• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefield Returns to Marvel Comics!

21 posts in this topic

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4638

LIEFELD COVERS DEADPOOL/CABLE

Along with the mugs of the two lead characters, this fall’s Deadpool/cable series written by Fabian Nicieza with art by Mark Brooks will have one more familiar face attached, appropriately: Newsarama has learned that Rob Liefeld will draw the covers for the series.

According to Liefeld, the idea of landing him as the series’ cover artist was instigated through Marvel. I wouldn't know who to call up there even if it occurred to me to do so,” Liefeld said. “I was shocked as anyone else would be when an e-mail from Marc Sumerak showed up on my account asking me if I wanted to draw some covers. I felt a little hesitation initially, mostly because I felt that it was likely a practical joke. After I received their new vouchers it sort of hit me that it was real.”

While he is signed on for covers for the series, Liefeld says it a “see as we go” deal, but he is working on roughing out the first few covers for the series. For Liefeld, coming back to the characters of Deadpool and Cable, even in this tangential way, is something that he always likes to do, anytime the offer is made.

”I designed, conceived and named both of the characters waaay back when I took over New Mutants, and these two characters literally transformed my life,” Liefeld said. “So, obviously I have more than just a soft spot for them. It's really a no-brainer when it comes to the enjoyment I get out of drawing any characters I helped bring to life, especially Cable and Deadpool.”

The return to the characters under their original names is irony-free for Liefeld, despite the rumors that swirled when Marvel changed their names to Agent X and Soldier X in order not to pay him royalties. His view of the entire name-change and return is almost Zen-like in a way.

”I don't see the irony as much as others will, I always figured I'd get another crack at them,” Liefeld said. “I just didn't expect it to be so soon. I'll always feel honored at being asked to draw anything, I'm not over examining it too much. It's great that Fabian is writing the books, too - that makes it even more fun. The royalties issue was never a real concern, I wasn't receiving royalties for a few years before they were rebooted. But it was a pretty good rumor...”

And while Nicieza didn’t offer any teases as to what “edition” of Deadpool will be appearing in the story, Liefeld explained what he’s been asked to draw: “Classic Deadpool, absolutely,” Liefeld said. “Cable I'm playing around with a bit, he might end up more classic but I'm trying to honor some of his modern look. The characters should convey motion, action and energy and that's what I hope to accomplish.”

Liefeld said that, while he may be tempted, for now, he wouldn’t be venturing beyond the covers of the book. “I don't have any time for anything but covers right now,” Liefeld said. “It's just cover work.”

Uggghhh, is it just me or is there anybody cannot stand Liefeld. His art is boring, he copies from other comics, uses altered stock poses for everything and personifies everything that has been bad about comics- too many variant covers, late shipping, Image style art, portrayal of women, concentrating on art instead of story writing etc.. As an artist and writer, he has never grasped the elements of anatomy ( look at his characters arms, he cannot draw wrists so they always have their wrists covered and take a look at the Captain America below), character positioning/perspective, or storytelling. If I see one more character that looks like Cable in a different costume, I am going to puke. Does he even have any friends left in the business - Todd McFarlane, Jim Valentino, Marc Silvestri, Whilce Portacio, Erik Larsen , and Mark Busiek certainly do not have him on thier speed dial. My advice to Marvel, stay away from Liefeld - there is enough [!@#%^&^] that Marvel is putting out now anyway.

Here is some of his "art"

Captain America

liefeld_cap.gif

What the hell is up with his chest?

Blatant rip offs , gee remind you of anyone-

agent.gif

fighting_agent.gif

And there is my two cents. Any thoughts?

Tom

his work on new mutants 86-100(covers) was good, it revitalized the run, but anything after that pretty much sucked arse. 893whatthe.gif speaking of copycat, that honour goes to erik larsen, talk about YUCK! insane.gif

Uggghhh, is it just me or is there anybody cannot stand Liefeld. His art is boring, he copies from other comics, uses altered stock poses for everything and personifies everything that has been bad about comics- too many variant covers, late shipping, Image style art, portrayal of women, concentrating on art instead of story writing etc.. As an artist and writer, he has never grasped the elements of anatomy ( look at his characters arms, he cannot draw wrists so they always have their wrists covered and take a look at the Captain America below), character positioning/perspective, or storytelling. If I see one more character that looks like Cable in a different costume, I am going to puke. Does he even have any friends left in the business - Todd McFarlane, Jim Valentino, Marc Silvestri, Whilce Portacio, Erik Larsen , and Mark Busiek certainly do not have him on thier speed dial. My advice to Marvel, stay away from Liefeld - there is enough [!@#%^&^] that Marvel is putting out now anyway.

Here is some of his "art"

Captain America

liefeld_cap.gif

What the hell is up with his chest?

Wouldn't that picture of Cap be more appropriate in the "Hottest female hero-babe ever" thread??

To be fair....

Kirby created the Fighting American. Liefeld paid the Kirby family for the rights to use the character and apparently used recycled Cap America art that was completed prior to his sacking from Marvel.

I liked his New Mutants work. I also thought his Wolverine two issue stint a couple of years ago wasn't bad. Everything in between though was [!@#%^&^] but entertaining in a weird sort of way. Watching for costume changes after every page (and even on the same page on occasion) and obvious swipes of others made each Liefeld issue a challenge!

Jim

speaking of copycat, that honour goes to erik larsen, talk about YUCK! insane.gif

Hear hear! I could never understand the appeal of Larsen's art and actually wince when I see it!

Jim

And there is my two cents. Any thoughts?

Tom

What he said...and more mad.gif893frustrated.gif

I can just see his first cover now...Deadpool looking at Cable over his massive woman-like chest, saying, "[!@#%^&^], where are my damn feet?"

Check out the hand Cable is using to hold his gun barrel? Anything strange about that??? wink.gif

97720903230.4.GIF

I guess Cable is a righty - especially since he has two right hands.

Tomega

You know I was a big fan of his original New Mutants run as well, great story arc with the Cable character, confusing as hell but created a lot of interest. But I agree this is small potatoes, Jim Lee on Batman has got to the artist/book combo of the year and of course the Neal Adams imminent return.

Oh, my! Rob also has quite a few "anti-fan" sites online. I'm not familiar with his art (it passed me right by), so I was trying to find some galleries to see what all the fuss was about. That "Cable hand" pic is disastrous! Out of morbid curiosity, does anyone know of a Liefield art gallery online, or maybe even a "worst of?"

Does Rob even know how disliked his art is? His comment that he thought the invitatino was a practical joke hints at it...

while jim lee was at the wonder con signing, john dolyman the drummer to the rock band "system of the down", had a sign that read "im a rob liefield fan." he held it up behind jim's head while signing and had a picture taken as a practical joke. it was hilarious! 893applaud-thumb.gif i guess you just had to be there. wink.giflaugh.gif don't know if it was done in good humour or bad humour though. confused.gif

while jim lee was at the wonder con signing, john dolyman the drummer to the rock band "system of the down", had a sign that read "im a rob liefield fan." he held it up behind jim's head while signing and had a picture taken as a practical joke. it was hilarious! 893applaud-thumb.gif i guess you just had to be there. wink.giflaugh.gif don't know if it was done in good humour or bad humour though. confused.gif

Hmmmm Practical Joker, plays in kick [!@#%^&^] band and has a good sized comic collection that he sells at California Conventions regularly ie Frank and Sons, The Shrine. He sold at SD Con this year as well. Must be nice to be a rockstar comic collector 893scratchchin-thumb.gif