• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today's Gold is Silver....

118 posts in this topic

I'm sure most of you would agree Silver is the most popular class in comics at this point in time. Some key reasons release of marvel movies this summer as well as the substantial price difference in the top 10 gold versus silver books. Whiz Comics #2 comes in at $88,000.00 verus Amazing Fantasy #15 at $43,000.00..this is a perfect example of how undervalued a silver age comic is compared to gold. Also there should be a substantial amount of gold collections coming to the table as more older collectors past on. I don't think CGC helps matters much either when they preach anything below a 9.4 isn't investment grade. This type of mentality has collectors paying way too much for a 9.6 versus 9.4...last maybe the new Wonder Woman movie will revive the Golden age..don't count on it slowing Spider-man down.

Actually CGC doesn't preach the grades, and investment grades in gold can start at 2.0 for a lot of books. Plus GA books are valued more due to relative scarcity compared to Silver Age which are common even in high grades without restoration. For me, as a new collector and having relatively low budget for comics(there goes your argument?), I still pick GA over the others simply because it is a bigger piece of history and was/is/will always have the most impact on the hobby. And this shouldn't suprise you.

If you want to say GA is slow on value rise vs SA keys, I'd just say Action #1 and Tec'27 and watch for pre-Batman tec's in the next few years to let it sink in.

I don't think CGC helps matters much either when they preach anything below a 9.4 isn't investment grade.

Where does CGC preach that?

I spoke to the CGC's pedigree personel on Friday and they suggested that I have my books pre-graded, so that anything under investment grade 9.4 wouldn't be slabbed.

btw, my comparison wasn't about increase since Amazing Fantasy 15 only increase 1% in 2006. It was to compare on a basis that if I'm going to spend 88k on 1 copic at 9.2 it would be a comic that has room to rise without maxing out value.

I don't think CGC helps matters much either when they preach anything below a 9.4 isn't investment grade.

I spoke to the CGC's pedigree personel on Friday and they suggested that I have my books pre-graded, so that anything under investment grade 9.4 wouldn't be slabbed.

What era of books are you talking about? I highly doubt that anyone at CGC recommended that you only certify Gold or Silver Age that pre-grade at 9.4 or better.

Maybe you were talking about copper or modern?

What era of books are you talking about? I highly doubt that anyone at CGC recommended that you only certify Gold or Silver Age that pre-grade at 9.4 or better.

IMHO anything 8.0 & higher (6.0 for key issues) is collectible in SA...I have no GA's as of yet, but offer me the choice between an old Timely Captain America or Sub-Mariner in 5.5-6.0 or any SA non key in 9.4 and I will take the GA every time

this is a perfect example of how undervalued a silver age comic is compared to gold.

A book is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If AF15 sells for $45k in 9.4, then guess what, that's what it's worth and it's not undervalued.

I wonder how many copies there are of Whiz 2 9.0+ vs AF 15 9.0+? That might have something to do with the price difference between the two as well.

For Silver age, that makes a little sense because they are so much more common; even more so for copper/modern. That doesn't apply to GA.

Jeff;

Since he was talking to CGC's pedigree personnel, this would only make sense if it was for a pending pedigree or high grade collection, especially if the submittor was planning to hold onto the books himself as opposed to putting them up for sale in the marketplace.

After all, if you have a large collection of books that you are planning to have graded and kept in your collection, you are probably talking about an outlay of tens of thousands of dollars without any immediate return. In this situation, pre-screening at a higher level would help to reduce costs until you decide it's time to sell the books.

I would never imagine CGC recommending this pre-screening strategy for a regular submission.

Jeff;

Since he was talking to CGC's pedigree personnel, this would only make sense if it was for a pending pedigree or high grade collection, especially if the submittor was planning to hold onto the books himself as opposed to putting them up for sale in the marketplace.

After all, if you have a large collection of books that you are planning to have graded and kept in your collection, you are probably talking about an outlay of tens of thousands of dollars without any immediate return. In this situation, pre-screening at a higher level would help to reduce costs until you decide it's time to sell the books.

I would never imagine CGC recommending this pre-screening strategy for a regular submission.

Absolutely agree. I'm just trying to get more details about his conversation with CGC. If we're talking about a legitimate SA pedigree, would CGC really recommend a cut-off of 9.4?

Jeff;

Absolutely agree. I'm just trying to get more details about his conversation with CGC. If we're talking about a legitimate SA pedigree, would CGC really recommend a cut-off of 9.4?

Maybe it's a Copper/Modern Age pedigree stooges.gif Plenty of books from other SA/Bronze pedigrees have grades lower then 9.4

btw, my comparison wasn't about increase since Amazing Fantasy 15 only increase 1% in 2006. It was to compare on a basis that if I'm going to spend 88k on 1 copic at 9.2 it would be a comic that has room to rise without maxing out value.

An important point to note here is that comparing GA to SA is almost like comparing apples to oranges. Like Jon Berk just stated in another thread here, GA is all about collecting the books, while SA is all about collecting the condition.

As a result, the increases in guide is probably also a reflection of the fact that over 90% of any SA book does not really go up in market price as there is just no demand for any book in say 9.0 condition or less.

GA on the other hand runs along with their usual 10% increase because market prices tend to move up across the board in virtually all condition grades, whereas this is just not the case for SA or BA books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jeff;

Yes, I certainly can see CGC recommending a higher than normal cut-off at 9.4 if the submittor was not planning to sell any books and was also striving to keep immediate costs within a reasonable range.

If the submittor was planning to sell the books after having them graded, I certainly would not expect a SA cut-off at 9.4.

no certain age was mentioned

Jeff;

GIVE THAT MAN A CIGAR!!

An important point to note here is that comparing GA to SA is almost like comparing apples to oranges. Like Jon Berk just stated in another thread here, GA is all about collecting the books, while SA is all about collecting the condition.

As a result, the increases in guide is probably also a reflection of the fact that over 90% of any SA book does not really go up in market price as there is just no demand for any book in say 9.0 condition or less.

GA on the other hand runs along with their usual 10% increase because market prices tend to move up across the board in virtually all condition grades, whereas this is just not the case for SA or BA books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

WOW, THIS IS EXPLAINS WHY MY LOW GRADE GA CAPTAIN AMERICAS SOLD...This helps alot..Thank You!!! cool.gif