• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today's Gold is Silver....

118 posts in this topic

With that said, I do believe the appreciation of and collection of GA comics is for advanced collectors, and something you work up to as the pinnacle of collecting. The SA arguement of superiority is ALWAYS based on Spider-Man's popularity and Spider-Man alone....remove him for the equation and what are you left with......Ant Man, Iron Man and Supergirl? screwy.gif

Remove Batman from our world, and you are left with some of the greatest characters and greatest stories ever written.....Superman, The Green Lantern, The Sandman, The Human Torch, Captain America, The Sub-Mariner, and the list goes on and on and on. Silver exists because of Gold...I think your pal LAstyle7 should take a step back and realize this.

Whoa, cool your jets here Steve. You are being as disingenuous (sp?) here as the original poster / shill was. Don't let yourself get dragged to the bottom! Read over your statements and come to your senses! In the SA, as you should know since you stated you once were a collector of, even tring to intimate that after Spider-man one drops off to Ant Man or Iron Man is simply foolish! What about, to name a few: FFs, original X-Men, Daredevil, JLA, Metal Men, ... and the list goes on and on and on to quote you. You might not agree with how good those characters and their stories are but history stands on their side considering their longevity. Keep a little perspective here.

If we move away from keys and talk about non-keys, then GA absolutely inihilates the SA books.....it's not even close. I'll give you a few examples....recent acquisitions, and I challenge LAstyle7 or ANY SA collector to put 3 non-keys up against my 3 non-keys, and we'll take a vote to see which is superior by a landslide......you can even copy and paste this post in the SA section and let those guys vote as well. I'll show you mine...now you show me yours

(Sorry GA guys if you have seen these previously posted pics...need to make a point here to the Newbie)

Same here. You're asking GA collectors to vote GA books over SA books? Heck, that's like asking AA members to vote for or against prohibition! As much as I like GA, I can't possibly put down the SA that much. Restraint, my friend, restraint ...

As a johnny come lately, i have found this thread to be quite interesting. First off i will say that i am a unabashed collector of the marvel superhero genre..x-men basically. It was the comic that got me interested in comics and collecting of them evolved from my enjoyment of the stories within. Yes some of them can be a bit hokey and as one poster stated "watered down etc etc", but i have also have found that to be true in the GA genres as well. And in saying that though, i will gladly read SA and GA side by side because effectively i don't see a defining line between the two as they are both forms of conveying a story primarily through pictures with the written word to go along with those pictures...which i have enjoyed reading.

Now i am no great collector (my meager collection of 21) of the GA era as a lot of the posters are here, mainly limiting myself to the LB Cole covers that i've been impressed by over the years and considering how i view x-men it would be a surprise to know that instead of picking up a key x-men issue like GS X-Men, i bought 2 Cole covers...Blue Bolt #102 and Great Comics, maybe i am an exception to the rule.

The one thing that i have felt that when i have read discussions about GA vs SA that there is a GA "looking down" on SA collectors, while there is a SA "those old fuddy duddys" on GA collectors. Now i am not saying it is intentional, but it is like any other topic one can care to name when people feel passionate about what they collect and what is the "better".

Now i can look at ciorac's comment about speculators in SA vs GA and i would totally agree with that, but it would be interesting to see those who are collectors who didn't have an idea of what their collection is valued.

Would i love to have a complete high grade collection of x-men? Yes, that is my dream, but i am also collecting reading copies of the same run, so that i can enjoy that which i have enjoyed reading all these years. But i am also willing to complete my run at the VF and upwards level. Plus, to give in to my small GA craving, i'd like to collect in Fine or better...mainly because the better the grade, the more impressive the book looks...but then again who wouldn't say that.

Now ciorac says he "cracks open slabs" that amazes me in a way(sorry to use you as an example), but i totally respect the reason why it is done...to read and enjoy the stories within rather than just admiring the covers behind the plastic.

I guess what i am saying is that when you read some of the posts they do come across as decidedly belittling, on both sides of the era line.

Just my .038 aussie cents worth.

Exceedingly well said sir!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, I gues arguments of GA vs SA are kind of like the old" who can win in a race" type of argument. There will always be a special place in my heart for 1957 -1963 books. Marvel. DC, Archie Duck stuff.That's what I was reading as a kid and back then they were great works of art. I'm just more fascinated now by WWII GA. Fun stories, great propaganda and cool covers. Historically significant. But the key word for me is.... fun.

And if you ask me, an old 1930-40 book from the WW2 era just has so much more historical value to it then some common 1960, mass produced comic book for the college kid.

Yup. That's pretty much the rub for me. I look at so many of these GA books as historical and a legitimate part of this country's overall history. It's the birth of America's very own mythology... the superhero. And the WWII covers, well, I don't have to explain how those fit from a historical perspective. I don't know if you can say that about too many SA books.

I can totally see a history buff with no carnal knowledge of comic books,characters and superheros being drawn into GA books. And once you get started, there's so many different paths to go down and areas to pursue. It's like tapping your vein.

The SA arguement of superiority is ALWAYS based on Spider-Man's popularity and Spider-Man alone....remove him for the equation and what are you left with......Ant Man, Iron Man and Supergirl? screwy.gif

Remove Batman from our world, and you are left with some of the greatest characters and greatest stories ever written.....Superman, The Green Lantern, The Sandman, The Human Torch, Captain America, The Sub-Mariner, and the list goes on and on and on. Silver exists because of Gold...I think your pal LAstyle7 should take a step back and realize this.

Whoa, cool your jets here Steve. What about, to name a few: FFs, original X-Men, Daredevil, JLA, Metal Men, ... and the list goes on and on and on to quote you. You might not agree with how good those characters and their stories are but history stands on their side considering their longevity. Keep a little perspective here.

yeah....I guess the Newbie got to me a little.......Fantastic Four is a pretty cool title

And I HATE the implication that GA collecting is about just a few keys and covers. You've made a point of stating that GA collecting is exceptionally shallow and that only a few comics are being collected.

I'm glad this thriving GA board has been able to prove you wrong. poke2.gif

When did I say that? I'm a completist myself. Actually, Lou_Fine is the one who also says GA collectors should only collect keys and covers. (as I attempt to cleverly deflect all criticism towards another person) poke2.gif

tth2;

Never said that GA collectors should only be collecting keys and classic covers. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I will admit, however, that I did state that if you have only limited funds available as in my case, it is probably wiser to choose the keys and/or classic covers over the non-keys and/or mid-run issues. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Didn't I just see you giving advice to koko in the Suspense #3 thread to always go after the keys. poke2.gif

The SA arguement of superiority is ALWAYS based on Spider-Man's popularity and Spider-Man alone

Uh, I prefer SA to GA, but I loathe Spider-Man and never collected him, even in my Marvel zombie days.

Didn't I just see you giving advice to koko in the Suspense #3 thread to always go after the keys. poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif Just giving him strategic advice to get the key first and THEN complete the rest of the run. But I DO think he should complete the run, and not skip the non-keys and non-classic covers.

I have to admit, I am puzzled by how many GA collectors seem to eschew mid-run books if they're not keys or classic covers. I was shocked by how low (relatively speaking) some mid-run Church Actions went for on Heritage during the last couple of years.

The SA arguement of superiority is ALWAYS based on Spider-Man's popularity and Spider-Man alone

Uh, I prefer SA to GA, but I loathe Spider-Man and never collected him, even in my Marvel zombie days.

my 10 year old / 5th grade daughter knows I collect comics, but I really don't mention the characters or titles to her........so just this past weekend I asked her how she and her friends at school felt about Spider-Man, Superman and Batman ----( I wanted to get the perspective of a reading age kid, even though she's a girl, who is not "in the game" like we are ). Here were her answers...thought you might find this interesting as I did:

Spider-Man: " he shoots a web out of his wrist - big deal "

Batman: " he is the coolest, he's great! "

Superman: " who's he? "

my 10 year old / 5th grade daughter knows I collect comics, but I really don't mention the characters or titles to her........so just this past weekend I asked her how she and her friends at school felt about Spider-Man, Superman and Batman ----( I wanted to get the perspective of a reading age kid, even though she's a girl, who is not "in the game" like we are ). Here were her answers...thought you might find this interesting as I did:

Spider-Man: " he shoots a web out of his wrist - big deal "

Batman: " he is the coolest, he's great! "

Superman: " who's he? "

I think your daughter may be slanted to your collecting taste. My 5 year old nephew can't seem to get enough Spider-Man junk to make him happy. Action figures, movie posters and web shooters. Sadly, no comics. sorry.gif

My 3 year old daughter likes Wonder Woman a lot. Just this weekend she wanted to go through the Gerber guide WW and Sensation pages, asking me what the story was behind each cover (which I had to make up on the spot). She especially like the covers where a bad guy captured Wonder Woman and I had to explain how she escaped and then sent him to jail. Then she wanted to act out some of those stories with me being the bad guy and herself being Wonder Woman.

A pretty good way to kill a few hours indoors in Chicago when it was 2 degrees outside. We'll do that again, I'm sure.

Then perhaps it's time to change your name from Norrin Radd to Fang Gow.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'll think about it. thumbsup2.gif

And I HATE the implication that GA collecting is about just a few keys and covers. You've made a point of stating that GA collecting is exceptionally shallow and that only a few comics are being collected.

I'm glad this thriving GA board has been able to prove you wrong. poke2.gif

When did I say that?

Here's the post that ruffled my feathers..... "everyone is chasing the trophy issues and no one seems to care about the mid-run/non-key issues"

And then there's this little tidbit... "I don't see anyone going after any of the major GA runs."

As a lawyer I'm sure you are aware of the term smoking gun. smirk.gif

And then there's this little tidbit... "I don't see anyone going after any of the major GA runs."

I would love to own a full run of Planet Comics, Jungle Comics, Jumbo Comics, etc., but unfortunately, it gets to be way too expensive. That's why a lot of us have to pick and choose our GA collections based on favorite covers, artists, characters and/or stories.

I would love to own a full run of Planet Comics, Jungle Comics, Jumbo Comics, etc., but unfortunately, it gets to be way too expensive. That's why a lot of us have to pick and choose our GA collections based on favorite covers, artists, characters and/or stories.

Very true...lots of great books out there, but you have to put bounds on your goals unless there are no bounds on your funds. Classic covers have been broken out on GA books for a while new, but the same phenomenom is starting to affect SA and BA books as well. When OS listed a run of 10/20/30 issues all at $10 a pop, who cared, but when mid-run copies start selling over $100/$200 each, collectors become more selective with their $$.

When you browse through a Copper or Modern most advertisement slated toward Video & role playing games and as the newer comics continue so do the ads with newer systems and role playing games. I love the GA and think it will always be the best overall with Batman & Human Torch...but I'm sure the majority rules and that would be the All New Generation!! So unless you can convert the young masses to lean toward GA, I don't see it calling the shots in 20 years. Remember Superman started off about corruption (the mob) in Cleveland, OH in the 1930's...Captain America was about WW II and Communism & so on. I don't think these topics are going to interest the new comic reader, so if it isn't about investing or the covers it's a dead issue. Also today's comics don't have Superman or Spiderman fighting off Islamic Fascists. If you did it wouldn't be politically correct and the ACLU would be causing a stir. It's a different time, sure a middle age SA collector can relate to GA and would buy a key GA for a ton, but will a Modern do the same? I don't think so.

Why dont you just do the right thing and conclude your transaction on books you were selling in the Marketplace confused-smiley-013.gif

You have people that bought books you were advertising for sale, you have people that you have purchased books from but have been ignoring them all sumo.gif