guide being wrong even when it's in response to a question about things that may be wrong?

Should we not respond to the question?

ISince none of that makes sense it's fair to ask,"is it simply that you like the guide being wtrong?"

I want to here what you have to say. I may not always agree with it but ill defend with my life your right to say it . Well, I wouldnt go that far.... I got that line from Frank Lorenzo in an All in the family Episode. Its somewhat applicable here.

of course you can talk about the Guide. But to say it in anger or surprise is so old hat is all. Bob has always lagged the market and yet is a benchmark Guide to pricing for many many books. But, cmon, it comes out annually and is subject to the info that is sent in to them. Take it with a grain of salt.

But if you want to complain about whats wrong in our hobby, feel free! I dunno what to say.

Honestly, I dont even look at the book when buying key books. Im tuned in to the market prices actually happening . Its especially easy when your focusing only on 20 or so books only as I do.

I do have to hand it to you Peter....there is NO ONE on these Boards that knows more about the 1st 20 issues of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles than you poke2.gifinsane.gif

Mark,

Though I have used the "existing copies estimated" quotes as much as anyone, I've generally tried to qualify it with a remark that there "may be more" because I always believed there almost certainly are more. But over the years I've also been surprised that a big revelation of copies and a subsequent adjustment in thoise estimates has not become unavoidable. In some cases, we know there are just a few because they were undistributed or were made for special purposes (like ashcans), but those really are speciality items. When it comes to proper comics that were on a newsstand or distributed in some way it is hard to say there are only so many.

As to the market being depressed by lack of high grade issues, I think the golden age market has actually been hurt by the fact there are so few high grade examples and in some cases no examples in near mint that meet the same standards as a modern near mint.

It is crazy and counter0intuitive (which may be repteitive) but the rarity of high grade golden age books is one of the biggest factors in keeping the prices down across the board from what they should be.,

I've seen and heard numerous dealers pushing high grade as "the only way" to buy comics -- and that only a near mint comic is an "investment grade" comic. Which is clearly meant to imply hat if you buy anything less than high grade you should consider it something only to read and should never expect to be able to sell it for more. I heard that mostly from people who deal only in high grade and especially from people who deal only in the more modern books -- which are far more easy to obtain in near mint.

Look at how hard it is to find a copy of spider-man #1 in near mint. Not at all hard. And how hard is it to sell in near mint for more than guide. Not at all hard.

You'd think that would mean sales in low grade ASM's would plummet. Well, how hard is it to sell a low grade spider-man one for guide or more? Again, not at all. And how hard is it to sell a restored spider-man 1 for a decent price? Not at all.

That's not just because spider-man is at the moment bigger even than superman or batman. It's also because there are more high grade copies available. People hear about the high grade sales and say they can't afford them so they go for the lower grades "just to have one."

If there were several copies available in the coming year of Supeman 1, there would be several spectaculat sales.

I should say I do not think any of the above necessarily applies to books that are not well-known outside the hobby. The books that people don't really kinow about or have interest in until after they have collected comics for some time would be hurt the most by the revelation of significantly more copies out there.

But overall I think that, too, is even less dangerous to the value of biooks than the fact that the overstreet guide has steadfastly failed to reflect the market. With prices increasing by multiples iun the past years, we've seen the overstreet guide taling about the price increases in their market report -- only to show the same book increasing in single digits -- very often in very low single digits. And in some case absolutely zero percent. And we're talking about the same key and famously key books like action 1, archie 1, amazing fantasy 15 (.and that's just in the "A"s)

I think the way the hobby approahces restoration as if it were thought-crime is also problematic. I have seen a couple reporters do stories on comics and when they talk about the attitudes toward restoration it often comes off, I am telling you, as not just a cavrat for buying but also as subtle watrning that people can be crazy in this hobby.

But that aside for the moment, I think the biggest danger of all -- I must repeat -- is the overstreet guide. There is somply no way that people who get into the hobby hearing that prices are going up witlll be happy when they check that book and see their comics have gone up barely or not at all.

And they will tell their friends that buying comics is a bad use of your money:

If it were true that comics were stagnating that would be just the way it is. But that's not the way it is. Why the bloddy F-ing hell does the guide insist on reporting things as it knows they aren't????

If i can distill your thoughts as to pricing this would be my observation. Prices may rise "dramatically" or solidly for hardcore GA in high grade . Of course, since there are so few, very few are affected, thus "price change" is more illusory than real. The vast population of mid grade books when you "back up" pricing to Fine or VG+, show little or negligible rise. Even check out Timelys. So if only mid-grade are available and those move, but show "little increase", it can never be viewed as an investment.

In my view early GA 1937-1942, suffers from this problem and does not truly reflect GA moods, where people may actually collect "the books " as opposed to SA, where many, collect "condition"

Honestly, I dont even look at the book when buying key books. Im tuned in to the market prices actually happening . Its especially easy when your focusing only on 20 or so books only as I do.

I do have to hand it to you Peter....there is NO ONE on these Boards that knows more about the 1st 20 issues of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles than you poke2.gifinsane.gif

Well the run isnt exactly "The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck"

want to here what you have to say. I may not always agree with it but ill defend with my life your right to say it . Well, I wouldnt go that far.... I got that line from Frank Lorenzo in an All in the family Episode. Its somewhat applicable here.

Voltaire probably stole the line from Lorenzo.